+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

I watched the first couple seconds of the video and turned it off. We already know what the side effects are. The last thing I need is another person freaking me out about something I'm doing to improve the quality of my life. If I wanted that, I'd spend all day reading the posts at Propeciahelp.com going hysterical at all the crazy stories going on over there.

The simple fact of the matter is that the drug works for people. If you're someone like me who's just starting to notice their hairloss, you've got two options:

1) Do nothing and see how long it takes for your hair to fall out, or
    2) Take action, see if it works, and risk getting side effects

It's not hard to find people who've used it for years and haven't experienced any sides (they're higher in number on sites that don't specialize in hair loss), and that's enough peace of mind for me to go ahead and start using it myself. Maybe I'll be lucky, maybe I won't. Those odds are much better than being just plain unlucky.

Finasteride caused me to have painful nipples. I was scared, so I quit. I was on it for about 7 months, but didn't see any regrowth. It really varies by the person.

So I woke up this morning and had no problem taking another 1/4 pill of fin. I got myself all in a panic yesterday (because of the negative talk of propecia) and was checking threads on here for a few hours. I decided that it was too early to pull the plug on a pill that can help me out with something that bothers me- hair loss. I also did something else. I went to the barber and got my hair taken down short to a 1 1/2. Part of me is accepting my balding and is willing to rock the bald look. The other part of me wants to believe that I can keep the hair I have, and maybe even someday regrow the hair I have lost. For me, stoping the fin is giving up the hope of keeping hair. I'm not quite ready to give up that hope. I'll continue to take the fin and will try not to worry so much about sides, but will see what happens. I'm two weeks in with no issues other than being a chicken little .

I wanted to thank the level headed people on here that spoke to me more than the negative people who post here.

Default Long Term Side Effects of Finaseride Video

This is a very disturbing video. Unfortunately, it makes many generalizations and accusations that are not referenced to allow examination of its claims. I would hope that the authors of this video would supply their references.

I will be posting a poll I am conducting of fellow hair transplant surgeons. I will post the final tabulation but at the moment, I have estimates totaling 20,000 patients from 12 surgeons who have been prescribing finasteride since it received approval in the late 90s. At the moment, THERE ARE NO REPORTED SIDE EFFECTS reported that persisted after the patients stopped the medication. Very strange, indeed, that these findings are at such odds with the video. I will be sure that the reporting physicians do not sell finasteride in their practices or have any other bias motivating distortion of their data.

Quote Originally Posted by William Reed, MD View Post
    This is a very disturbing video. Unfortunately, it makes many generalizations and accusations that are not referenced to allow examination of its claims. I would hope that the authors of this video would supply their references.

I will be posting a poll I am conducting of fellow hair transplant surgeons. I will post the final tabulation but at the moment, I have estimates totaling 20,000 patients from 12 surgeons who have been prescribing finasteride since it received approval in the late 90s. At the moment, THERE ARE NO REPORTED SIDE EFFECTS reported that persisted after the patients stopped the medication. Very strange, indeed, that these findings are at such odds with the video. I will be sure that the reporting physicians do not sell finasteride in their practices or have any other bias motivating distortion of their data.
    This makes me feel better about the whole thing.

Thumbs up

This is a great idea Dr. Reed! Thanks for doing this. These videos are really disturbing and I think they provide bogus claims that are unnecessarily frightening all of us who take Propecia and those who would like to start.

I agree with Winston there is too much fear mongering on the web that is never properly back up by reputable, experienced doctors.

Default Finaseride Video: Long Term Side Effects

An update on the informal survey that I have been doing regarding the frequency of long term side effects even after the discontinuation of finasteride: None of the 17 surgeons reporting on over an estimated 30,000 patients begun on finasteride report having received feedback that the medicine has ever created long term, irreversible side effects of any sort.

A healthy discussion is always beneficial. I would encourage the authors of this very disturbing film to respond to this data that could not be further from supporting their contention of irreversible dangers from taking finasteride. A good start would be for them to publish their references that they feel support their positions. I shall try to tract down the physician who is shown on the video and will get back to you about his response.

playsound Propecia Long Term Side Effects | Interview With William Reed, M.D.

IAHRS accepted member William H. Reed, M.D. discusses his findings of an informal study in which he polled 17 hair restoration practices that have treated more than 30,0000 patients with Propecia.

Mr. Reed,

With all due respect sir, you are providing false information to the public. There are many doctors who are aware of the permanent side effects that finasteride(5 alph reductase II inhibitor) has caused to many individuals.

As you may know(since you went to medical school), finasteride blocks DHT(5 alpha reductsase II receptor *70% of DHT*), and also lowers allopregnolone levels along with inhibiting a very important neurosteroid called "GABA". TSH,T4, Free T3, Reverse T3 have come back abnormal after discontinuing the drug.

Putting that aside, I truely question your ethics on this board. Well reknowned doctors such as Dr. Goldstein, Dr. Jacob, Dr. Crisler, Dr. Irwig and some others acknowledges the long term permanent side effects this drug has caused. Many of these doctors have seens 100's of sufferers*including me* who discontinuted the drug and have not recovered from these side effects which include: (Hypothyroidsm, Erectile Dysfunction, Watery Ejaculate, Depressed Testosterone levels: Depressed LH & FSH, High Estrogen, and Gynocomestia.

You can also find videos on youtube, and blogs regarding these side effects. YES, they are very real..

In conlusion, I must say I'm completely shocked along with many other who are suffering side effects with your post. We are losing extreme faith in the U.S. medical system due unethical and dishonest actions.

Regards,

Steve