+ Reply to Thread

Default Propecia suddenly lost effectiveness?

Hi people!
    I am a long time finasteride 1,25 mg user since probably 7-8 years. Also been on minox once daily the last couple of years. Started balding around 17-18 and am now 29. For me finasteride significantly halted my loss which was very aggressive, however it has probably kept progressing very slowly over the years, however only at a rate I could tollerate as I believe it is the feeling lacking control over the situation that causes at least a lot of my distress related to hair loss. last years have been a success and stopped thinking so much about my hair and accepted it as it wase

However this spring I thought I noticed it was thinner than before, but attribted this to gradual thinning. By chance I caught a glimpse of the back of my head about 4 weeks ago and could then see that I had thinned put a lot in the crown compared to before (rarely see the back of my head so dont know since when). Pretty much since then have noticed the (what I thought was the long gone) mpb-itch/tingling/burning mainly in the crown area. If I pull the hairs in my crown there are always minituarized hairs coming out, and more than in the non-mpb areas. Have also noticed more shedding, but am probably more observant as well.

Sure I have had a stressfull spring and summer but as the hairs falling out are minituarized I dont think I can attribute the worsening of my hair to any stressinduced TE. It seems all of a sudden, finasteride just does not cut it anymore. I was actually pretty ok with slowly balding, but the fact that it seems to be going fast now and that I have even got scalp burning has made me very conserned about my hair loss again. Have made sure to read up on alternatives and have got dutasteride and upped the minox to twice daily.

Am reaching out to people who have been in a similar situation to hear what worked for you. Did you switch to dutasteride or did the loss stabilize after a while again?

I have so far taken two dutasteride this week instead of finas. Plan was to start out with dutasteride once a week and finasteride the other days to see if things improved but am also considering switching over completely to dutasteride. And currently feel a bit stressed out about my shedding and tthe scalp burning makes sure I dont forget about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gubter_87 View Post
    Hi people!
    I am a long time finasteride 1,25 mg user since probably 7-8 years. Also been on minox once daily the last couple of years. Started balding around 17-18 and am now 29. For me finasteride significantly halted my loss which was very aggressive, however it has probably kept progressing very slowly over the years, however only at a rate I could tollerate as I believe it is the feeling lacking control over the situation that causes at least a lot of my distress related to hair loss. last years have been a success and stopped thinking so much about my hair and accepted it as it wase

However this spring I thought I noticed it was thinner than before, but attribted this to gradual thinning. By chance I caught a glimpse of the back of my head about 4 weeks ago and could then see that I had thinned put a lot in the crown compared to before (rarely see the back of my head so dont know since when). Pretty much since then have noticed the (what I thought was the long gone) mpb-itch/tingling/burning mainly in the crown area. If I pull the hairs in my crown there are always minituarized hairs coming out, and more than in the non-mpb areas. Have also noticed more shedding, but am probably more observant as well.

Sure I have had a stressfull spring and summer but as the hairs falling out are minituarized I dont think I can attribute the worsening of my hair to any stressinduced TE. It seems all of a sudden, finasteride just does not cut it anymore. I was actually pretty ok with slowly balding, but the fact that it seems to be going fast now and that I have even got scalp burning has made me very conserned about my hair loss again. Have made sure to read up on alternatives and have got dutasteride and upped the minox to twice daily.

Am reaching out to people who have been in a similar situation to hear what worked for you. Did you switch to dutasteride or did the loss stabilize after a while again?

I have so far taken two dutasteride this week instead of finas. Plan was to start out with dutasteride once a week and finasteride the other days to see if things improved but am also considering switching over completely to dutasteride. And currently feel a bit stressed out about my shedding and tthe scalp burning makes sure I dont forget about it.
    I started using propecia in 1998.
    Switched to half a finasteride pill around 2000.
    Then switched to Avodart in 2003.

At first, my hair got a boost from propecia, which only lasted a year or two before starting to go backward again.

My hair loss continued in fits and starts ever since, until now I would say I have half the coverage I had in 1998 despite all the DHT inibitors I've taken.

This baldness $hit is relentless.

Do you ever wonder where you would be at if you changed your diet, massaged your scalp, added supplements and natural topicals instead?