+ Reply to Thread

Default How long will I last?

Hey everyone, I'm 16 years old and just under a year ago I noticed that I had a slightly receding hairline. I've always had a high hairline and large temples and you can see it in pictures of me as a kid. I noticed along where my hairline should be there's miniaturised hair and since I already have fair hair these hairs are completely white, short and basically invisible. It's not bad at all right now and my hair covers it up anyways but what I want to know is if I'll last to around 24 years old without being nw3. Once past 24 I have no problem shaving my head. I saw a picture of me from the side when I had short hair around 7 months ago and my hairline's the exact same so there hasn't been any recent recession. Also I'm willing to take finasteride or minoxidil but not willing to get a hair transplant. I'm guessing I'll have to take finasteride or somethin' if I want to last 8 years and not be nw3.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean123 View Post
    Hey everyone, I'm 16 years old and just under a year ago I noticed that I had a slightly receding hairline. I've always had a high hairline and large temples and you can see it in pictures of me as a kid. I noticed along where my hairline should be there's miniaturised hair and since I already have fair hair these hairs are completely white, short and basically invisible. It's not bad at all right now and my hair covers it up anyways but what I want to know is if I'll last to around 24 years old without being nw3. Once past 24 I have no problem shaving my head. I saw a picture of me from the side when I had short hair around 7 months ago and my hairline's the exact same so there hasn't been any recent recession. Also I'm willing to take finasteride or minoxidil but not willing to get a hair transplant. I'm guessing I'll have to take finasteride or somethin' if I want to last 8 years and not be nw3.
    It depends...everyone has a different rate of loss so it could happen very slowly or you could be bald at 24. I think you are too young for finasteride and sounds like you can wait. Hopefully something new will be here soon and we will have our hair and life back.
    Post some pictures and people can give better advice.

Losing hair at a young age is never a good sign, in terms of androgen alopecia.

I doubt you would be Norwood three at age 24 though. That's really agressive.

Scientists think there's hundreds of genes at play, so really, nobody knows.

There was a 21 year-old guy who was an N6, and wanted to get a HT. It can happen.

I'd start finasteride or somethin else in the future if it gets much worse. My shedding is fairly minimal, I've read threads with people saying they notice like 20-40 hairs falling out during a ten minute shower but I notice basically none. My mam said I have her dad's hair and he had a tiny bit left on top of his head when he died in his eighties so he wasn't slick bald. So with those factors in mind and the fact I have fin to fall back on can anyone make some kind of rough prediction?