+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by AgentX View Post
    I'm 26 years old and a NW4 roughly. Back about 5 years ago I had a consultation with Dr. Jack Fisher for a HT, and he was going to do 1500 grafts on me, but I never had the surgery due to lack of funds.

I was told by many hairloss experts and junkies that the surgery was a bad idea because my hair would just recede behind the transplanted hairline, leave me with bigger problems than before. Also, I had not (and still haven't) started finasteride.

For the past three years I've worn hair systems, which have boosted my confidence to levels never before attained. However, there were some pitfalls that led me to start looking into other options again.

So onto my question... Recently I've been brainstorming, trying to figure out the best way to have the hair I want. I want to wear my hair long, which cannot be done right with a hairpiece. You have to be able to show your hairline for it to look right. I know that the transplant is not going to give me what I want. But my brain recently hatched an idea. I'm sure this is not original, but just humor me anyway:

I was thinking that I could potentially have a HT done just to give me a great hairline and nothing more. Heck with the hair behind the front hairline. Then I would simply shave the top and wear a system behind it. That would make it so I wouldn't have to worry about finasteride, and could pretty much just say screw it to the hair on top. I've used hair systems long enough to know that I can wear them for life. I have no problems with them. I just want that good hairline.

Is this something an IAHRS certified doctor would ever do? Or is it out of the question? To be honest, this idea sounds so good to me, and I'm so on top of it that I'd be ready to do it tomorrow.

Thanks.
    I've seen and heard of many individuals with worse hair loss achieve a satisfactory result with a transplant so why can't you?

I think those who tell young people to steer clear of transplants need to understand that you're only young once. I'm quite sure that all these people would rather look their best whilst being young and in their peak of attraction than to sit in doors and suffer a lifetime of anxiety and depression.

My advice to you is go for it! Have fun in your youth and then worry about the consequences in the future if and when they come.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackito View Post
    I've seen and heard of many individuals with worse hair loss achieve a satisfactory result with a transplant so why can't you?

I think those who tell young people to steer clear of transplants need to understand that you're only young once. I'm quite sure that all these people would rather look their best whilst being young and in their peak of attraction than to sit in doors and suffer a lifetime of anxiety and depression.

My advice to you is go for it! Have fun in your youth and then worry about the consequences in the future if and when they come.
    Thank you! This is what I've been saying for several years now. I want to have my full thick head of hair when I'm young and it actually matters. When I get older, it's not going to matter anymore. So I don't care about the whole "being a good candidate" thing. I understand that, on paper, I'm not a good candidate. But in terms of life and age, I'm the perfect candidate. I don't want to wait around until I'm in my 40s or 50s, when I'm old and it doesn't matter anymore, to have the thick head of hair I wish I could have had in my 20s. To me, the typical line of thought in the hair loss community about waiting until you're older is just patently absurd. It's absurd on more than one level. There's the reason that I just stated above, and then there's the fact that by that time everyone will know you for being thinning or bald. Why would you want to go from thinning or bald to suddenly having hair on your head? How does that improve your life at all? And like you said, I'll deal with those problems later in life if they arise. That is why I am going to have the transplant done in the front, then just wear the hairpiece on top. I'm just going to say screw it to finasteride, and not give a damn about Losing the rest of my hair. The hair system will fix that.

Quote Originally Posted by AgentX View Post
    When I get older, it's not going to matter anymore.
    Yes it will