+ Reply to Thread

Default 42 year old male

Hi, I'm Michael and I'm 42. I do have a question. I have thin hair on top and around the sides and back of my head it's thick. I'm not going bald but the hair follicles on top are thin. They seem to be getting thinner. I can take a hair from the side and compare it to one I pull from the top and you can see the difference. So, I wouldn't say I'm bald but have thin hair follicles on top.

What would be a good direction for me to go to try to make the thin hair follicles on top become thicker?

Thanks so much and I'm sure glad this forum is here...

Michael

talk to a doctor about propecia. that medication helps a lot of people. good luck.

Default Propecia

I had some dizziness from taking that so I had to stop it. I also thought that was for balding but I'm not balding, I just have thin hair follicles.

Male pattern baldness is progressive. Your hair becomes thinner and thinner until you eventually develop a bald spot.

I am no expert.

But if I was in your position I would try a smaller dose of finasteride(propecia) or try it every second or third day. It really is your only option.

Are you sure it is the source of your dizziness? Are you currently using minoxidil(rogaine)?

Minoxidil lowers blood pressure slightly in some patients(rare) and can thus cause dizziness. I have experienced this myself. Side effects tend to be exaggerated while you are ill.

In any case, I advice you to try minoxidil also. And also pick up a shampoo containing ketoconazole. Nizoral shampoo is the most popular.

Keep reading and educate yourself before it is too late. You are definitely in the denial stage. You ARE balding. It is most likely male pattern baldness. Speak a dermatologist.

Tackle this early.

Good luck.

Default ...

I'm not in denial. What an ugly word. I have been this thin for my whole life. It's always been this way. No one on my mom or dads side was ever bald. They have thinned on top a little but never bad. I have a thinner hair follicle on top than on the side.

It wasn't Propecia that made me dizzy, it was Avodart. So, I mispoke.

I haven't tried rogaine because that is only for the crown.

I have not given Propecia a try because I thought it was for bald people. I'm not there yet and not sure if I will be considering my family and how old I am now and the fact it's been this way since I was a kid.

I would seek professional medical advice from a dermatologist. You could also post some good clean clear pictures on this forum and possibly get one of the doctors who frequent here to help give you direction. I would immediately change shampoo to a ketoconazole as was stated either Nizoral or Regenepure.
    Minoxidil (Rogaine) does work on the front and middle scalp it was tested in trail only on the crown. I use the Foam and can attest it does work in the frontal area to maintain hair.
    Propecia, I would recommend at your age to see a urologist first and rule out the need for a PSA screen, because Propecia could mask a possible problem.

Default Thx

Now that is a great answer! I will post photos and thanks so much...

Welcome to the forum socialguy, it’s a good thing that you found this place. As suggested you really should seek the advice of a qualified professional. They can tell if you are experiencing male pattern baldness and discuss your treatment options. There's is no such thing as thin hair follicles. It is possible that you have fine hair or thinner diameter hair shafts, but normal non balding scalps have the same basic hair shaft size throughout the entire head. Post some pictures and try to understand that everyone here is attempting to help educate you and give you good advice.

You said they seem to be getting thinner. This implies that the process of miniaturization is taking place, and that those hairs could eventually be lost. It would definitely be worth trying propecia, and Rogaine too, as others have directed. This can halt or significantly slow the process and often thicken up miniaturized hairs.
    I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal

My FUE With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

Rogaine/Minoxidil is NOT just for the crown.