+ Reply to Thread

Default Hopefully my story can help someone along the way. 24 year old male

Hello everyone, after months of reading through all types of forums and a couple of years of battling hair loss with countless **** ups along the way i hope maybe this could help someone..

im 24 years of age but i will go from the very start

ive always been very fit and active i played football at a very high level until the age of 20, when stopped playing football i did pile of some weight but got that under control and stay very fit, i enjoy to party and have dabbled in recreational drugs on the occasion, im a non smoker all though i have smoked socially at times....

my dad is pretty much balled and has very fine hair and all the men on hes side of the family follow the same pattern, on my mums side her hair not particularly thick but all still in place and her father died with a full head of hair slightly thinned out but still very much there

ive always been very vein and at 22 i noticed my hair had slightly thinned and i had slightly receded on my right temple.. ignored it for a while as i didnt want to believe it and up until that point i never had given going bald a thought..

soon as i noticed my hair wasnt as strong i started making jokes about it and everyone said i was going mad youve got loads of hair all that shit, my uncle in law pulled me a couple weeks later and told me he went to the belgravia clinic in london said it had helped him. to my eyes he had a very decent head of hair... so willy nilly i rolled down there and they said im at the very early signs of balding explained propecia & minoxidil would do the trick two things at this time id never heard of. she explained side effects so i opted out of the propecia immediately and said i will jump on the minoxidil...

i stuck to the regime for about 5 months never thought i see any difference, never experienced any shedding and didnt really feel it made much difference so i got less attentive with application once a day sometimes forgot all together then within 2 months just completely packed it in and put it down as a waste of time....

fast forward 3/4 months i started to notice some hair fall panicked a little but it did settle down within a couple months and that was that my hair was probably a little worse than i started out .. fast forward another year no real change, then i started to notice my hair fall out again panicked again and again willy nilly thought i need a hair transplant , within a week of this thought and minimal research spoke to a few friends who went through a company ksl and put me in touch with a surgeon based in london.. i had a hair transplant 1000 hairs across my frontal hairline and into my right temple which had receded.. i never met the surgeon till the day just booked it, done it that was that. 2 months on from the transplant loads of my own hair was falling out aggressively looked into it and seemed as though it was shock loss & i shit myself and jumped on regaine.... had a few lows got myself upset through the whole process started to dawn on my ive been a complete **** rushing into everything but thats just me and the way unfortunately i do things,

fast forward another 6 months of religiously applying minoxidil twice a day to my hair actually really thickened up and the transplanted blended in pretty well and i was happy but at the time i didnt put much emphasis on the minoxidil helping my hair and i kept suffering from gout badly which i never had had before.. thought it was minoxidil so had few days off application here and there and it died down and then i started using the minoxidil once a day which kept the gout at bay and my hair was good now and i just didn't put it down to the minoxidil working so well and thought it was all the transplant that had worked wonders.

now the next turning point was whilst on holiday in dubai for the first time in ages i noticed hair fall in the shower 5/6 hairs but i did start using a new hair styling product called boost powder from american crew you just sprinkle it on and it would really dry your hair out and make your hair feel very thick at the time i thought nothing of this and thought were id been using the minoxidil once a day this is what caused it ... (will go back to the styling product later) read up on these forums and see that changing dose can cause shedding so immdediately went back to twice a day religiously and looking back i probably only was using once a day for about 6 weeks tops. i continued using the boost powder and continued twice a day and my hair loss continued not aggressively at all and i noticed my transplanted hairs were sometimes falling out...

so now i was a bit baffled by this and was getting myself really upset and in a state and had enough of keep doing things my own way and needed to shed some light one the situation (excuse the pun i had to)... so i went to see a dermatologist and explained my story to date and she said i have telogen effluvium and advised me to take saw palmetto tabs daily change from rogaine to her minoxidil drops stick to that twice daily and go from there.. this was 4months ago i may add.. so during this time i have stuck to exactly what she said day in day out and my hair has gone to complete shit 50-100 hairs have been coming out all day and its been really getting me down and now visually my hair looks shocking now especially to what it was and being such a vein bastard it does genuinely kill me. i will add photos later if anyone wants and stick a time line on it.. i have been getting this mad itch on my head like unbearable itch.. so a month ago i took it upon myself again that her minoxidil was a load of shit went back to regaine which is tried and tested ive been reading and reading tirelessly on these forums almost obsessed with it.

