+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I was recently prescribed Mometasone Furoate cream by my dermatologist for this problem. I believe it is a cortosteroid. It's only .1% - I have been applying it for about two weeks, though only at bedtime and it hasn't really seemed to help much yet. I do notice that in the mornings, after I shower the stuff off my head, it looks like most of the pink is gone but for some reason it slowly comes back during the day. Has anybody had any experience with this???

Give it a little more time. You may find that in the next several weeks that there is even more improvement. The pink may be resuming once your activity picks up as you start your day.
    "Gillenator"
    Independent Patient Advocate
    more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin

Hi,

I am just over one and a half months post op, and have mild (but quite noticeable if seen from close) redness in a specific region of the recipient area. Most of the recipient area lost noticeable redness around the 3 week mark, except for this region, which doesn't seem to be improving (or might be reducing very slowly in redness but I can't make that out).

Incidentally, I'd got a touch up done on very next day of my surgery since I wanted more density on a particular region than I'd initially planned/received, and it so happens that much of this redone area (though not all) is where the redness has persisted

So I wanted to BUMP this thread to ask the original poster of his experiences with redness and how it changed over time, and also get advice from anyone else.

Thanks

That redness or pinkness you’re describing is very common and in some people can take several months to fade. It is possible that since your surgeon went into the same area twice in a two day period that area could take longer to return to its normal color. I would not stress about it.

@Winston
    Reassuring to hear that you think it'll go away on its own.

At what point, if the redness is still there, should I be concerned that this is not normal/unlikely to reduce without further intervention?

Thanks all for discussing such topics here. I got lots of information now. It will help me in future.

Quote Originally Posted by hairtransplantGuy View Post
    @Winston
    Reassuring to hear that you think it'll go away on its own.

At what point, if the redness is still there, should I be concerned that this is not normal/unlikely to reduce without further intervention?
    Have you consulted with your surgeon about this? And if so, what was the response? IMHO, waiting several more months will not harm you. There is probablty a fair amount of blood absorbed by your scalp tissue especially considering the amount of work (recipient incisions) in that defined area that is lingering in redness. It can take several months for it to dissipate.

If the redness does not begin to improve by say 90-120 days post-op, your doc may prescibe a topical cream which is a steroid to help improve the appearance. Your body is also busy rebuilding the level of collagen as well in the area.

Still, if you have not consulted with your surgeon, I highly recommend that you do so.

Wishing you well...
    "Gillenator"
    Independent Patient Advocate
    more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin

Yeah, I consulted with the surgeon a couple of weeks back and he said the redness would eventually go away, but I thought I'd get some input from other people as well since it did not seem to be decreasing the last few weeks.

But as you say, I think now that waiting for some more time is the best thing to do... its too early to assume that it won't go away on its own and to do something about it.