+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by billchurch69 View Post
    It's been my (observational) experience that gay men put an even greater emphasis on youth and physical attraction than straight people do"
    Some... Not all!

There's also the simple fact that some look better with a shaved head .. although I don't think there's ever an example of an overweight bald guy who doesn't look substantially better, once he's gotten in shape, than he did previously. It's remarkable how differently people respond to better-defined facial features, a strong jawline (assuming one has this going for him) and well-fitting clothes.
    You are stating opinion, not fact. Some members of the gay community embrace those who don't have gym bodies and are slaves to fashion.

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by BaldBearded View Post
    Some... Not all!

You are stating opinion, not fact. Some members of the gay community embrace those who don't have gym bodies and are slaves to fashion.
    Sorry .. this bit was about men in general, not necessarily those in the gay community, and in relation to one's appearance with or without hair. Didn't necessarily mean that one needed a gym body to change or improve appearance; just that if you are overweight then losing weight often changes one's appearance in unanticipated ways. (i.e. being bald tends to emphasize one's bone structure and the angles of one's face.) And it isn't necessary to be a fashion slave or have a gym body to improve how clothes fit via weight loss. Obviously these are purely aesthetic observations and have nothing to do with character nor what's inside .. but such is the nature of these conversations. Without the superficial element, none of this "bald-talk" would be relevant ..

Now... I totally understand what you are saying, and it is indeed true for SOME guys, gay/str8 or otherwise.

Without the superficial element, none of this "bald-talk" would be relevant ..
    Absolutely! But what I do find, fascinating, now that you brought it up, is that there are so many men who focus only on their hair, as if NOTHING else matters, and if they "only had their hair" they would be whole. They would have the woman (or man), job, car, house etc. of their dreams, and let EVERYTHING else fall to shit.

I know that there are websites that focus on other aspects of body image, such as weight, physical fitness and other aspects of grooming and dress. For some reason, I see that hair (or the lack thereof) seems to be one of bigger obsessions.

Thanks for your comments!

Quote Originally Posted by BaldBearded View Post
    Now... I totally understand what you are saying, and it is indeed true for SOME guys, gay/str8 or otherwise.

Absolutely! But what I do find, fascinating, now that you brought it up, is that there are so many men who focus only on their hair, as if NOTHING else matters, and if they "only had their hair" they would be whole. They would have the woman (or man), job, car, house etc. of their dreams, and let EVERYTHING else fall to shit.

I know that there are websites that focus on other aspects of body image, such as weight, physical fitness and other aspects of grooming and dress. For some reason, I see that hair (or the lack thereof) seems to be one of bigger obsessions.

Thanks for your comments!
    Agreed. Though my guess is that many gay guys have a heightened appreciation for masculinity that straight guys miss. It's also why many straight men fail to fully appreciate what attracts women to men and go for the most simple and common denominator. Hair might be a supremely important element to one woman, but relatively irrelevant to another. As I heard one woman put it in describing whether she notices hair first in a man .. " I have hair ..."

As to hair obsession and men, I do believe it's symptomatic of when most aggressively-balding men first notice their condition. It tends to strike when one is most afraid of losing what he's had to work with up to this point. If your male psyche and sense of place in the world has kicked in from about 14 to 17, you don't really have time to process the dramatic shifts in appearance that going bald can represent at 18 or 19. It isn't the same as being 40 years old, looking around, and figuring "there are other things in life." All those other aspects of appearance .. body image, physical fitness etc .. are alterable. So one is not completely powerless in dealing with them. The only other superficial element that men deal with that comes close is being excessively short. And again, this isn't something that comes on suddenly at 18 or 19.

PS -- if you want example, there's a website that lists celebrity heights, both claimed and actual. You've never seen such obsession in your life as to how these guys go on about whether Brad Pitt is 5-10.5 or 5-11. The shoe discussions alone rival the talk about hairpieces and transplants on this website.