Default topical spironolactone

Dr. Redmond:

Have you heard if topical spironolactone works for women? Also, have any of your patients endured greater shedding while on the medication (passed the dread shed phase)?

Also, have you heard of any new types of medications that are being tested or evaluated to treat hair loss in women?

Mary

Default topical spiro

Mary, have you heard anything about topical spiro/ Also, do you know how many women experience the dread shed with either the topical or the oral?

Medical Advisor Geoffrey Redmond, MD, FACE's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mary123 View Post
    Dr. Redmond:

Have you heard if topical spironolactone works for women? Also, have any of your patients endured greater shedding while on the medication (passed the dread shed phase)?

Also, have you heard of any new types of medications that are being tested or evaluated to treat hair loss in women?

Mary
    Topical spiro was tested for acne about 20 yrs ago and was found to be ineffective. The problem is that it is hard to have a topical diffuse down to the hair follicles. Acne tends to respond to topicals so it topical spiro did not work for acne, it is unlikely to help alopecia. I am not aware of new drugs tested form female hair loss. Unfortunately, the pharmaceutical industry does not feel there is a market here so are not interested. In the past I have tried to interest companies to no avail. My guess is that the next medication for hair loss will be discovered by accident, as minoxidil was.

However there are effective treatments for hair loss now, as frequently discussed here. They are not perfect but do help the majority of women.
    Geoffrey Redmond, MD
    The Hormone Help Center of New York http://www.hormonehelpny.com/
    Author, It's Your Hormones

It is not appropriate to make medical diagnoses or treatment recommendations over the internet. Replies to questions intended as general information and not as medical advice for any individual. An appropriate health care provider should be consulted for specific advice.

thank you very much.

mary