+ Reply to Thread

Default Losing hair faster since starting finasteride + minoxidil

Hey guys, I just turned 26 a couple months ago and I started to notice that something strange was happening to my hair last Nov/Dec shortly after my long term relationship ended and a rough time at work.. I was really living a bad life style, so when I started to notice a bit more hair in my hand when I washed and dried my hair, (nothing major tbh) I thought it was stress related and it would stop soon, but it never did. At that time i still had AWESOME density (no thinning that i could notice) the only thing that I can remember was that there were some hairs in my hairline that wouldn't grow as much and some parts near the crown and near my left temple that took longer to grow.
    So by Feb came the itch, I was waking up to scratch my head.. Oh man, the itch is a b@$CH, but that's when I realized that something was wrong..
    I went to the derm the next month and she just looked at my hair and prescribed me fina and minox and said that i was in the very early stages of balding and I would be fine (those exact words).. So I bought the meds and thought i would just take a pill, rub some liquid in my head and would live happy ever after... WRONG!!
    Thinking back I was so naive.... So freaking naive...
    First week ok, after that I started losing more hair than before the treatment (~30 in the shower) so I went online and read about the sheds and how they're common so yeah, time passed and by the 2 month mark i really had a bad shed that lasted for about 2 weeks... After that the shed slowed down, but the hair was still falling.. some days more other days less.
    Fast forward to today, I just hit my 5 month mark and things couldn't be worse.. I lost so much density, specially since July my hairline is getting worse by the week... I'm really depressed right now.. When i look in the mirror its really see through and the strange thing is that I've not been shedding, normally lose 10-15 hairs in the shower and drying.. But it seems like they fall and most of them don't grow back... It's really odd because they are long and thick hairs not those miniaturized ones..
    Anyway, I don't really know what to do.. I went to another derm specialized in hair and he said that my previous minox was leaving too much residue on my scalp and prescribed a new one and some oral and topical cortico steroids but aren't doing nothing (still finishing the treatment though).
    So I don't know what to do.... I'm really lost right now.. But I'm sure it's related to the treatment because I refuse to believe that I went from a solid hairline with a bit of recession of the temples to a see through hairline with a bigger recession of the temples in less than 5 months! I can post photos... At this speed i will have cut my hair really short real soon
    Maybe my scalp can't handle minox, maybe it's finasteride messing with my hormones ... Any advice on what to do in this situation?? Should I go to a 3rd derm? Btw still itching sometimes..Thanks