+ Reply to Thread

Default Using Brand Name Propecia for 12Years Great Results Could Generic Cause Hair Loss?

Brand name Propecia (1mg) Costs me about $110 a month as my insurance won't cover it.
    I've had great results for 12 years. If I switch to Generic Propecia covered by my insurance, I'll save about $1000 a year. I'm reluctant to do so out of fear that it will not work as well as the Brand name and I'll lose hair as a result. Is this unfounded? I do know that when I went from brand name Lexapro for Anxiety to a generic it didn't work (and many people on the internet complained the same) and I had to revert back to the brand name. What is your opinion. Essentially I'm paying an extra $1000 a year to not take the chance a Generic will cause me hair loss

Its the same thing don't waste your money.

Generics are not always the same as Brands and many times they are not effective. If someone has used the Generic and had success fine but they are not the same thing.

I would avoid switching as I have read several horror stores where people have switched and went down hill. People who tend to switch brands later down the line have had issues.

Quote Originally Posted by LarryFine4 View Post
    Generics are not always the same as Brands and many times they are not effective. If someone has used the Generic and had success fine but they are not the same thing.
    Where are you getting your information? My wife is a clinical pharmacist and makes decisions on what drugs are allowed at the hospital. She has done many many studies comparing drugs and also worked in the industry. I asked her and she said they are the same the FDA mandates it.

Quote Originally Posted by mrclean View Post
    Where are you getting your information? My wife is a clinical pharmacist and makes decisions on what drugs are allowed at the hospital. She has done many many studies comparing drugs and also worked in the industry. I asked her and she said they are the same the FDA mandates it.
    Then ask your wife about the consistency? Why is it over the years people who have switched from legit brands to generics have loads ground with Hairloss. This has be proven through the years, tried and tested.

Guys take my advice over the years I have been on the forums I have seen this being a regular pattern. Do not switch brands, stick to the brand your initially started, don’t try fixing something if it is not brocken.

I have switched to generic advodart and had no issues. Show me the studies where generic advodart is not as effective. She said consistency is the same except for a very few drugs and none are the ones we are discussing here. About 50 percent of brand name drugs that are now generics are manufactured by the company the originally made the brand name.

Yes your wife is correct about that but what you neglect to say is that the percentage of ingredients and amounts for generics is not the same exact amount but an amount that is between a % of that amount which is not the same as the brand amount. Also active ingredients in the generic can be different.

Bottom line is you are not getting an exact duplicate of what is in the Brand Prescription. Usually it works fine but in some cases it doesn't. I have to take Brand Name Lexapro for Anxiety as the generic just puts me on edge and is a common complaint online by people. Generic Blood Pressure medicine works just fine. Before it was sold over the Counter, I had to use Brand Name Flonase as the Generic screwed up my air passages.

I have no idea if the Generic Propecia would or would not work for me but the problem is, if it doesn't its not like I could just go back and get an instant fix

I have switched to generic advodart and had no issues. Show me the studies where generic advodart is not as effective. She said consistency is the same except for a very few drugs and none are the ones we are discussing here. About 50 percent of brand name drugs that are now generics are manufactured by the company the originally made the brand name.
    Good to know. Unfortunately Propecia isn't one of them!

Quote Originally Posted by Jazz1 View Post
    Then ask your wife about the consistency? Why is it over the years people who have switched from legit brands to generics have loads ground with Hairloss. This has be proven through the years, tried and tested.

Guys take my advice over the years I have been on the forums I have seen this being a regular pattern. Do not switch brands, stick to the brand your initially started, don’t try fixing something if it is not brocken.
    Thanks for info. As I mentioned to someone else, the problem if the generic isn't working is that you'll get hair loss that you'll either not get back or it would take a long amount of time. Based on comments here I'm going to stick with the Brand Name!