+ Reply to Thread

Wink 19 years old starting finasteride

So im making this thread for two reason firstly to track my progress and secondly to compile all the information i have been able to find about finasteride,durasteride, the safety of these drugs etc in order to clear up some things for anyone who are new to these forums or people whp are confused by all the conflicting information there is too be found.

So to start im 19 suffering from very mild MPB i currently have a full head of hair and my balding is unnoticable to the point where upon asking my hairdesser she laughed at the idea of it. However despite this i know my hair has thinned and my dad who went bald at around 30 said he can see some very early signs. i am from the uk and have not and will not go to a dermatologist or GP i buy generic finasteride from assurepharmacy.

Beginning to bald at 19 is obviously very unfortunate but i belive i am in a similar boat too many people on these forumns who began to thin at 19 but didnt really notice or act until 21-23 which without intervention i belive my balding would be quite clear. I am a diffuse thinner with slight recession of my left temple.

When i first became aware of my thinning i took it poorly i have always been quite proud of my looks and to have something like this be a problem at such an early age knocked me hard. That is part of the reason i have made this thread thinning this early is petrifying and so reading other peoples stories in a similar boat gave me comfort and hopefully i can do the same to others

Due to my age and stage of balding i fully expect to see regrowth thickenning up of my hair and maintenance for as long as i take it. the reason age is a factor is mostly due to the fact any hair ive lost is very recent and so the folliciles are not completely dorment. Siffting through many lab reports the general consensus is finasteride works best for younger people and people who act at the earliest signs of balding. However this is not too say it dosent work for ppl in there twenties,thirties etc infact quite the contrary finasteride has been shown to be effective for practically all ages my above point is only to say it is more effective in younger users.

I have been on finasteride for two months so far and my hair seems the same despite some small hairs sprouting up on my left temple which receeded slightly and along my hair line

Now on the information i have compiled about finasteride and durasteride. I should start with the fact that i am currently studying chemistry at university and so have an avid interest in these drugs how they work and there effectiveness however i realise long posts like this can be very boring to read so i'll bullitpoint:

• A finasteride shed does not occur this is not a thing and it is not a thing on durasteride either. Any further excess hairloss you see in the first three months is hair that had already been lost due to DHT.

• there is a 98% chance you will not experince any sexual side effects the reason it seems so high on these forumns is because many people who have experinced come here or before they chose to take the drug came to these forumns and so it is likely they have made it up in their head unwittingly

• There is a 90% chance finasteride will maintain the hair you have once you have started taking it

•Finasteride reduces DHT levels immedatly and so will stop any further balding immedeatly (i am aware this seems to clash with my first statement but it is true fin will stop any further balding, hair that is shedded post taking fin is hair that was already lost to MPB before fin was taken)

•Finasteride has a 48% chance of regrowing hair in areas where it has been lost, after 5 years it was shown to increase hair density by 277 hair per square inch( this explains why finasteride works better for people who have thinning areas and not completely bald as there are on avergae 2000 hair per square inch and so an increase from 0 to 277 will seem relatively little to normal hair density where as say you have 1000 to 1277 then youre going from a thin hair to what is getting close to being a relatively normal area this is why finasteride is said to be more effective for diffuse thinners as there hair is equally thin throighout as opposed to a bald patch)

•finasteride has a 70% chnace of increasing your current haircount (increasing the thickness of your hair where you have it in both individual strand and hair density)

•Finasteride does not loose its effectivness not anywhere after 10 years but the fact that after 10 years it was shown to not loose its effectivness suggests that it also does not loose its effectivness after 15,20...

•durasteride is more effective than finasteride. However only slightly i came across one report that stated it was considerablly more effective but the sample group was too small to be relaible (90 people). The chances of side effects on durasteride are higher but not like 40% like many people in these forumns will have you belive it is also incredibly low as a percentage of the people who took the drug in the tests.

