+ Reply to Thread

Thread: propecia works

Default propecia works

hello guysl
    so for approx 3 months I've been putting a decent amount of research into propecia dutasteride etc
    what really frustrated with mt about propecia is that despite its high success rate 83-90% i didn't know why it worked for some and not others well now I'm fairly confident i know why
    essentially people who suffer from mpb have hair follicles that are sensitive to dht. This is the cause of MPB. Propecia works by inhibiting the production of dht by around 70%. This figure varies from person to person but very little (61-75%). Therefore as there is less dht then less attacks the dht sensitive hair follicles preventing further MPB giving the 83-90% figure.
    Now for regrowth. A lot is to be said for propecia producing regrowth in younger patients more so than older. Although this may be due to younger bodies being able to metabolise drugs more effectively than older people the main reason regrowth is seen more so in younger patients is because the hair loss is more recent. Therefore the hair follicles are not yet dead and have went through less damage by dht. Therefore by lowering dht concentration hair follicles that were not producing hair are able to start producing hair again. Whereas hair follicles that has been long gone are likely dead and so regrowth is unlikely.
    Now to the most interesting part the 17%-10% that it dosent work for. The reason that this drug does not work for them is because despite the reduction in dht there follicles are so sensitive to dht that they continue to be attacked by the remaining dht and so the person continues to lose hair although it should be noted at a slower rate. For these people dutasteride should be considered as this reduces dht by over 90% and so hairless should essentially be stopped.
    for those curious as to wether finasteride looses its effectiveness in short no it does not. If you have successfully used finasteride for years and seem to notice your hair thinning finasteride is still lowering your dht levels by 70% but your hair follicles have become mor sensitive to dht over time and so hairless will resume but at a very slow rate

So for those worrying about factors such as age or event to extent of hairloss as to wether propecia will work for you a better gauge is to think about the aggression of your hairloss. This is not dictated by your age i.e. if you started loosing hair at 16 or by how much hair you've already lost or even by how bald your male relatives are it is more dictated by how fast you lost your hair i.e. full head to NW 4 in 3 months
    Yet do not despair those who have began to slowly loose after years of success on propecia or even those who have aggressive enough baldness that propecia does not work as durasteride will likely prevent any further balding no matter how aggressive your hairless becomes
    Although i am aware that durasteride is not approved by the fda for MPB it has been approved in korea in 2009 and i believe recently in japan

Hope this was helpful

ozzo

It took you 3 months to just repeat the general consensus of the last 20 years? A 5 min google search would have sufficed to anybody with half a brain.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozzo View Post
    hello guysl
    so for approx 3 months I've been putting a decent amount of research into propecia dutasteride etc
    what really frustrated with mt about propecia is that despite its high success rate 83-90% i didn't know why it worked for some and not others well now I'm fairly confident i know why
    essentially people who suffer from mpb have hair follicles that are sensitive to dht. This is the cause of MPB. Propecia works by inhibiting the production of dht by around 70%. This figure varies from person to person but very little (61-75%). Therefore as there is less dht then less attacks the dht sensitive hair follicles preventing further MPB giving the 83-90% figure.
    Now for regrowth. A lot is to be said for propecia producing regrowth in younger patients more so than older. Although this may be due to younger bodies being able to metabolise drugs more effectively than older people the main reason regrowth is seen more so in younger patients is because the hair loss is more recent. Therefore the hair follicles are not yet dead and have went through less damage by dht. Therefore by lowering dht concentration hair follicles that were not producing hair are able to start producing hair again. Whereas hair follicles that has been long gone are likely dead and so regrowth is unlikely.
    Now to the most interesting part the 17%-10% that it dosent work for. The reason that this drug does not work for them is because despite the reduction in dht there follicles are so sensitive to dht that they continue to be attacked by the remaining dht and so the person continues to lose hair although it should be noted at a slower rate. For these people dutasteride should be considered as this reduces dht by over 90% and so hairless should essentially be stopped.
    for those curious as to wether finasteride looses its effectiveness in short no it does not. If you have successfully used finasteride for years and seem to notice your hair thinning finasteride is still lowering your dht levels by 70% but your hair follicles have become mor sensitive to dht over time and so hairless will resume but at a very slow rate

So for those worrying about factors such as age or event to extent of hairloss as to wether propecia will work for you a better gauge is to think about the aggression of your hairloss. This is not dictated by your age i.e. if you started loosing hair at 16 or by how much hair you've already lost or even by how bald your male relatives are it is more dictated by how fast you lost your hair i.e. full head to NW 4 in 3 months
    Yet do not despair those who have began to slowly loose after years of success on propecia or even those who have aggressive enough baldness that propecia does not work as durasteride will likely prevent any further balding no matter how aggressive your hairless becomes
    Although i am aware that durasteride is not approved by the fda for MPB it has been approved in korea in 2009 and i believe recently in japan

Hope this was helpful

ozzo
    Not necessarily.. I've seen people go from a juvenile hairline to a Norwood 2 in 4 months and retained it for many years. There's no pinning a finger on how aggressive your hairloss is going to be and when it's going to fully kick in. The best way to predict this is to identify your pattern of loss within your family.

Hi I’m 19 going through exactly what you described in your post, my hairlines recedeed but my temples are still strong on the side for now but I’ve noticed some diffuse thinning, do you think I should hop on finasteride? I’m worried about how well I’ll respond as a result of my age

I been on propecia for 10 years, 9 years on topical finesteride with great success, still going superb.

Quote Originally Posted by HairGuru View Post
    I been on propecia for 10 years, 9 years on topical finesteride with great success, still going superb.

I’m going to my gp omorrow couldn’t get an appointment today, just want the gp approval before I start taking fin because I’m only 19 but coincidently I’m getting a haircut today aswell so I’m worried cutting it shorter will make my hair seem thicker and make the diffuse thinning that has occurred less visible oh well I still have the slightly recessed hairline