+ Reply to Thread

Smile Hi people :) 26, eight years.....

Hi people, just wanted to introduce myself and tell my story. I'm 26 years old (27 later this year) and have been experiencing "hair loss" for the past eight years. You may wonder why I put hair loss in inverted brackets, well here's the story. My hair has changed little since the intital hair loss occured at around eighteen. I noticed the temple area was thinning, ofcourse this was very alarming at the time (especially as I was very much in despair about other things at the time, I don't use that word despair lightly!). Fast forward 8 years and my hair loss is still basically the same. The temple on the right side of my head has thinned, but there are still some hairs there, although they are thin. The left side of my head is absolutely the same as it was when I was a kid, no hair loss at all. You can see there is a clear differance between the left and right temple. I noticed from looking at pictures from when I was a kid that my hair line has always been a little further back on the right side! But it has definately thinned since then.

Around 21 years old I used minoxodil for a period of 3 months maybe and some hair started to grow around the right temple, although I haven't used minoxodil since then, the hair that started to grow is still there! I now notice that some of the hair is thinning on the right side (I don't want to believe this is happening, but it is and denial will not get me anywhere!).

Well heres the deal, I'm going to start using minox again, what else should I use? I wish I kept using the minoxodil when I started, but my life has been pretty hard since I was 17 years old (long story and I'm not asking you to get the violins out shit happens, we just have to try and get on with it as best as we can!!!), so it hasn't been top of my priorities. But , I really need to start doing something about this. It's at a stage where I hope atleast it can be controlled.

Anyway thank you for reading and hope to hear from some of you soon

The benefits you gain from using minoxidil WILL go away if you don't use it anymore. So most likely the hair you grew wasn't hair from minox man.

My right temple has more hair than my left... =\ Quite a lot also. It looks way better than the other side LOL...least it doesn't look weird. Though my hair overall looks crap!

If you think you are balding man, get on finasteride. Speak to your doctor about it, preferably a good dermatologist.

Minoxidil is a really good option if you want some regrowth or density. There are some really good brands out these days.

I can't always re write and post my advice to everyone but basically, resaerch the following 3 things for a few weeks and get well educated about them:

Finasteride(pill treatment)
    Minoxidil(topical treatment)
    Ketoconazole(a shampoo)

Those 3 things really do work, several studies confirm each of them being effective. Nizoral shampoo has keto in it.

Speak with your doctor though and welcome to the forums man.

Read the forums too!

Thanks Keep, I'm reading Are you sure in rare instances the hair could not have stayed if indeed it was from the minox?

I can't be sure of that.

Though from every little bit of research I have done myself(I am no expert at all, just an obsessive hair loss sufferer) I have not found evidence for that. I doubt it can stay. You will shed the hair gained. Minoxidil is merely a treatment.

It's like watering a plant, if you stop it will die. But if you start again a new one might grow and so on. But if it is completely dead, then it can't grow . There are currently no non-surgical treatments that can be discontinued. You have to keep at it!

It is a constant battle...

Hmm interesting. I remember hearing a doctor on some documentary saying within ten years there will be a CURE for hair loss. This was a while ago, several years. Let's just hope it happens!

There should be one within 5 years, I hope. Well...there is already something but it is in phase 3 trials I think now? Histogens HSC formula . It's our main hope right now.

I hope so, as do us all here ! Nature can be very cruel.

Yeah, but don't get your hopes up.

Pretend as if there won't be a cure. Since that is the best way to go. Get yourself some treatments and educate yourself.

It will be a tough ride and a long fight. Preparation is key. lol

Keep you are defo an interesting character

Anyway, I think If i had to put myself into one of the norwood hairloss type it would be between type one/two, although I really don't think I fit into any perfectly.

Minox and Propecia seems like a good idea as recommended here.

Another thing I should mention and this may sound strange, but around the thinning temple area sometimes I feel a "pain". It's not painful, but its a feeling. It's hard to explain. I told my doctor once and he didn't seem to take any notice and looked at me like I was mad, but its there. Hard to explain...
    Last edited by Mick; 05-24-2010 at 08:29 PM. Reason: adding some more info

It might be inflammation? I am not sure.

What shampoo are you using? Post your current hair loss regimen or whatever you are doing lol.

BTW thanks