+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Would an IAHRS doctor do this?

I'm 26 years old and a NW4 roughly. Back about 5 years ago I had a consultation with Dr. Jack Fisher for a HT, and he was going to do 1500 grafts on me, but I never had the surgery due to lack of funds.

I was told by many hairloss experts and junkies that the surgery was a bad idea because my hair would just recede behind the transplanted hairline, leave me with bigger problems than before. Also, I had not (and still haven't) started finasteride.

For the past three years I've worn hair systems, which have boosted my confidence to levels never before attained. However, there were some pitfalls that led me to start looking into other options again.

So onto my question... Recently I've been brainstorming, trying to figure out the best way to have the hair I want. I want to wear my hair long, which cannot be done right with a hairpiece. You have to be able to show your hairline for it to look right. I know that the transplant is not going to give me what I want. But my brain recently hatched an idea. I'm sure this is not original, but just humor me anyway:

I was thinking that I could potentially have a HT done just to give me a great hairline and nothing more. Heck with the hair behind the front hairline. Then I would simply shave the top and wear a system behind it. That would make it so I wouldn't have to worry about finasteride, and could pretty much just say screw it to the hair on top. I've used hair systems long enough to know that I can wear them for life. I have no problems with them. I just want that good hairline.

Is this something an IAHRS certified doctor would ever do? Or is it out of the question? To be honest, this idea sounds so good to me, and I'm so on top of it that I'd be ready to do it tomorrow.

Thanks.

Ive heard of it done before.
    Visit my website: SPEXHAIR

Watch regular segments and interviews on The Bald Truth UK show

View Media interviews www.spexhair.media

Subscribe to my YouTube Channel : SpexHair Youtube

I am not a doctor or medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions expressed are my own unless stated otherwise. Always consult with your own family doctor prior to embarking on any form of hair loss treatment or surgery.

You are young and your hair will continue to thin. Also consider that FUE could make the hair on your sides thin also. The FUT scar also requires a comb-over. Google "overharvested FUE" to see what I mean. If you are comfortable with hairpieces don't get a transplant. There are thousands of people, including me, who consider HT the worst mistake of their entire lives. I think it's also important to discuss your issues around hair with your family and a therapist.

Also consider that the operation might not be succesful. You might me left with less hair and bad scars. For example Google:

hair transplant
    +bumps
    +cobblestoning
    +pitting
    +ridging
    +goose bumps

Quote Originally Posted by Spex View Post
    Ive heard of it done before.
    That's awesome! Would you happen to know roughly how many grafts it would take just to do the front part of a hairline? And would you know what the general cost per graft a HT is currently? I mean, I know I'd have to consult my surgeon for real numbers, but thought perhaps someone here might have a clue. Thanks.

Anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by AgentX View Post
    Anyone?
    It's been done numerous times that I'm personally aware of. The problem is that you're going to have a hard time convincing an ethical doctor that you, at 26 years old, understand what it means to commit to something like this for life. No offence but many see 26 years of age as still not having enough life experience to understand the concept of this type of undertaking. You may be different since you have had such a boost to your confidence but most doctors I know of need to know that you've had ten years of experience with a hair system and are completely at east with the maintenance requirements for the long term. So, yes, an IAHRS doctor may do this for you because I know of some that have already. Your job is to consult with various doctors, present this to them as an option you'd like to consider, and ask them yourself if they've done such procedures. Something like this requires a good density so you may need to have two passes to get the density right so you also have to consider the issues that surgery itself involves and not look at it as a minor piece to a larger puzzle.
    Joe Tillman
    The original Hair Transplant Mentor

Interested to know which doctors I recommend?
    See the full list at HairTransplantMentor.com/hair-transplant-doctors

Quote Originally Posted by JoeTillman View Post
    It's been done numerous times that I'm personally aware of. The problem is that you're going to have a hard time convincing an ethical doctor that you, at 26 years old, understand what it means to commit to something like this for life. No offence but many see 26 years of age as still not having enough life experience to understand the concept of this type of undertaking. You may be different since you have had such a boost to your confidence but most doctors I know of need to know that you've had ten years of experience with a hair system and are completely at east with the maintenance requirements for the long term. So, yes, an IAHRS doctor may do this for you because I know of some that have already. Your job is to consult with various doctors, present this to them as an option you'd like to consider, and ask them yourself if they've done such procedures. Something like this requires a good density so you may need to have two passes to get the density right so you also have to consider the issues that surgery itself involves and not look at it as a minor piece to a larger puzzle.
    I fully understand that, and it makes perfect sense. I know 100% that I can commit to a hair system for life. I don't think 10 years is really necessary. I've done it for three years now with no problem or hesitation. I service them myself, and I've learned all the tricks of the trade. The only thing is I want to go longer with my hair, and wish to have a HT just for the purpose of filling in my hairline, then I'll let the system do the rest. I might possibly look into hair integration as well instead of the system (cap).

I also wanted to get my questions answered about how many grafts it will likely take to do this, and what the cost per graph is for a strip procedure. Thanks.

I really was expecting more answers. 333 views and only 2 people have replied.

Quote Originally Posted by hctr View Post
    You are young and your hair will continue to thin. Also consider that FUE could make the hair on your sides thin also. The FUT scar also requires a comb-over. Google "overharvested FUE" to see what I mean. If you are comfortable with hairpieces don't get a transplant. There are thousands of people, including me, who consider HT the worst mistake of their entire lives. I think it's also important to discuss your issues around hair with your family and a therapist.

Also consider that the operation might not be succesful. You might me left with less hair and bad scars. For example Google:

hair transplant
    +bumps
    +cobblestoning
    +pitting
    +ridging
    +goose bumps
    I don't mean to sound like a jerk, but did you even read what I was proposing to do? Your post does not read like you read my OP at all. I'm proposing to transplant just the front hairline, and wear a system over the rest. That's kind of the whole point. I'm not worried about losing the rest hair behind the front transplanted region. I'm just going to wear hair systems there. My procedure will not be FUE if I get one. I will be the strip procedure. I plan to wear my hair long, so the scar will be covered up. I think my transplant will be fine. I'm just doing the hairline and covering the rest up with a system. You can't do long hair with just a system. It just doesn't work. I think this plan is golden. I was just wondering if a reputable doctor would agree to it. It appears as though there are some who would.

Quote Originally Posted by AgentX View Post
    I really was expecting more answers. 333 views and only 2 people have replied.
    I think it is because of the nature of the question that there aren't many responses. It's a rare issue to come across so few people have any idea how to really answer you.

I think you should really do your best to exhaust all non-surgical options. The idea of the hair cap or integration may suit your needs, or not, but I urge you to really think this through. If you decide to do it still, then the average # of grafts depends on a few factors such as your hair type, what density your system will be (so you can match it closely) etc. It also depends on if you need temple points reconstructed or not, which is crucial to the most natural appearance possible. You should count on needing 2000 to 2500 grafts to get good density in a small area and I would highly suggest doing so in two passes, not one.

Also, I'm speaking with someone your age that is seriously considering a hair system. Would you mind speaking with him to give him an idea of what it's like living with a hair system? If you can help, please contact me through my website.

https://www.hairtransplantmentor.com/contact/
    Joe Tillman
    The original Hair Transplant Mentor

Interested to know which doctors I recommend?
    See the full list at HairTransplantMentor.com/hair-transplant-doctors