+ Reply to Thread

Default Discussing hair loss problem with a dermatologist or a trichologist

I have been hanging around this forum for the past few weeks and have read a fair amount of discussion/advice of how to prevent/slow down the process of hair loss.

I am approaching my mid 40s and have been loosing my hair from the top of my head for the past 15+ years or so. However, I am not quite bald yet!

Having read the discussion/advice of how to prevent/slow down the process of hair loss on this forum and a few other forums, I have reached the conclusion that I am planning to see a dermatologist or a trichologist to get professional advice to on how to prevent/slow down the process of hair loss. (No disrespect to anyone on this forum).

Have any of you guys visited one of these professionals before? If so, was it worthwhile?

Finally, if I do decide to visit one of these professionals, how do I choose which dermatologist/trichologist to visit? Do I just look through the directory of dermatologists and trichologists and find one nearest to where I live or do I choose using another criteria?

What would you advice?

Thanks in advance for your response.

It has been many years since I went to a dermatologist, but my approach at finding any doctor is fairly straight forward.

Use search engine search dermatologist or dermatology in my area. It should give you a listing of doctors. Then you can query that specific doctor - patient reviews, I just came across vitals.com as one source and there are others. It gives patient reviews, ease of appointment, follow up, schools attended, year graduated, age etc. Perhaps, find someone in their 40’s with good patient reviews that might be more sensitive to what you’re experiencing.
    You should already know what real treatments are out there from this forum.

Hope this helps you.

If you have a general practitioner that you trust, you could also ask him or her for a referral to a good dermatologist. They usually know of a few reputable ones and would be able to point you in the direction of one well-suited to your personality and needs.

Default Trichologists

Hi,

At the very beggining of my hairloss research (in fact the very first thing i did) i went on to site trichologists.org.uk, i found the site helpful at that stage in my research and found a recommended trichologist in my area on their site and visited that guy on approx 4 occasions, and apart from being a good person to talk to and a person that listened to my thoughts, he did sell me some snake potions that i used for a few months (i was willing to try anything then!) he wasn't massively helpful.

Each to their own, one man's experience is another mans lack of effort, i just made that up but i think you should go with what you think's best and learn from it and then of course let us know what happens...

57mph