+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Is this male pattern balding or is this just a cowlick?

Recently, I got drafted so I went ahead to shave my head about 2 months ago (July 2017). My hair is currently about an inch long at the top and I started noticing what seems to either be a bald/thinning spot or a cowlick on the crown of my head. I have noticed a whorl at the back of my head last year, but I dismissed it as just a normal hair whorl/cowlick. When I shaved this year and it grew back I started noticing it again. However, I did not notice any signs of additional thinning/expansion though. I naturally have very thin, fine hairs that would not give me volume unless I use a large amount of products.

This was taken last year November 2016, when I still had decent hair length: https://imgur.com/a/L0hup

This was taken yesterday, 1 Oct 2017, with my hair about an inch long at the top and sides and back buzzed but growing back (first photo taken under direct bright light, 2nd in normal conditions): https://imgur.com/a/ptK6l

I am a 20 year old Asian male this year and my dad is 58, with his hair at around a Norwood 5V, and my paternal grandfather at maybe a Norwood 4 at 85 years old. I don't know much about my maternal grandfather, but my maternal uncles generally tend to have a head full of hair at ages 40-late 50s.

If it really is indeed male pattern balding, I am looking at a hair transplant when I'm about 30. I am hesitant about taking finasteride due to the risks, and also because I had a late start to puberty and I'm not even sure if I'm done now. If hair transplant is not a feasible idea for me, I'm thinking of transplanting the donor hairs to my beard region to just thicken the beard and sport a full beard shaved head look (my Asian ethnicity makes it impossible to grow a full beard).

May I please have your opinions on what is going on with my hair? Would appreciate experienced members chipping in, thank you. I've been worrying about this for weeks and it's really messing up my life schedule.

To me that does not appear to be balding because it appears that each pore is producing hairs. Ie, the space has not increases between hairs. However, I anticipate other people coming and telling you it appears to be thinning, and the truth is crown pictures are impossible to tell over the internet, especially for us amateurs. How is your hairline?

As a side note, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I do not believe you can transplant hairs from your scalp to your beard area. They are different types of hairs, grow at different rates, etc. Usually beard transplants utilize pubic or other body hair.

Quote Originally Posted by bonitis View Post
    To me that does not appear to be balding because it appears that each pore is producing hairs. Ie, the space has not increases between hairs. However, I anticipate other people coming and telling you it appears to be thinning, and the truth is crown pictures are impossible to tell over the internet, especially for us amateurs. How is your hairline?

As a side note, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I do not believe you can transplant hairs from your scalp to your beard area. They are different types of hairs, grow at different rates, etc. Usually beard transplants utilize pubic or other body hair.
    Hey there, thanks for replying. I would certainly hope it's not balding too, hopefully I can get more replies.

I think my hairline is fine, and I have not seen any major recessions at the regions above my temples yet. But I have no idea if this is due to the fact that I'm asian and perhaps thinning at the crown starts first for some of us.

So based on what you're seeing my crown isn't at a balding stage yet?

Here are some pictures of my hairline, I have a very naturally high forehead: https://imgur.com/a/lPW8N

Bump.

With your hair type, it is hard to tell.

Why is that? Is it because my hair is naturally very fine?

Quote Originally Posted by Shank View Post
    Why is that? Is it because my hair is naturally very fine?
    The pictures are TOO close to see clearly.

Quote Originally Posted by BaldBearded View Post
    The pictures are TOO close to see clearly.
    Do you mean too close in terms of distance from camera to my hair, or too close in terms of the time interval between the two sets of pictures??

If it's the former, would this be better? https://imgur.com/a/Jy3Oa

Appreciate your comments

Quote Originally Posted by Shank View Post
    Do you mean too close in terms of distance from camera to my hair, or too close in terms of the time interval between the two sets of pictures??

If it's the former, would this be better? https://imgur.com/a/Jy3Oa

Appreciate your comments
    Distance from camera to hair...

In the pic you posted of the crown... I see a small bit of thinning.