before carrying on im gonna go back to the styling stuff american crew boost powder which i continued losing through all of this as it would make my hair look much better.... my best friend used the same stuff he has massive hair and uses it every now and the and he has no sign of hair loss, we were driving along and he was pulling hair out hes head and going what the **** is this and it dawned on me then knowing hed been using the same boost powder shit, so i said to him dont use it see how it goes so he stopped and the hair fall stopped, he then used it one weekend and rang me and said mate i used that stuff last night for the first time in 2 weeks had a shower and 10-15 hairs fell out... so obviously we have both knocked this stuff on the head.. i am definitely not saying this is the cause of my hair loss but i know this has lead me into ****ing around with things which is the worst thing i could have done..

so where i am now is i feel the saw palmetto since using that has caused this drastic itch which ive never had before and im not the only one to have this ive read and in the last 3 months my hair has gotten so thin and i dont think that has helped one bit,, i know the changing of products definitely hasnt helped either, but this is all my opinion and where i am at now...

moving forward as of today im dropping the saw palmetto it may work for some but i feel like this has really put the nail in the coffin for me and had an adverse effect,, im sticking to rogaine twice a day morning and night making sure its 12h intervals and i wash my hands thoroughly as the gout hasn't returned whilst i have been doing it this way , i am now also taking propecia as of today and i will not mess with this regime for 6 months . i know adding another thing to my regime is mad but these are the tried and tested products and have worked for millions and speaking to many people about this they are saying its the best way moving forward..

my advice to anybody starting out would be stick to the tried and tested stuff and give it 6 months at least and re asses and take photos along the way maybe even do one at a time and see if it works or not, i also feel minoxidil can work but you may not visually notice it as much as you might hope but the stuff has worked for me before.. im hoping and praying what i do now will get me back to even where i was 5 months ago which at the time i wasnt fully content with but now i would bite someones hands off to be there. mentally for me this has been horrible and i wouldnt wish it on anyone so if any one is a bit brash and just does things off the cuff i would advise highly to take your time and give it time and im also of the opinion that some stuff may work for some people and some may not work for others and i can only go by what i have gone and am going through... like i said if anyone wants i can stick some photos up and time line it so you get a rough idea of whats gone on visually and if anyone has any advice or any questions feel free to hit me with them... im not sure if anyone has been through anythign similar i just hope now i can recover and get some stability even though at this moment in time i feel like its going to be a long long road and i may not even get there...

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigO View Post
    Hello everyone, after months of reading through all types of forums and a couple of years of battling hair loss with countless **** ups along the way i hope maybe this could help someone..

im 24 years of age but i will go from the very start

ive always been very fit and active i played football at a very high level until the age of 20, when stopped playing football i did pile of some weight but got that under control and stay very fit, i enjoy to party and have dabbled in recreational drugs on the occasion, im a non smoker all though i have smoked socially at times....

my dad is pretty much balled and has very fine hair and all the men on hes side of the family follow the same pattern, on my mums side her hair not particularly thick but all still in place and her father died with a full head of hair slightly thinned out but still very much there

ive always been very vein and at 22 i noticed my hair had slightly thinned and i had slightly receded on my right temple.. ignored it for a while as i didnt want to believe it and up until that point i never had given going bald a thought..

soon as i noticed my hair wasnt as strong i started making jokes about it and everyone said i was going mad youve got loads of hair all that shit, my uncle in law pulled me a couple weeks later and told me he went to the belgravia clinic in london said it had helped him. to my eyes he had a very decent head of hair... so willy nilly i rolled down there and they said im at the very early signs of balding explained propecia & minoxidil would do the trick two things at this time id never heard of. she explained side effects so i opted out of the propecia immediately and said i will jump on the minoxidil...

i stuck to the regime for about 5 months never thought i see any difference, never experienced any shedding and didnt really feel it made much difference so i got less attentive with application once a day sometimes forgot all together then within 2 months just completely packed it in and put it down as a waste of time....

fast forward 3/4 months i started to notice some hair fall panicked a little but it did settle down within a couple months and that was that my hair was probably a little worse than i started out .. fast forward another year no real change, then i started to notice my hair fall out again panicked again and again willy nilly thought i need a hair transplant , within a week of this thought and minimal research spoke to a few friends who went through a company ksl and put me in touch with a surgeon based in london.. i had a hair transplant 1000 hairs across my frontal hairline and into my right temple which had receded.. i never met the surgeon till the day just booked it, done it that was that. 2 months on from the transplant loads of my own hair was falling out aggressively looked into it and seemed as though it was shock loss & i shit myself and jumped on regaine.... had a few lows got myself upset through the whole process started to dawn on my ive been a complete **** rushing into everything but thats just me and the way unfortunately i do things,

fast forward another 6 months of religiously applying minoxidil twice a day to my hair actually really thickened up and the transplanted blended in pretty well and i was happy but at the time i didnt put much emphasis on the minoxidil helping my hair and i kept suffering from gout badly which i never had had before.. thought it was minoxidil so had few days off application here and there and it died down and then i started using the minoxidil once a day which kept the gout at bay and my hair was good now and i just didn't put it down to the minoxidil working so well and thought it was all the transplant that had worked wonders.