• the reason durasteride is more effective than finasteride is because it inhibits type 2 5 ar more than finasteride and also inhibits type 1 5 ar however type 1 5 ar has been shown to have no effect on MPB

•finasteride will have no effect on your facial hair or body hair

•any side effects on finasteride will subside days after you stop taking it as it has a half life of 6-8 hours this is not the case with durasteride as its half life is about 6 weeks this is why it is viewed as so dangerous althought the percentage of side effects its not signifciantly higher if the side effects do occur it is likely the will last longer as the drug takes longer to leave your system

• Taking finasteride at the age of 18,19,20... ( a young age) will not mess with your "hormonal balance" your penis wont fall off you grow breasts your height wont be stunted in other words it dosent really effect anything but your hair ( strange that considering its a drug that treats MPB )

Thats about everything i could find i imagine people will find ways to argue with what ive said and by all means that is fair enough you may have seen reports and information i havent and welcome anyone to bring any such information into light if people do end up reading this i will soon attach pictures of my progress links to all lab reports as well as links to all the success stories i have found about finasteride (there can sometimes seem to be none at all when you first visit these forumns)

But to conclude the reason i made this is because i know how scary the full balding experince can be despite the fact i have only reached the tip of the iceberg and potentially avoided the full experince even the idea of it occuring me to a young age is horrible and coming from the uk the only reference you have is online forumns which is a terrible place to get information from filled with horror stories and worst case scenarios and frankly for the best part a whole load of bull****
    The reality is this drug is very effective for treating male pattern baldness being mostly effective at maintaining hair millions of men take this drug and find success and the reason these forumns are filled with such negatitvity is that the people who have enjoyed success are simply getting on with their lives and not dwelling in forumns such as this anyways pictures and updates will come soon

I've seen a lot people say they will track their progress long-term but can't find much of it on this website. I think in the end I will shave my head when the time comes. I've been using propecia and rogaine once a day. I've seen the front left fill in where I've applied the rogaine but recently I think my hairline on that side she'd or receded a little. It's only been 4 months of using the two medications. We'll see what happens. I've had no side effects except for itchy scalp and flaking. I think it may be partly due to too much sun and likely the rogaine.

Default Follow up question 4 years later

Quote Originally Posted by Ozzo View Post
    So im making this thread for two reason firstly to track my progress and secondly to compile all the information i have been able to find about finasteride,durasteride, the safety of these drugs etc in order to clear up some things for anyone who are new to these forums or people whp are confused by all the conflicting information there is too be found.

So to start im 19 suffering from very mild MPB i currently have a full head of hair and my balding is unnoticable to the point where upon asking my hairdesser she laughed at the idea of it. However despite this i know my hair has thinned and my dad who went bald at around 30 said he can see some very early signs. i am from the uk and have not and will not go to a dermatologist or GP i buy generic finasteride from assurepharmacy.

Beginning to bald at 19 is obviously very unfortunate but i belive i am in a similar boat too many people on these forumns who began to thin at 19 but didnt really notice or act until 21-23 which without intervention i belive my balding would be quite clear. I am a diffuse thinner with slight recession of my left temple.

When i first became aware of my thinning i took it poorly i have always been quite proud of my looks and to have something like this be a problem at such an early age knocked me hard. That is part of the reason i have made this thread thinning this early is petrifying and so reading other peoples stories in a similar boat gave me comfort and hopefully i can do the same to others

Due to my age and stage of balding i fully expect to see regrowth thickenning up of my hair and maintenance for as long as i take it. the reason age is a factor is mostly due to the fact any hair ive lost is very recent and so the folliciles are not completely dorment. Siffting through many lab reports the general consensus is finasteride works best for younger people and people who act at the earliest signs of balding. However this is not too say it dosent work for ppl in there twenties,thirties etc infact quite the contrary finasteride has been shown to be effective for practically all ages my above point is only to say it is more effective in younger users.

I have been on finasteride for two months so far and my hair seems the same despite some small hairs sprouting up on my left temple which receeded slightly and along my hair line

Now on the information i have compiled about finasteride and durasteride. I should start with the fact that i am currently studying chemistry at university and so have an avid interest in these drugs how they work and there effectiveness however i realise long posts like this can be very boring to read so i'll bullitpoint:

• A finasteride shed does not occur this is not a thing and it is not a thing on durasteride either. Any further excess hairloss you see in the first three months is hair that had already been lost due to DHT.

