+ Reply to Thread

Default Quit Rogaine years ago, vertex thining is accelerating

44 years old, only one in my rather large family with such hair loss, I have more hair loss than my 84 year old father...

See current hair loss pic here:

I was using Rogaine foam for probably 2 years, problem is that I had a hard time sticking to it 2x a day, some days I missed, some days I only used it 1x a day, etc. I finally gave up on it about two years ago. Also, I never really saw any hair regrowth, felt like a scam to me. Since then, my vertex thinning seems like it has accelerated, but hard to tell by how much as I have not kept any kind of photo library.

I just bought an iRestore, but I am skeptical, but will give it a try, I think I will be able to stick to a plan of using that when I'm on my PC playing video games lol. However, it sounds like that is just to prevent hair loss, not actually re-grow.

Ultimately, if I really want my hair back, I am assuming I'd need a transplant?

Thing is, that's a lot of money, and it doesn't sound permanent? I don't want to fall into the trap of giving surgeons tons of cash over multiple surgeries. If I can't fix this in one surgery, I probably will just let nature take its course.

Just wondering, with my rate of hair loss, how bald will I be in 20 years? I started thinning when I was about 23 (didn't even know, a hair stylist made the comment), it took to about 39 years old before the vertex thinning was even visible to myself and other people. I have 3 brothers, 2 have zero thinning, and the oldest (55) has about 25% of the vertex thinning I have. I suppose I am a Norwood 3V, but I have less thinning at the front than most diagrams show.

I'd like to not have a "total" bald spot if possible.

I've done some cursory FUE vs. FUT research, both seem to have positives and negatives. Just wondering from others' experience on how far gone my situation is, and if it is really worth doing anything about it?

I'm someone who likes to tinker and fix stuff that is broken, my hair is broken lol. What I won't do is spend $10,000's on this issue.

Any stories/advice is appreciated.