+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Inactive

Lightbulb HairDX test worthwhile?

Now that I've started taking Finasteride, I'm wondering whether taking the HairDX test to determine how effective it might be is worthwhile:

http://hairdx.com/FinasterideTestMale.aspx

Anyone have experience with whether this test is more help than hype?

It's probably a good test.

But the test I use for free is just popping the pill and seeing what happens.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by gmonasco View Post
    Now that I've started taking Finasteride, I'm wondering whether taking the HairDX test to determine how effective it might be is worthwhile:

http://hairdx.com/FinasterideTestMale.aspx

Anyone have experience with whether this test is more help than hype?
    Thanks for providing the info on HairDX, gmonasco! I wasn't aware of this test. Everyone who is considering Propecia should definitely look into this. I did a little extra research and found that it cost around $250. I understand where KeepTheHair is coming from, but I think it's useful to know if one is a candidate before spending $90 a month-$1080 a year-on Propecia.

Man, this forum is pretty awesome. I'm receiving a free, thorough education on hair loss. Keep up the good work guys.

Yeah I love the forums too.

level, I think most people can get some benefit from using finasteride and everyday you put of is just another hair you lose! The test would be more interesting than useful. I doubt it would change my mind about buying finasteride.

Inactive

Quote Originally Posted by KeepTheHair View Post
    The test would be more interesting than useful. I doubt it would change my mind about buying finasteride.
    No, but it might change your mind about getting a hair transplant if you knew that Finasteride was less likely to be effective in protecting your remaining hair into the future.

Quote Originally Posted by KeepTheHair View Post
    Yeah I love the forums too.

level, I think most people can get some benefit from using finasteride and everyday you put of is just another hair you lose! The test would be more interesting than useful. I doubt it would change my mind about buying finasteride.
    Agreed.

For me it's more about knowing if I'm a legit candidate for Fin. I know the possibilities are slim, since it seems to work, to some degree, on 90% of dudes, but if I fall into that small bracket, I would like to know, in order to avoid putting unnecessary chemicals in my body. With that said, I'm hopeful that I'm a candidate, and like gmonasco mentioned, if the test prove that I am a strong candidate, I would put my HT ambitions/thoughts to the side and wait confidently for the drug to do it's thing.

I'm actually starting propecia next week, but I would still like to see what the hairDX test says about my genetic predispositions-if any.

I’m not sure how accurate those tests can actually be. I would wait to see if you respond with you own eyes.

Why do you spend so much? get the generic 5mg proscar and cut it, 100 dollars for 150 doses if you cut it into 5, though most people cut it to 4

Quote Originally Posted by Layercake View Post
    Why do you spend so much? get the generic 5mg proscar and cut it, 100 dollars for 150 doses if you cut it into 5, though most people cut it to 4
    Layercake, I'm not too familiar with proscar.

Although I'm getting a ton of information from this site, I'm still kind of new to all of this and I honestly haven't done extensive research on proscar. From the little I've read, it's not FDA appoved. Are any of you guys taking proscar? If so, what do you have to say about it?

Also, where do you guys get your meds? I opted to schedule an appointment with a Dr. to get a prescription but it would be sweet if I could cut that step out.

Inactive

Quote Originally Posted by level View Post
    I'm still kind of new to all of this and I honestly haven't done extensive research on proscar. From the little I've read, it's not FDA appoved.
    Proscar and Propecia are both brand names for finasteride (which is FDA approved).

Perhaps you're confusing Proscar with Avodart (dutasteride), which is not FDA approved as a hair loss treatment.