• there is a 98% chance you will not experince any sexual side effects the reason it seems so high on these forumns is because many people who have experinced come here or before they chose to take the drug came to these forumns and so it is likely they have made it up in their head unwittingly

• There is a 90% chance finasteride will maintain the hair you have once you have started taking it

•Finasteride reduces DHT levels immedatly and so will stop any further balding immedeatly (i am aware this seems to clash with my first statement but it is true fin will stop any further balding, hair that is shedded post taking fin is hair that was already lost to MPB before fin was taken)

•Finasteride has a 48% chance of regrowing hair in areas where it has been lost, after 5 years it was shown to increase hair density by 277 hair per square inch( this explains why finasteride works better for people who have thinning areas and not completely bald as there are on avergae 2000 hair per square inch and so an increase from 0 to 277 will seem relatively little to normal hair density where as say you have 1000 to 1277 then youre going from a thin hair to what is getting close to being a relatively normal area this is why finasteride is said to be more effective for diffuse thinners as there hair is equally thin throighout as opposed to a bald patch)

•finasteride has a 70% chnace of increasing your current haircount (increasing the thickness of your hair where you have it in both individual strand and hair density)

•Finasteride does not loose its effectivness not anywhere after 10 years but the fact that after 10 years it was shown to not loose its effectivness suggests that it also does not loose its effectivness after 15,20...

•durasteride is more effective than finasteride. However only slightly i came across one report that stated it was considerablly more effective but the sample group was too small to be relaible (90 people). The chances of side effects on durasteride are higher but not like 40% like many people in these forumns will have you belive it is also incredibly low as a percentage of the people who took the drug in the tests.

• the reason durasteride is more effective than finasteride is because it inhibits type 2 5 ar more than finasteride and also inhibits type 1 5 ar however type 1 5 ar has been shown to have no effect on MPB

•finasteride will have no effect on your facial hair or body hair

•any side effects on finasteride will subside days after you stop taking it as it has a half life of 6-8 hours this is not the case with durasteride as its half life is about 6 weeks this is why it is viewed as so dangerous althought the percentage of side effects its not signifciantly higher if the side effects do occur it is likely the will last longer as the drug takes longer to leave your system

• Taking finasteride at the age of 18,19,20... ( a young age) will not mess with your "hormonal balance" your penis wont fall off you grow breasts your height wont be stunted in other words it dosent really effect anything but your hair ( strange that considering its a drug that treats MPB )

Thats about everything i could find i imagine people will find ways to argue with what ive said and by all means that is fair enough you may have seen reports and information i havent and welcome anyone to bring any such information into light if people do end up reading this i will soon attach pictures of my progress links to all lab reports as well as links to all the success stories i have found about finasteride (there can sometimes seem to be none at all when you first visit these forumns)

But to conclude the reason i made this is because i know how scary the full balding experince can be despite the fact i have only reached the tip of the iceberg and potentially avoided the full experince even the idea of it occuring me to a young age is horrible and coming from the uk the only reference you have is online forumns which is a terrible place to get information from filled with horror stories and worst case scenarios and frankly for the best part a whole load of bull****
    The reality is this drug is very effective for treating male pattern baldness being mostly effective at maintaining hair millions of men take this drug and find success and the reason these forumns are filled with such negatitvity is that the people who have enjoyed success are simply getting on with their lives and not dwelling in forumns such as this anyways pictures and updates will come soon
    So reading this post has been super inspiring to me.I am in exactly the same position you were 4 years ago.I’m 19 years old, more of a recorder than a thinner, based in the uk and have caught early signs of hair loss.I’m currently thinking of jumping on finasteride, along with micro needling.I don’t really want to jump on minoxidil first due to the shedding phase and the hassle of applying it twice a day forever.I much prefer the idea of just taking a pill.

4 years later, how is this process going out for you.Did you/do you still experience any side effects from finasteride?

What was/ and is your protocol that you run and runned back then?

Any tips for someone starting out back where you did 4 years ago?