+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thanks for all your help, your one of the few that has actually taking time to help me out.

I had a top knot before I buzzed my hair, which might've been causing traction alopecia now when I think about it. I only had the top knot for about 3 weeks, so hopefully my hair might grow thicker. I forgot to mention that I've been taking pictures on a daily basis for about 3 months now. I'll keep at it for a few more months and see if anything drastic happens.

Thanks once again!

You most likely have some degree of Male Pattern Hair loss. Unless you were pulling your hair so tight it was causing pain, it's not likely traction alopecia. It could be that you just pulled all of the hairs out and they would grow back normally, which isn't really traction alopecia which is typically permanent, and takes longer than 3 weeks.

Unfortunately, most people who think they might have MPB, do have MPB. 17 is early, but it does happen. Baldness from other causes often appears in patches (Alopecia Arreata) or all over, and NOT in a pattern on the temples.

17 is probably too early to take finasteride, because puberty can still be happening at this age. As far as taking minoxidil, it's not likely going to hurt you, especially in the long run. It's annoying, but really aside from finasteride, it's the only thing that is going to do anything. You could probably wait 6 months to a year to see where it goes, then start finasteride and it shouldn't progress that much in that time. There are rarely any side effects, contrary to the other poster.

Or you may just decide that you don't care that much about it and move on with your life.

Quote Originally Posted by Aonyx262 View Post
    You most likely have some degree of Male Pattern Hair loss. Unless you were pulling your hair so tight it was causing pain, it's not likely traction alopecia. It could be that you just pulled all of the hairs out and they would grow back normally, which isn't really traction alopecia which is typically permanent, and takes longer than 3 weeks.

Unfortunately, most people who think they might have MPB, do have MPB. 17 is early, but it does happen. Baldness from other causes often appears in patches (Alopecia Arreata) or all over, and NOT in a pattern on the temples.

17 is probably too early to take finasteride, because puberty can still be happening at this age. As far as taking minoxidil, it's not likely going to hurt you, especially in the long run. It's annoying, but really aside from finasteride, it's the only thing that is going to do anything. You could probably wait 6 months to a year to see where it goes, then start finasteride and it shouldn't progress that much in that time. There are rarely any side effects, contrary to the other poster.

Or you may just decide that you don't care that much about it and move on with your life.
    Hello! Thanks for your detailed answer, I appreciate all input. Based on what the user above you mentioned, minoxidil apparently doesn't do too much.. I'd rather just hop on fin. The only downside is the fact that I can't get a hold of it, which means that I'll have to get it online with nor my parents or doctors consent..

I wore the top knot about 3 months ago, and I've read online that it can take up to 6 months for regrowth to occur. My hairline was perfectly thick back then but MPB is just a time factor in my family, so it wouldn't surprise me if I have it/or am going to have it anytime soon. Although I'd love to delay it quite a bit.. Would be great if I started receding at 25 or something like that but it kinda sounds like a stretch considering my current state.

Any advice on how I can achieve this? Also, are homeremedies actually a thing? Like quitting masturbation, applying coconut oil, doing handstands, etc?

All help is appreciated. Thanks guys.

EDIT: If anyone is interested, I can post all the pics I've taken for the past 3 months.

Quote Originally Posted by danylq View Post
    Hello! Thanks for your detailed answer, I appreciate all input. Based on what the user above you mentioned, minoxidil apparently doesn't do too much.. I'd rather just hop on fin. The only downside is the fact that I can't get a hold of it, which means that I'll have to get it online with nor my parents or doctors consent..

I wore the top knot about 3 months ago, and I've read online that it can take up to 6 months for regrowth to occur. My hairline was perfectly thick back then but MPB is just a time factor in my family, so it wouldn't surprise me if I have it/or am going to have it anytime soon. Although I'd love to delay it quite a bit.. Would be great if I started receding at 25 or something like that but it kinda sounds like a stretch considering my current state.

Any advice on how I can achieve this? Also, are homeremedies actually a thing? Like quitting masturbation, applying coconut oil, doing handstands, etc?

All help is appreciated. Thanks guys.

EDIT: If anyone is interested, I can post all the pics I've taken for the past 3 months.

I would advise against ordering propecia from India or anywhere overseas. You might be fine and get legit stuff, or you might get talcom powder or worse disguised as propecia. I went to a dermatologist to get my first script for propecia. If you can't afford that or can't find one that will prescribe it to you, you can try Medical Wellness Center (Google it). They prescribed my later propecia scripts and it was legit. You will have to fill out a medical questionnaire and you will have to be old enough. Its not valid in certain states (IL and a few others I think), but most of them are fine (assuming you are in the US). I've been on Finasteride for 3+ years and my hair has held steady and gotten thicker in some places. I started losing around 19-20. I'm almost 28 now. I wish I had started taking propecia when I first started noticing it. I've never had any side effects from it, but that's just my personal experience.

As far as home remedies go, there isn't anything that I've found makes a difference. You can try things like improving your diet. I doubt that not masturbating has any real effect, but it probably won't hurt you. I was into "scalp rolling" which basically abraids your scalp with tiny needles. In theory its supposed to improve blood flow and help minoxidil work better, but I can't say it made a huge difference, and it hurt a lot lol.

I don't know how close you are to 18, but it might be worth just waiting that long and reassess at that time. Although, given your family history it probably is MPB.

Good luck! We all know how much it sucks to have to deal with this, especially at such a young age, but its not the end of the world and there are things out there that do work to slow it down.

Quote Originally Posted by Aonyx262 View Post
    I would advise against ordering propecia from India or anywhere overseas. You might be fine and get legit stuff, or you might get talcom powder or worse disguised as propecia. I went to a dermatologist to get my first script for propecia. If you can't afford that or can't find one that will prescribe it to you, you can try Medical Wellness Center (Google it). They prescribed my later propecia scripts and it was legit. You will have to fill out a medical questionnaire and you will have to be old enough. Its not valid in certain states (IL and a few others I think), but most of them are fine (assuming you are in the US). I've been on Finasteride for 3+ years and my hair has held steady and gotten thicker in some places. I started losing around 19-20. I'm almost 28 now. I wish I had started taking propecia when I first started noticing it. I've never had any side effects from it, but that's just my personal experience.

As far as home remedies go, there isn't anything that I've found makes a difference. You can try things like improving your diet. I doubt that not masturbating has any real effect, but it probably won't hurt you. I was into "scalp rolling" which basically abraids your scalp with tiny needles. In theory its supposed to improve blood flow and help minoxidil work better, but I can't say it made a huge difference, and it hurt a lot lol.

I don't know how close you are to 18, but it might be worth just waiting that long and reassess at that time. Although, given your family history it probably is MPB.

Good luck! We all know how much it sucks to have to deal with this, especially at such a young age, but its not the end of the world and there are things out there that do work to slow it down.

Thank you for your response. I'll be 18 in a few months, and yeah, it probably is early stages of MPB. Not to freak you out or anything, but have you ever worried about the post side effects you might have to deal with after you stop using Propecia? Hopefully that'll never happen to you, but just incase I'd ever be in that situation.

Secondly, do you ever believe they'll solve this balding shit? Feels like it has taken forever, and will probably never get solved fully. (Atleast during our lifetime).