+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Good Shed vs. Bad Shed??

I had a very noticeable amount of regrowth at the 8 month mark, and all shedding had stopped while on Propecia.

Not sure why you're shedding, but I believe that these drugs you're taking do not cause hairloss. In all likelihood, if you had not been on them for the past 8 months, you would have even less hair on your head right now. They slowed down something that was in your case inevitable.

Don't beat yourself up over it, it's not your fault, and no, chances are you did not cause yourself to lose hair permaturely.

Talk to your doctor before making any changes to your regimen. If I were you, I wouldn't stop. Chances are Propecia is helping you hold on to the other hairs.

I am not a doctor, so that's just my layman opinion. Sorry about your hairloss.

When I started my rogaine regimen and used a ton of it I shed a decent amount. It got worse and worse with time until I added topical spironolactone to my regimen, then all the shedding stopped. I shed 5 times less now, easily. Maybe less. I only see about 2-5 hairs in my hand in the shower, as opposed to 40 or so. I see much less hair in the sink after washing off rogaine now.

I think spiro has something to do with it stopping but I can't be sure. I have been on finasteride for 29 days now. I don't think I am losing ground anymore. I might...just might be having slight regrowth in the months to come, who knows. I really hope I do.

I recommend you at least try spiro. I also have a really aggro regimen.

Current:

Finasteride 1mg (April 21, 2010)(1mg/day)
    Minoxidil 2% (April 13, 2010)(I use a lot twice daily to increase the concentration)
    Ketoconazole 2% / salicylic acid 3%(April 21, 2010)(Every morning, 10-50min leave on)
    Spironolactone Lotion 5% (May 8, 2010)(twice daily)
    MSM(Methylsulfonylmethane) (May 10, 2010)(2000mg-8000mg daily)
    *******-PLUS Minoxidil 15%(May 11, 2010)(Use a small amount every other day, just easing into it for a month or 2, I dont want massive sheds)

Soon:

Derma Roller 1mm(will use together with minox 2%)

Quote Originally Posted by KeepTheHair View Post
    MSM(Methylsulfonylmethane) (May 10, 2010)(2000mg-8000mg daily)
    MSM is one of the worst and most bitter thing I've ever tasted. How are you able to down that much? Are you sure it helps?

Of all the things I use, MSM is probably the most skeptical one.

Although I have read a ton about people saying it improved their hair growth and sped it up, so why not. I have seen on websites similar to drugstore.com that some people give reviews and say that it increased their hair growth(speed? anagen phase? I don't know which, I am still trying to figure it out).

I am only 9 days on it now, I skipped a day since I got some acne with this stuff. I take about 4mg-6mg a day or so I would say.

I honestly have no idea if it is helping or not. I will report back and tell you in a month or 2 if my hair is growing faster or not, who knows.

The thing I can FEEL working the most is the shampoo I use...I just love how it makes my scalp feel! Amazing. I love it.

I hate how minoxidil/spiro makes my scalp look! But I really don't care about the short term.

I take MSM in PILL form, so I only taste it for a second.

I'm not sure the tingle you feel on your scalp translates to the shampoo making hair grow, but it's a nice feeling.

With all the stuff you're taking, it's hard to tell what's helping your hair grow and what's not. I personally will give all credit for any growth you see to Propecia primarily, and then to *******.

I said I might be, I have no idea.

Also, my point about the shampoo is...my scalp used to feel REALLY "bad" and "irritated". Even before I started minoxidil.

I think it was inflammation due to the balding process or something. Damn, it felt really bad. At my temples and in my crown area. It felt as if I could feel my hair dying or something. It itched and just felt really bad. Since using the shampoo my head feels "free" and it's not in my head(lol) either. I am very sure my scalp feels much better. That is why I can't resist using the shampoo everyday for a long time!

Much much too early for finasteride to do anything probably. Also, only started ******* 11th.

So, if I am seeing any regrowth or so it would have been due to the 2% minoxidil overuse and the shampoo. I think my hair is getting better, but I am very unsure of that.

I am going to add Retin-A soon also, as it promotes hair growth on it's own and also promotes topical absorption.

blackSTAT1K:

Sry for going so offtopic and stuff. But anyway, I have heard some stories on other forums about spiro stopping sheds, it did the same for me probably. I would give it a try if I were you.

In a similar position to you here blackSTAT1K. I've been on Propecia and Minoxidil for about 7 months now and have very recently noticed increased shedding.
    Would be useful if one the Doctors or representatives on the forum could 'shed' some light on this? Awful pun, sorry

It’s very common for people to go through a shed at the 7 or 8 months. Some people shed sooner then others but shedding at 7 month does not mean your medication is no longer working.

Shedding really confuses me too....

I think that I actually shed because of finasteride and not rogaine...and that spiro didn't stop it.

When I was shedding I grab some hair on the back of my head and pulled, then looked at my fingers. There was hair in them! Now I can't even get a single hair and I have tried 10 or so times! How can shedding just stop like that? Or start like that? Really weird.

I have no idea. I hope I shed a lot more hairs than I think I did and then see some nice regrowth. But I don't know...

geez I cant even get a single hair now! I keep trying lol. I can't get a single hair if I pull the ones at the back! I used to get like 2-5 each time I did this same thing. I can't pull any harder! lol

edit: I am refering to hair not influenced by the DHT. So, the stable ones. Can I conclude that I shed because of finasteride?