+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

The PM system is not activated on this forum due to the ways it can be used that are less than ethical. You can contact Mattj through his published email address.

My opinion is that Matt is right, you can judge anything right now and I would urge you to not worry about something that hasn't happened yet. I know it is easier said than done but you're only wasting energy with worry. I think that if you went to a reputable clinic that understands proper donor extraction theory then you'll be fine. With good FUE it isn't so much the side of the extraction scar as it is the extraction pattern overall. If your 400 grafts were spread out properly then no one will know.
    Joe Tillman
    The original Hair Transplant Mentor

Interested to know which doctors I recommend?
    See the full list at HairTransplantMentor.com/hair-transplant-doctors

Quote Originally Posted by JoeTillman View Post
    The PM system is not activated on this forum due to the ways it can be used that are less than ethical. You can contact Mattj through his published email address.

My opinion is that Matt is right, you can judge anything right now and I would urge you to not worry about something that hasn't happened yet. I know it is easier said than done but you're only wasting energy with worry. I think that if you went to a reputable clinic that understands proper donor extraction theory then you'll be fine. With good FUE it isn't so much the side of the extraction scar as it is the extraction pattern overall. If your 400 grafts were spread out properly then no one will know.
    Thanks Joe for the reply.

Why can't I judge it at one-month post op? What changes in the course of the first year that would change how it looks?

Do the extraction sites contract or fade over time? Do dormant hairs grow in to fill those gaps?

My biggest concern is that I usually do a bald skin fade (skin shave at the bottom and fade up to a 2 at the top). I made this known to the doctor at the time (reputable and recommended by many) and he said that this will not be a concern. He said no scarring would be seen even with a cut like that.

When people say scarring is inevitable with FUE, are they saying that because in a technical sense, any breach of the skin will cause scarring (e.g. if I were to donate blood and a needle is inserted into my arm, that would technically leave a scar)?

Is that different from saying that there will be a "visible" scar present? It seems that everyone has said to me that if I shave down far enough, I'll see scarring. However, my doctor ensured me that I won't have that issue even with the hair cut that I've proposed to him.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeTillman View Post

Why can't I judge it at one-month post op? What changes in the course of the first year that would change how it looks?

Do the extraction sites contract or fade over time? Do dormant hairs grow in to fill those gaps? I'm just curious because I'm imagining those 450 holes in my scalp...thats a lot. How can those not be visible to anyone once healed?

My biggest concern is that I usually do a bald skin fade (skin shave at the bottom and fade up to a 2 at the top). I made this known to the doctor at the time (reputable and recommended by many) and he said that this will not be a concern. He said no scarring would be seen even with a cut like that.

When people say scarring is inevitable with FUE, are they saying that because in a technical sense, any breach of the skin will cause scarring (e.g. if I were to donate blood and a needle is inserted into my arm, that would technically leave a scar)?

Is that different from saying that there will be a "visible" scar present? It seems that everyone has said to me that if I shave down far enough, I'll see scarring. However, my doctor ensured me that I won't have that issue even with the hair cut that I've proposed to him.

Quote Originally Posted by Beardybeardy View Post

Do the extraction sites contract or fade over time? Do dormant hairs grow in to fill those gaps? I'm just curious because I'm imagining those 450 holes in my scalp...thats a lot. How can those not be visible to anyone once healed?

At one month you may be experiencing some donor shock. The tissue overall has to settle as it may have some inflammation from potential ingrown hairs and and yes, the extraction sites may reduce with time time.

Yes, technically speaking, you will have a scar for each and every extraction point. They will be visible if you shave to the skin but they can be easily hidden with even shorter cuts. The point is to have visible hair to break up the visual of the extraction points and if the extraction points are not in a small and well defined pattern, but rather are diffusely distributed over a large area, then they will be very VERY difficult to see.

The eye is drawn to patterns so that is why a wide distribution without obvious borders is the better way to go.
    Joe Tillman
    The original Hair Transplant Mentor

Interested to know which doctors I recommend?
    See the full list at HairTransplantMentor.com/hair-transplant-doctors

Thanks for the reply, Joe. I sent you an email with a few further questions. I hope you'll be able to answer them. Thanks!

I see your email. I'll respond now.
    I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal

My FUE With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com