+ Reply to Thread

Default Started Finasteride- Happy

So several months ago, I posted on here and was on the fence about getting on propecia. At 34, I had been slowly losing hair around my temples and it has been progressing back to where I was starting to realize- I'm definitely balding. I started to cut my hair short, and after getting some positive feedback here, I felt fine cutting my hair 1.5 top and a shadow fade on the sides. Most of the feedback I got was that I looked fine with the close to shaved head- although my wife said I looked like I was a white supremicist- thanks dear. So I maintained the short hair cut with bi-monthly haircuts and was thinking I might just continue to do that the rest of my life. Then I missed a couple of appointments with my barber and my hair started growing back in. I looked at my hair, and began to think I wasn't quite ready to give up on it just yet.

Last week, I had an appointment with my dermatologist for a general screening for skin cancer (I'm a beach boy). I asked my doctor if he ever prescribed propecia. He said he does all the time and he recommended it saying that if he was losing his hair, he would definitely be on it. He wrote me out a script for Proscar. I took it to the pharmacy and got generic 5mg Finasteride for $10 under insurrance. I bought a pill cutter and am taking 1/4 pill a day as instructed. I have to say it feels really good doing something about my hair loss. I'm not expecting any miracles. I would be happy if I just kept what hair I have.

I was surprised how simple it was to get a prescription and feel silly about not asking for it sooner. My doctor said a lot of guys just don't ask. Early on, I think I was in denial thinking that I wasn't balding, but was just getting a more mature hair line. For me, it was the sides that scared me away. I've read a bit about possible sexual side effects, but in the end I decided to disregard that. From what I have read, I've come to the conclusion that these sides are over exagerated, over reported and are often brought on by unnecessary worry and negative thoughts. I'm happy that I am doing something to combat my hair loss and am optimistic that I will someday look in the mirror and see more hair instead of less. If anything, this raises my confidence and that will translate to a better sex life. Another thing- I'm not dwelling on hair. I've really been distracting myself with my new passion of running. I think it is healthy to find positive things in your life to occupy your time and thoughts.

Since I am really new in my first week of treatment, I will check back in later on to report my results. When can I expect to see any changes? From what I have gathered, I need to be patient and give it a year. What is the earliest people here have seen positive changes? Oh- I also added Nizoral to my treatment plan.

Wish me luck.

Hey man. Congrats on starting a regimen! I also felt very relieved when I started my regimen! Knowing you are doing something is always comforting.

Give it at least a year, yeah.

Good luck man

Thanks! It is also good to know that there are other hair treatment products in the works and if we can just hold on a while longer, better options will become available.

IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon Dr. Lindsey's Avatar

Great. Propecia is an excellent option for men. As I have posted before, I had that side effect we all don't want and stopped it after 11 months. Interestingly though, we did a case on a guy my age (45) Friday, who swears that his drive has been better than ever on propecia. His wife agreed, and sat with him the entire 1500 graft case.

While I hadn't seen him before propecia, he said it really helped his crown and all we did was a plug repair up front that propecia wouldn't have done anyway.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA
    William Lindsey, MD
    Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
    View my IAHRS Profile