now the next turning point was whilst on holiday in dubai for the first time in ages i noticed hair fall in the shower 5/6 hairs but i did start using a new hair styling product called boost powder from american crew you just sprinkle it on and it would really dry your hair out and make your hair feel very thick at the time i thought nothing of this and thought were id been using the minoxidil once a day this is what caused it ... (will go back to the styling product later) read up on these forums and see that changing dose can cause shedding so immdediately went back to twice a day religiously and looking back i probably only was using once a day for about 6 weeks tops. i continued using the boost powder and continued twice a day and my hair loss continued not aggressively at all and i noticed my transplanted hairs were sometimes falling out...

so now i was a bit baffled by this and was getting myself really upset and in a state and had enough of keep doing things my own way and needed to shed some light one the situation (excuse the pun i had to)... so i went to see a dermatologist and explained my story to date and she said i have telogen effluvium and advised me to take saw palmetto tabs daily change from rogaine to her minoxidil drops stick to that twice daily and go from there.. this was 4months ago i may add.. so during this time i have stuck to exactly what she said day in day out and my hair has gone to complete shit 50-100 hairs have been coming out all day and its been really getting me down and now visually my hair looks shocking now especially to what it was and being such a vein bastard it does genuinely kill me. i will add photos later if anyone wants and stick a time line on it.. i have been getting this mad itch on my head like unbearable itch.. so a month ago i took it upon myself again that her minoxidil was a load of shit went back to regaine which is tried and tested ive been reading and reading tirelessly on these forums almost obsessed with it.

before carrying on im gonna go back to the styling stuff american crew boost powder which i continued losing through all of this as it would make my hair look much better.... my best friend used the same stuff he has massive hair and uses it every now and the and he has no sign of hair loss, we were driving along and he was pulling hair out hes head and going what the **** is this and it dawned on me then knowing hed been using the same boost powder shit, so i said to him dont use it see how it goes so he stopped and the hair fall stopped, he then used it one weekend and rang me and said mate i used that stuff last night for the first time in 2 weeks had a shower and 10-15 hairs fell out... so obviously we have both knocked this stuff on the head.. i am definitely not saying this is the cause of my hair loss but i know this has lead me into ****ing around with things which is the worst thing i could have done..

so where i am now is i feel the saw palmetto since using that has caused this drastic itch which ive never had before and im not the only one to have this ive read and in the last 3 months my hair has gotten so thin and i dont think that has helped one bit,, i know the changing of products definitely hasnt helped either, but this is all my opinion and where i am at now...

moving forward as of today im dropping the saw palmetto it may work for some but i feel like this has really put the nail in the coffin for me and had an adverse effect,, im sticking to rogaine twice a day morning and night making sure its 12h intervals and i wash my hands thoroughly as the gout hasn't returned whilst i have been doing it this way , i am now also taking propecia as of today and i will not mess with this regime for 6 months . i know adding another thing to my regime is mad but these are the tried and tested products and have worked for millions and speaking to many people about this they are saying its the best way moving forward..

my advice to anybody starting out would be stick to the tried and tested stuff and give it 6 months at least and re asses and take photos along the way maybe even do one at a time and see if it works or not, i also feel minoxidil can work but you may not visually notice it as much as you might hope but the stuff has worked for me before.. im hoping and praying what i do now will get me back to even where i was 5 months ago which at the time i wasnt fully content with but now i would bite someones hands off to be there. mentally for me this has been horrible and i wouldnt wish it on anyone so if any one is a bit brash and just does things off the cuff i would advise highly to take your time and give it time and im also of the opinion that some stuff may work for some people and some may not work for others and i can only go by what i have gone and am going through... like i said if anyone wants i can stick some photos up and time line it so you get a rough idea of whats gone on visually and if anyone has any advice or any questions feel free to hit me with them... im not sure if anyone has been through anythign similar i just hope now i can recover and get some stability even though at this moment in time i feel like its going to be a long long road and i may not even get there...

cheers
    First of all, upload some pics as no one can asses or relate to the situation you're in without pictures of your hair. Secondly, deciding not to use finasteride was a silly idea. It's profound for being the best product out there to stop hair loss, period. There's no point wasting your time with all these other shite products you're looking into to save your hair because it's not going to work. That's why you'll only ever see people mention two products on this site.. finasteride and rogaine. Lastly, losing 10-20 hairs in the shower is nothing! That is considered normal and it's also normal to shed 50-100 hairs a day. Search it if you don't believe me.

