+ Reply to Thread

Smile Mistook Cowlick for Thinning; I Still Feel Like a Brother to You All

These past 2 weeks have been hell on earth. I became 90% convinced I was beginning the feared process of balding at age 20. However, after a visit at the dermatologist, and a little internet research that DIDN'T have to do with finasteride, minoxidil, hair transplants, etc... I realized I simply had a cowlick at the middle of my hairline.

Laugh at me if you may, this was the best "I'm an idiot" feeling I have ever experienced in my life.

The reason I didn't know it was a cowlick is because this: I have had a high forehead my entire life. I am actually currently a Norwood 2 (developed over the past 2 years, which I was fine with), but have had bangs literally my entire life. When I did style my hair up, it was always parted to the side. Because of these two hairstyles, I never once noticed that I had a cowlick that appears as a thin spot in the middle of my hairstyle. It is only visible when lifting all of my hair vertically, and I was only doing this action recently to monitor my Norwood 2. This is how I noticed a "deadly" thinning gap right above my hairline

So, men. I have gone through all the same preliminary pain as you, but I got out lucky. I can tell you a few things. 1. I may very well start balding in the future, but my family history is rather good, so I don't see it happening soon. 2. I have gained so much respect and empathy for all the balding dudes I have see on the streets. 3. We all have faults. When I wasn't worrying about this "thin spot", there was always something else on my body I needed to fix. Funnily enough, after this scare, I actually have put aside all of my other insecurities (One of them being a chest deformity I've had since birth, which I never saw myself getting over). Hair loss was the biggest fear I've had in my life, like these last two weeks were terrible, but mainly because I have a big head.

My point is, you don't know how good you've got something until it's gone. I bet if one of you lost a limb tomorrow, your hair loss would become rather trivial. However, I know it's still hard to put aside the pain that is hair loss. Please be smart and informative on your missions to better yourselves, but also... think "relative" to those who have it worse off than you in the world.

After reading this over to myself, I think i come off as a jerk gloating about my hair. That's not my intention at all. Trust me, I have plenty of other things to worry about now. I just wanted to make fun of my stupidity to everyone, maybe get some guys making fun of me, and attempt to make a philosophical point.

Good luck boys.