+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by gmonasco View Post
    Proscar and Propecia are both brand names for finasteride (which is FDA approved).

Perhaps you're confusing Proscar with Avodart (dutasteride), which is not FDA approved as a hair loss treatment.
    I stand corrected. Thanks for clarifying.

yeah, it is the same drug as propecia only packaged in a higher dose, 5mg V 1mg. however its patent has run out so they can manufacture a generic form of it, so it is muuuuuch cheaper. look into it, you can save A LOT of money haha. also its generally covered by insurance

Quote Originally Posted by Layercake View Post
    yeah, it is the same drug as propecia only packaged in a higher dose, 5mg V 1mg. however its patent has run out so they can manufacture a generic form of it, so it is muuuuuch cheaper. look into it, you can save A LOT of money haha. also its generally covered by insurance
    Awesome.thanks for the insight!

I posted this up in another fourm. I do not believe the HairDx is worth any money whatsoever. I had it done last year to test if I do have MPB and also to tell me whether or not Fin/Dut would be effective. I already knew I had MPB, so it didn't tell me anything I didn't know regarding that. My results also said that I would greatly benefit from hair loss drugs. I can tell you that after a year of propecia and 2 years of Avodart, they have been of very little benefit to me.

Maybe your hair loss has a different cause than just DHT alone. Maybe sebum, maybe some other health issue? But most like not!

I guess nothing is really reliable.

What was your hair loss regimen?

KeeptheHair, I do also have Hashimoto's thyroiditis, however my hair loss on my head is not spotty. I do have some patches on my legs. While it probably doesn't help that my thyroid levels are off (although I do have this controlled with medication), my hair loss is consistent with MPB.

The type of test done to determine whether or not you will benefit from hair loss drugs checks whether you have short or long alleles. I have friends in the medical profession that have told me that these types of tests can be questionable. Apparently it is not easy to determine whether someone has short or long alleles. My regimen is currently:

.5 mg Avodart/Day

Dr. Richard Lee formulas
    ******* 15% plus/once for night
    Minoxidil 6% plus/once for daytime application
    5% Spiro Cream (just started)
    Regrowth shampoo (every other day)

Nice regimen!

Dr. Lee really sells extremely good products... I love his stuff! The shampoo is really awesome.

Yeah, it seems many people have really good results on his products. Unfortunately nothing that I try seems to work. I'm not even trying to grow anything back, I'd just like to keep what I have. It doesn't seem that I can even slow my hair loss.

mhh. That is really unlikely considering what you are using for your hair. My hair loss DEFINITELY slowed down considerably recently. I hope I can get some regrowth in the next few months.

Please let me know how it goes man. If your regimen is not working for you then I am somewhat convinced there is an underlying problem...because I can't see how DHT can still wage war on your follicles when you use that 3 topical DHT inhibitors/blockers AND dutasteride WITH strong minoxidil solutions and a great shampoo to get rid of sebum and inflammation.

I just don't see it failing! How long have you been on those minoxidil solutions?

Quote Originally Posted by KeepTheHair View Post
    mhh. That is really unlikely considering what you are using for your hair. My hair loss DEFINITELY slowed down considerably recently. I hope I can get some regrowth in the next few months.

Please let me know how it goes man. If your regimen is not working for you then I am somewhat convinced there is an underlying problem...because I can't see how DHT can still wage war on your follicles when you use that 3 topical DHT inhibitors/blockers AND dutasteride WITH strong minoxidil solutions and a great shampoo to get rid of sebum and inflammation.

I just don't see it failing! How long have you been on those minoxidil solutions?
    I have been using Dr. Lee's solutions, minus the spiro, since September of last year. I wrote in another thread on here that I really don't know what else to try. You always hear if you catch your hair loss early enough you can at least slow it down. I caught mine in the very early stages, have done everything recommended since day 1 and nothing has helped. My hair loss is in the typical horse shoe pattern, with thinning occuring above my sideburn area also.

Thinning on my scalp did not appear to me until I was 28 years old (it's very diffuse now, i can see my scalp through where my widow's peak is at), although my hair line in my temple area did recede a bit in my early 20's. When I look at my hair that has fallen out, I can see the miniaturization down to the follicle.

It seems the guys with hair crown/vertex loss in their early 20's are the those that don't respond to anything, however based on my own experience, I'm under the impression that sometimes the genes are just too strong for today's medicine to handle... no matter what age you begin to lose hair.