I can relate to your situation though as I'm also very vain about my appearance. It makes it almost impossible to accept you're balding when you're a very good looking individual.

My advice to you is get on finasteride. it'll maintain your hair and likely halt all loss completely for the entire time you're on it.
    There's so many people out there using this drug it's mad! Friends, family members, celebrities.. you name it.

Default Some photos

1st pic - this morning
    2nd pic - 4 months ago
    3rd pic - last week
    4th pics- 4 months ago

As you can see in the last 4 months my hair has gone to shite .

I agree with what your saying totally and unfortunately like with most things in my life I'm learning the hard way. Hopefully propecia does work for me and I can make some ground back. But I will be sticking to it for 6 months. I understand that people lose hair every day but I went from losing an unototiceable amount to 20/30 and that's being optimistic without what comes out in the shower but that's not the problem it's visually my hair has gone to shit. I really do think out of it all the saw palmetto has caused me a massive problem that's where I've lost lost ground and I know the changing of minoxidil hasn't helped but ever since I've been on saw palmetto my hair fall has gone crazy. So that's binned and like I said I'm trying to keep my chin up and hoping that the hair fall stops which has been horrible for 4 months and I can maybe make some ground back. But it will be rogaine 5% 2x/day , 1mg propecia ,biotin ,multivitamin, fish oil and few prayers !!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3499.jpg

Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	53516   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3509.jpg

Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	53517   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3503.jpg

Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	53518   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3508.jpg

Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	53519  

1st pic - this morning
    2nd pic - 4 months ago
    3rd pic - last week
    4th pics- 4 months ago

As you can see in the last 4 months my hair has gone to shite .

I agree with what your saying totally and unfortunately like with most things in my life I'm learning the hard way. Hopefully propecia does work for me and I can make some ground back. But I will be sticking to it for 6 months. I understand that people lose hair every day but I went from losing an unototiceable amount to 20/30 and that's being optimistic without what comes out in the shower but that's not the problem it's visually my hair has gone to shit. I really do think out of it all the saw palmetto has caused me a massive problem that's where I've lost lost ground and I know the changing of minoxidil hasn't helped but ever since I've been on saw palmetto my hair fall has gone crazy. So that's binned and like I said I'm trying to keep my chin up and hoping that the hair fall stops which has been horrible for 4 months and I can maybe make some ground back. But it will be rogaine 5% 2x/day , 1mg propecia ,biotin ,multivitamin, fish oil and few prayers !!
    You still have a great head of hair bro, it's wavy and black like mine which is the best kind of hair! It does look as though it's thinning slightly but that's where finasteride comes in and is most effective. If you used finasteride your hairloss would be non existent.. the thinning region would thicken up along with the rest of your hair. You'd have a great head of hair for years to come. The vast majority of people don't experience sides either. There's also many people out there that have been using the drug for 15-20+ years and have maintained their hair for the entire time they've been on it. The drug just seems to get slated on here so avoid reading up about it. Those who have positive results tend not to obsess about their hair anymore and because of this, don't waste their time on hair loss sites. Those who do have problems.. well this is the first place they retreat to.

Thanks for replying mate, yeah well I've jumped on it now and I really hope it works for me & thanks for filling me with some confidence , obviously the pace that I've been losing hair the next few months are very daunting for me but I hope the propecia can steady things up and taking out the saw palmetto and keeping everything steady can see me through! I will do a monthly update , hopefully it's a positive one ! Again mate thanks for coming back to me ��

Thanks for replying mate, yeah well I've jumped on it now and I really hope it works for me & thanks for filling me with some confidence , obviously the pace that I've been losing hair the next few months are very daunting for me but I hope the propecia can steady things up and taking out the saw palmetto and keeping everything steady can see me through! I will do a monthly update , hopefully it's a positive one ! Again mate thanks for coming back to me ��
    It's alright mate. There's always hope no matter how bad it gets.. just look at some celebrity transplants for proof of that. Wayne Rooney was badly balding before the age of 21, he would've easily been Norwood 6 before 30 yet look at him now almost 10 years on.. he's 31 and back to a mature hairline. You never know what could happen in years to come either. A new and safer treatment could be discovered during the years your taking fin and hair transplants will become more effective and of better quality as the days go by. I know balding makes you fearful of the future but at this day and age we have a lot to look foward to because a cure could be found tomorrow.