+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default More bald research

Well here we go more bad news for baldies....
    "Our research found that men are regularly considered less handsome, less powerful and less likely to succeed – purely because of a lack of hair."

People still judge bald men as LESS handsome & successful | Daily Mail Online

I couldn't also help notice one of the comments made underneath from someone, who I think is spot on - "Confidence doesn't change whether a person looks good bald or not it helps his personality. That's like saying a confident fat woman is more attractive because she's confident and a none confident skinny woman isn't. Bald men aren't less attractive because they are bald, they are less attractive because their physical body type doesn't compliment a bald head. It's all about the man some men are made to sport a bald head like Michael Jordan and some aren't. Just like Halle Berry looks far better with short hair than long."

EXACTLY. Many will say it's just how you carry yourself and the confidence you portray but none of that really matters if you don't look good bald in the first place! As the person above says a fat girl may be confident, kind, feminine, sweet etc. but she's still fat regardless.

Doctor Representative

There's a lot I don't particularly like about this survey. Seems not very reliable to me.

Of course on average a man who's bald will probably be seen as less attractive/powerful than a man who isn't, just like how a man who is skinny will on average be seen as less attractive/powerful than a man who is muscular.

Regardless of that, I am pretty certain that a balding man who is anxious, self-conscious, and unhappy will be viewed as much less attractive/powerful than a balding man who is laid back, confident, and positive (or at least pretends to be). Not to mention having that second mindset will provide a much happier lifestyle in general.
    I am a representative for Dr. Sean Behnam in Los Angeles, CA.
    My opinions are my own.

We don't need a survey. The evidence is already obvious that hair loss is bad: the younger the man, the more likely he will have hair. Only explanation for this is that men who go bald young have fewer opportunities to pass their genes down to the next generation by impregnating women. And anything that increases the chances your genes will go extinct is about as bad as it can be.

you want better luck with women as a balding/bald guy? my advice is give up on American women. (good advice generally)

i too suffer from mpb and from experience- the only women that have really had an issue with it have been our fellow citizens. ive had women been attracted to me and when they see whats under my cap- do an about face and walk the other way.

not so with foreigners- not to mention they're usually way more attractive and cool. more classy and down to earth. i'm telling you- dont waste any time or energy chasing american women- they're not worth it

There's some truth to what you say, but it's more complicated than that. While a confident, intelligent, funny man who looks far better with a full head of hair will be at a disadvantage being bald, it could be argued that he'd be at an advantage over an unintelligent, under-confident, un-funny man with a Bryce Harper mane. If balding, extremely insecure men share one thing in common with full-haired, vain men, it's an obsession with their appearance. In both cases, many women will find this an extremely unattractive quality .. on par with being very cheap. Further, while a balding man with the "wrong" shape head or body type to support it will indeed be at a superficial disadvantage, many women will notice him even more if he is confident and genuinely not self-conscious. This likely doesn't hold true for very young women, but by the time they reach 30 or so, women with some experience in the world will have gauged enough men to be able to read through what is an act and what is innate and real.

There's no getting around the fact that, if you look awful bald, when the opposite sex first observes you that fact will stand out above others. That said, as human beings we aren't inanimate objects like cars or pieces of furniture, and our perceptions and are constantly shifting. First impressions may mean everything, but the first minute of observing someone is as much a "first" impression as the first five seconds. How does he carry himself? How are those around him responding to him? Does he seem engaged and happy to be alive, or distant, defeated, and fading into the wallpaper? Just as most women will be intrigued by a physically perfect man who seems comfortable in his own skin, many will be even more attracted to one who isn't cookie-cutter handsome but is just fine with himself. Women have way more experience with being judged on their appearance and even the very attractive ones find it a bit cumbersome after a while. Seeing someone of the opposite sex who has moved beyond such things can be a big draw.

I'm sure for every point like this made, men who have experienced balding (and particularly premature balding) will have a counter-argument. So be it. It doesn't make them wrong, but it also doesn't mean they are right in every circumstance. Life is a mixed bag and each of us has our individual experiences. I'm not arguing here that a five-two man with an oddly shaped head, pointy features and a lunatic fringe of hair in the back is going to out-Clooney George simply by virtue of total self-confidence. It's more subtle than that and involves knowing oneself and, at the end of the day, not obsessing or caring so much that you miss out on life. Easier said than done, yes. But take the example of the 5-2 balding man who, while he may have some near-future hope for a baldness cure, can never dream of reaching six feet. I'd think he's looking at most balding, obsessive tall guys and thinking "what a p--sy .."

Men whose primary concern is what women think, will fail with women no matter how they look.

good points. I agree - there's more to it than hair or no hair. The question is whether one can feel confident in spite of everything. For my part- I will likely never be totally confident with it- so i focus on other aspects if life to make up for it- my career, my passions, my interests. Coping with hairloss at such a youg age (started in late teens) crushed my confidence and took me out of the dating/romance game for most of my 20's. I,m now in my late 30s and it matters less and less as i get older. I spent those years developing my talents and skills- while friends of mine dealt with all the drama that comes with dating in those years. I feel like it has been a blessing in disguise.

Quote Originally Posted by Ahab View Post
    Men whose primary concern is what women think, will fail with women no matter how they look.
    True, perhaps, but you're really only paraphrasing Damone's advice to Rat in "Fast Times at Ridgemont High" ..

I'm tall and bald, and I think short hairy guys lucky because there are short hairy women around.

While I never liked the idea of tall bald women.

Quote Originally Posted by billchurch69 View Post
    True, perhaps, but you're really only paraphrasing Damone's advice to Rat in "Fast Times at Ridgemont High" ..
    Never saw the movie.