+ Reply to Thread

Thread: My Story

Default My Story

44 years old, only one in my rather large family with such hair loss, I have more hair loss than my 84 year old father...

See current hair loss pic here:
    http://imgur.com/YxIHOZW

I was using Rogaine foam for probably 2 years, problem is that I had a hard time sticking to it 2x a day, some days I missed, some days I only used it 1x a day, etc. I finally gave up on it about two years ago. Also, I never really saw any hair regrowth, felt like a scam to me. Since then, my thinning seems like it has accelerated, but hard to tell by how much as I have not kept any kind of photo library.

I just bought an iRestore, but I am skeptical, but will give it a try, I think I will be able to stick to a plan of using that when I'm on my PC playing video games lol. However, it sounds like that is just to prevent hair loss, not actually re-grow.

Ultimately, if I really want my hair back, I am assuming I'd need a transplant?

Thing is, that's a lot of money, and it doesn't sound permanent? I don't want to fall into the trap of giving surgeons tons of cash over multiple surgeries. If I can't fix this in one surgery, I probably will just let nature take its course.

Just wondering, with my rate of hair loss, how bald will I be in 20 years? I started thinning when I was about 23 (didn't even know, a hair stylist made the comment), it took to about 39 years old before the thinning was even visible to myself and other people. I have 3 brothers, 2 have zero thinning, and the oldest (55) has about 25% of the thinning I have. I suppose I am a Norwood 3V, but I have less thinning at the front than most diagrams show.

I'd like to not have a "total" bald spot if possible.

I've done some cursory FUE vs. FUT research, both seem to have positives and negatives. Just wondering from others' experience on how far gone my situation is, and if it is really worth doing anything about it?

I'm someone who likes to tinker and fix stuff that is broken, my hair is broken lol. What I won't do is spend $10,000's on this issue continually having surgeries

Any stories/advice is appreciated.

The big 3 is ur best bet to try and halt or regrow hair. The big 3 consists of: finasteride, minoxidil, and nizoral shampoo

Typically crown loss like yours responds better to hairline loss. Is your hairline ok?

Obviously you cant be lazy with minoxidil applications. Twice a day is optimal once a day has worked for people too.

I would not recommend a transplant without treating ur hair loss with medications. U want to try and preserve as much of your native hair as possible. If u just get a transplant and your native hair continues to thin you'll just be chasing loss with more surgery.

Good luck

There is definitely MPB on my hairline, but that part of it has never bothered me. I'd almost not want to get any transplant there.

http://i.imgur.com/945Z6bF.jpg

I have been using this shampoo for about 5 years: http://hairloss101.com/featured-prod...salicylic.html

It's the only "treatment" I'vs stuck with religiously.

Quote Originally Posted by mecheng View Post
    There is definitely MPB on my hairline, but that part of it has never bothered me. I'd almost not want to get any transplant there.

http://i.imgur.com/945Z6bF.jpg

I have been using this shampoo for about 5 years: http://hairloss101.com/featured-prod...salicylic.html

It's the only "treatment" I'vs stuck with religiously.
    Go over to turkey and get a hair transplant would be my advice. There's highly respected and credited surgeons over in turkey.. some that are better than those in first world countries. For a procedure that would probably cost around £5000-£10000 in the U.K./US, in turkey it would be around £1500-£3000.