+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Quote Originally Posted by Louish View Post
    All this is very well known but since the long term conséquences are difficult to quantify since they would require long term follow ups (who would pay for it?) it is easier to accept a comforting lie and focus on the occurrence of short term usual side effects like impotence and gynecomastia. More money for big pharma and more hair for the average self conscious MPB sufferer.
    Yeah that makes sense. Thanks. Can you also answer my last question about minoxidil?

Quote Originally Posted by Vantage View Post
    Yeah that makes sense. Thanks. Can you also answer my last question about minoxidil?
    From what I know minox is inhibiting the hydroxylation of Lysine in vitro. This is a crucial step because the different collagen polypeptides are link together via an Hydrogen bond called Schiff base and without it collagen structure will be deficient. A problem well known with Scurvy as vitamin C is a mandatory coenzyme for said hydroxylation. That being said, in vivo studies didn't replicate those results from what I have read. Anyway minox barely works for it's intended purpose, it's a pain to apply and you mess with your blood pressure on a daily basis. I would never touch it either.

Quote Originally Posted by goblue View Post
    Hi All,

I'm a mid-twenties male with MPB and I have a simple question aimed at those with significant experience in these forums (someone like Desmond): Is there anything worth looking at besides the big 3 (minox, propecia, niz)?

I currently take rogaine and niz, and am likely starting propecia soon. Just a casual look throughout all of the forums, however, leaves one inundated with other options, including: topical propecia, s5 cream, RU, revivogen, bespoke, stronger minox (15%), and others.

I know that there are a ton of forums covering this, and trust me, I've looked through them. But doing so has honestly left me with more questions than answers. I view most vitamin and natural cures as snake oil. but some of the medications listed above seem promising (especially topical propecia, which my derm prescribed).

So in short: Is there anything else worth taking a strong look at? I'm hoping to definitively get an answer from those who have clearly demonstrated their experience in this area through this forum (which, I consider to be the definitive place for honest talk regarding balding meds). Apologies if this has been answered before, but I couldn't find it, and I think storing this answer in one place could be really helpful for those looking for an answer.
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4289931/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4289931/