+ Reply to Thread
    Doctor Representative Haircenter's Avatar

Default Not All PRP is The Same

Dr. Cooley is one of the original pioneers of PRP with regards to hair loss and hair restoration. He has spent over a decade to come up with our current protocol used for our patients today. It is a constantly evolving protocol based on new technologies and developments in the field.

Dr. Cooley is confident in the efficacy of PRP, especially when properly combined with ACell, to help patients that have been deemed good candidates for the treatment. PRP w/ACell is effective for thickening hair in patients with diffused hair loss and is especially helpful for patients that are otherwise poor surgical candidates due to either poor donor supply or not enough loss to justify surgery in the first place. With our approach we've seen some very good results.

However, Dr. Cooley is becoming more concerned with the apparent explosion of PRP offerings in the marketplace as it seems that every medispa/ plastic surgeon/ dermatologist, etc. is offering the procedure, some with unrealistic claims.
    We at Carolina Dermatology Haircenter wish to help set the record straight about PRP. We'll be presenting numerous cases of PRP results with varying levels of improvements to show you what you can realistically expect or not expect. In our experience, PRP does not need to be administered two, three or four times a year to achieve optimal results. We typically administer one treatment with the expectation that this will be enough for at least one year of improvement.
    We see results manifest much like those of Propecia in that it generally takes three to six months to see the first signs of improvement and then the result can continue to improve for several months afterward. The longevity of these results does vary but we've seen some results stay strong for two and three years after only a single treatment. Per usual we find that PRP w/ACell works best when combined with other non-surgical treatments such as Propecia.

Below is our first case to present and it represents a mild visual improvement but an overall improvement of 25% was measured with cross sectional tricometry 7 months after the one procedure we administered. Looking at the part line you can see how it not only narrowed but the hairs on either side of the part line are stronger. This was what the patient experienced throughout the top of his scalp and he noted that he could have more hair styles due to the increased density. The patient was 45 years of age at the time of the treatment and was not on Propecia before or after treatment.

I represent Dr. Jerry Cooley online. All opinions are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Dr. Cooley. I am not a doctor.

Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
    View Dr. Cooley's IAHRS Profile

Visit Haircenter.com to learn why Jerry Cooley MD is a hair transplant doctor to consider.

Learn more about Jerry Cooley MD and Hair Center in Charlotte, NC

Get to Know Jerry Cooley MD and Carolina Dermatology Hair Center

For complimentary consultations with one of the leading hair transplant doctors worldwide please contact us here.

Hair Transplant Consultation With Jerry Cooley MD at HairCenter.com

Is it normal to see a worsening before thickening with prp? i had 2 treatments between june to today and i have lost more to the point that now my scalp is visible in all lighting.. Also, my hairline has receded further and i have pictures because it is very apparent.. Important to note that i had prp with a very professional doc who is known and it had no acell or any other additives.

Also, those pictures look "almost" the same. i would love to see the results that you are about to bring to light.

Doctor Representative Haircenter's Avatar

Hello Ziggy,

It is not unusual to see a response like this as we consider the treatment to act in a similar fashion as finasteride. For many people, taking finasteride can initiate a temporary shedding phase while the hair growth cycles are being reset. You should consult with your chosen clinic to keep them updated on your progress and final outcome.
    I represent Dr. Jerry Cooley online. All opinions are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Dr. Cooley. I am not a doctor.

Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
    View Dr. Cooley's IAHRS Profile

Visit Haircenter.com to learn why Jerry Cooley MD is a hair transplant doctor to consider.

Learn more about Jerry Cooley MD and Hair Center in Charlotte, NC

Get to Know Jerry Cooley MD and Carolina Dermatology Hair Center

For complimentary consultations with one of the leading hair transplant doctors worldwide please contact us here.

Hair Transplant Consultation With Jerry Cooley MD at HairCenter.com