+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default only 2 -7 percent seek surgical or drug treatment?

http://stemcellbaldnesscures.com/com...inical-trials/

the company estimates that, of the 87 million people in the United States who suffer from hair loss, only 2% to 7% seek surgical or drug treatment. The same is true internationally due to the general lack of effective medical options for this widespread condition.

Is this really true? It just seems sad that there are products out there which atleast help some people and only a tiny minority of people are even trying them.

yeah...

Most people are ignorant to the fact that there are treatments that do in fact WORK. The lady that cut my hair said "NOPE, NOPE, NO" or something like that when I said that are treatments. Lol

People are either completely ignorant or still in the denial stage! or they have just given up hope.

I am glad I got obsessed about this so I could have sorted it out and started doing something.

Now I have to figure out how to not be obsessed...

IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon Dr. Glenn Charles's Avatar

It is true that only a very small percentage of people who suffer from genetic hair loss actually seek medical advise. We are working on getting the word out to the public that there have been some real advancements in medical and surgical treatments of hair loss. Then again there is also many who have hair loss and do not seem to let it bother them. Are they just in denial?
    Dr. Glenn Charles
    Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
    View my IAHRS Profile

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Glenn Charles View Post
    It is true that only a very small percentage of people who suffer from genetic hair loss actually seek medical advise. We are working on getting the word out to the public that there have been some real advancements in medical and surgical treatments of hair loss. Then again there is also many who have hair loss and do not seem to let it bother them. Are they just in denial?
    I'm not sure Doc Maybe some are in denial, but how long can you be in denial for you know? I think it's probably one of those things that men think they have to just put up with and maybe it doesn't bother some people as it bothers others. We are all different, but the statistic is incredibly low. Surely with the internet, more people will be seeking to do something about their hair loss. You just have to type hair loss into a search engine, I would imagine more people will try to do something about it in the future, just because the information is just a click away.

It's a mixture of this mentality:

There isn't a cure.
    There will be a cure before I lose it all or before it becomes too bad.
    It won't get that bad.
    I am not really balding, I have always had this bad hairline.
    Current treatments don't work. There are only scams.
    Hair transplants are only plugs and scams.
    When it gets very bad I will get a HT no big deal, I don't need treatments.
    I am only 17, my dad went bald like twice this age! I have nothing to worry about.
    Everybody has some sort of bald spot in bad lighting. I have nothing to worry about.
    I can just grow my hair longer, no problem.

(ofcourse this is all dumb thoughts)

Just to name a few things...some of those are very relevant to me...I am glad I finally educated myself a little bit.

There is a lot to know about hair loss. It is like a damn mine field of bad products and scams. It seems easy now but I remember being very close to buying a Hairmax lasercomb and provillus and all that GARBAGE products!

Glad I educated myeslf a little and found this forum.

I agree with Mick that many guys who lose their hair don't think it's a big deal and accept that eventually it's going to go. Heck If I starting losing hair at 30 I probably wouldn't be doing anything about it either. For the most part it's the males that start losing it at a young age that want to do something about it, and even a smaller percentage are not scared off by side effects from meds or a HT.

Most people just accept it and move on with their lives. The price of a costly prescription propecia or minoxidal each month while only giving you minimal gains doesn't seem worth it. Nor does paying another 10 grand on your 4th HT.

Propecia does not have minimal effects. 90% of people have the same or better hair, even after 5 years of use! That is BIG. If I had started taking it 2 years ago I would have had much better hair, and it would not have been that expensive if you use generics.

Definitely worth fighting this war.

Quote Originally Posted by KeepTheHair View Post
    Propecia does not have minimal effects. 90% of people have the same or better hair, even after 5 years of use! That is BIG. If I had started taking it 2 years ago I would have had much better hair, and it would not have been that expensive if you use generics.

Definitely worth fighting this war.
    Well said 'KeepTheHair'! Its funny, but I had a discussion with a collegue of mine and came to the conclusion that I'd rather fight this loss till the end than be rich!

Yeah dude... we are a social species. It means a lot to us how others perceive us. Our existence means nothing without the judgement of our fellow mammals... though it is all relative...so if you want to be judged good on your talents, then you will be judged badly on your negative things as well.

Hair makes people like me more. That is just how it is. It makes my life much easier than money, actually. So hair, yes...is extremely important and actually UNDER rated! If I knew it was this important I definitely would have read more 2-3 years ago. But as ALWAYS... you only know the worth of something once you lost it, the rest of the time you just take it for granted.