+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

you and your friends have all had bad hair transplants? did it just not re-grow when it was transplanted. i thought the success rate was higher.

LosingHairSucks,

I read this thread and I think that while the doctor did a good thing to turn you away I think that he should also maybe have spent more time explaining the challenges of working with thin donor areas.

First, my impression is that your donor area should be better defined for what it is. You have coarse hair but the density is low. This means you have fewer hairs available to move and fewer procedures available before your donor is depleted when compared to the average patient. Donor depletion does not just mean you can't have any more surgery, it means your donor area will probably look very unnatural with ultra-low density and/or the patchiness that may arise due to unnatural extraction patterns.

Second, your logic makes no sense regarding why the doctor may have turned you down. Do you think it makes more financial sense to have you coming back for maybe two or three consultations or one consultation and then surgery? I just don't see the business model in consultations. Consultations that have a fee usually do so because it prevents patients from coming in that aren't serious about having a procedure. As a former consultant, I can attest to the fact that if consultations are free, more people will sign up but most of them will not be serious about the procedure or they are there only for a prescription for finasteride. A consultation fee tells the clinic, usually, that the patient is serious about having a procedure and that they have done their own research before spending the money for a consultation. That is the idea, anyway, if the clinic has set up their website properly to encourage research.

Finally, you said "man i dont care how many hair transplant it would take..as i couldnt live with a head that has a bald spot...". How would you feel if you got the bald spot taken care of, and used all of your donor hair in the process, and you lost more hair and didn't have enough hair to address it? Would you shave and move on? That option would probably no longer be valid since you'd have the scar(s) from the surgery. If strip, you'd have the linear scar. If FUE, you'd have a few thousand dot scars. Is that better than having a bald spot? I believe that this is why the doctor turned you away. This isn't a short term fix. It is a long term investment of time and donor management, not to mention money.

The doctor was right to offer you non-surgical alternatives and if you aren't taking medication you should consider it. Without it, it is guaranteed that you'll lose more hair. With treatment, you may gain more hair, reduce the number of grafts needed to get you where you want to be, thereby making you a better overall candidate for one or more procedures. For every one doctor that says no to you, there are ten more that will say yes, meaning, most of them want your money and don't give a shit about your long term prospects. Remember that.
    Joe Tillman
    The original Hair Transplant Mentor

Interested to know which doctors I recommend?
    See the full list at HairTransplantMentor.com/hair-transplant-doctors

i think the success rates of the hair transplant depends on the surgeon one would choose..the better the surgeon. the better are your chances on getting your moneys worth

see am not gonna sit and wait for something new to come up... i'll just use the money i saved to improve my hair with whatever that is available to me.. and in this case hair transplantation surgery

there is no way that am gonna embrace baldness and just shave my head and live with a image i dont like... cuz thats what most of the guys would do

not me

PS i am going to get a hair transplant done next week

Doctor Representative

I can't believe any doctor would agree to that, your donor area is gonna look really sparse. But good luck anyways.
    I am a representative for Dr. Sean Behnam in Los Angeles, CA.
    My opinions are my own.

Quote Originally Posted by LosingHairSucks View Post
    i think the success rates of the hair transplant depends on the surgeon one would choose..the better the surgeon. the better are your chances on getting your moneys worth

see am not gonna sit and wait for something new to come up... i'll just use the money i saved to improve my hair with whatever that is available to me.. and in this case hair transplantation surgery

there is no way that am gonna embrace baldness and just shave my head and live with a image i dont like... cuz thats what most of the guys would do

not me

PS i am going to get a hair transplant done next week
    Of course the chances of success are higher with clinics that have better reputations. But there are two points to consider.

1. All clinics have bad results so don't believe otherwise.
    2. No clinic can make more donor hair appear out of thin air.

Regardless, it sounds like you're Hell bent on doing this so I wish you all the luck in the world. Btw, what kind of clinic can accept you for surgery and have an opening a week later? Was it a "last minute opening" or was that even mentioned?
    Joe Tillman
    The original Hair Transplant Mentor

Interested to know which doctors I recommend?
    See the full list at HairTransplantMentor.com/hair-transplant-doctors