Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • danylq
    • Apr 2017

17 year old, need advice asap [pics]

So I just went to the dermatologist, we took some blood samples and everything seem'd normal. He later on told me that I have ''temporary thinning'', which I believe is pure bullshit. My entire family background consists of bald men, from both mother and fathers side. Although they've started receding at the age of 30..

Is temporary thinning even a thing? Honestly. I want am considering using atleast Minoxidil, as I can't use finasteride or anything like that yet.

Can you guys give me some tips or advice? I'll post pics below

3 months ago: https://gyazo.com/cc9af73830f5d21b3179223fbf06d88c
    Now: https://gyazo.com/f53afba8784be02c1bef9dab6e6bcab3

Yes, my hair has improved. But it is also due to the fact that I've done my own lineups, to cover up the recession. Also, when I shower my hair at the sides seem to be thinning af.

Please help me out.
  • danylq
    • Apr 2017

Anyone? Bump

Comment

• danylq
      • Apr 2017

so???

Comment

• THECOMEBACKKID12345
        • Jul 2017

Have u considered rogaine or propecia

Comment

• danylq
          • Apr 2017

Yes.. I am considering using atleast Minoxidil, as I can't use finasteride or anything like that yet.

Comment

• hzk80
            • Nov 2016

Wait until you're 18 then make a decision based on your rate of hairloss-probably too early to tell if you have MPB right now and starting treatment too early is a risk.

I'd recommend starting on Propecia only (when you turn 18) but be *extremely careful* as you may be unlucky enough to get side-effects. I would advise against Rogaine/minoxidil as it's a very time consuming treatment, is pretty noticeable when it's in your hair (people will assume you have greasy hair and don't shower) and if you decide to discontinue treatment you'll probably have a massive shed.

Comment

• danylq
              • Apr 2017

thanks for actually taking your time to respond. does my hair currently look receding? i dont know how to get a hold of propecia since im 99% sure my doctor wouldnt prescribe it

Comment

• hzk80
                • Nov 2016

I have no idea as it's only one photo and your hairloss (if indeed it is MPB) is in early stages-you need to take several pictures a day over the course of 3-6 months and compare them. Are you losing a lot of hair in the shower?

You'll need to get it from an independent pharmacy (usually online, but obviously be very careful about where you get if from as there's plenty of scams and fake medicines out there). But please I'd re-iterate don't be tempted to take it until you're at least 18 and are sure you suffer from MPB. The side effects from Propecia can be terrible if you're part of the <5% that get them so consult your doctor first.

Comment

• danylq
                  • Apr 2017

hello again. i havent noticed any loss of hair, although the only thing has concerned me is the thinning temples. although with time, it has improved a bit. if u'd like i can post more pictures from different angles.

I'd like to add that I've spoken with my doctor, we took some blood samples and he told me I shouldn't worry and that it was temporary. But the thing is, if this isn't balding, I'm definitely going to recede in the future. As I mentioned, my family consists of bald men. My brother is currently 25 years of age with what appears to be a NW2.

Comment

• hzk80
                    • Nov 2016

Sounds like you've got a maturing hairline rather than MPB. Keep an eye on it, take pictures every day and compare over the course of 6 months, but most importantly *do not* take any kind of treatment. You're too young and it sounds like you don't have MPB.

Comment

• danylq
                      • Apr 2017

Thanks for all your help, your one of the few that has actually taking time to help me out.

I had a top knot before I buzzed my hair, which might've been causing traction alopecia now when I think about it. I only had the top knot for about 3 weeks, so hopefully my hair might grow thicker. I forgot to mention that I've been taking pictures on a daily basis for about 3 months now. I'll keep at it for a few more months and see if anything drastic happens.

Thanks once again!

Comment

• Aonyx262
                        • Aug 2014

You most likely have some degree of Male Pattern Hair loss. Unless you were pulling your hair so tight it was causing pain, it's not likely traction alopecia. It could be that you just pulled all of the hairs out and they would grow back normally, which isn't really traction alopecia which is typically permanent, and takes longer than 3 weeks.

Unfortunately, most people who think they might have MPB, do have MPB. 17 is early, but it does happen. Baldness from other causes often appears in patches (Alopecia Arreata) or all over, and NOT in a pattern on the temples.

17 is probably too early to take finasteride, because puberty can still be happening at this age. As far as taking minoxidil, it's not likely going to hurt you, especially in the long run. It's annoying, but really aside from finasteride, it's the only thing that is going to do anything. You could probably wait 6 months to a year to see where it goes, then start finasteride and it shouldn't progress that much in that time. There are rarely any side effects, contrary to the other poster.

Or you may just decide that you don't care that much about it and move on with your life.

Comment

• danylq
                          • Apr 2017

Originally posted by Aonyx262
                          You most likely have some degree of Male Pattern Hair loss. Unless you were pulling your hair so tight it was causing pain, it's not likely traction alopecia. It could be that you just pulled all of the hairs out and they would grow back normally, which isn't really traction alopecia which is typically permanent, and takes longer than 3 weeks.

Unfortunately, most people who think they might have MPB, do have MPB. 17 is early, but it does happen. Baldness from other causes often appears in patches (Alopecia Arreata) or all over, and NOT in a pattern on the temples.

17 is probably too early to take finasteride, because puberty can still be happening at this age. As far as taking minoxidil, it's not likely going to hurt you, especially in the long run. It's annoying, but really aside from finasteride, it's the only thing that is going to do anything. You could probably wait 6 months to a year to see where it goes, then start finasteride and it shouldn't progress that much in that time. There are rarely any side effects, contrary to the other poster.

Or you may just decide that you don't care that much about it and move on with your life.
                          Hello! Thanks for your detailed answer, I appreciate all input. Based on what the user above you mentioned, minoxidil apparently doesn't do too much.. I'd rather just hop on fin. The only downside is the fact that I can't get a hold of it, which means that I'll have to get it online with nor my parents or doctors consent..

I wore the top knot about 3 months ago, and I've read online that it can take up to 6 months for regrowth to occur. My hairline was perfectly thick back then but MPB is just a time factor in my family, so it wouldn't surprise me if I have it/or am going to have it anytime soon. Although I'd love to delay it quite a bit.. Would be great if I started receding at 25 or something like that but it kinda sounds like a stretch considering my current state.

Any advice on how I can achieve this? Also, are homeremedies actually a thing? Like quitting masturbation, applying coconut oil, doing handstands, etc?

All help is appreciated. Thanks guys.

EDIT: If anyone is interested, I can post all the pics I've taken for the past 3 months.

Comment

• Aonyx262
                            • Aug 2014

Originally posted by danylq
                            Hello! Thanks for your detailed answer, I appreciate all input. Based on what the user above you mentioned, minoxidil apparently doesn't do too much.. I'd rather just hop on fin. The only downside is the fact that I can't get a hold of it, which means that I'll have to get it online with nor my parents or doctors consent..

I wore the top knot about 3 months ago, and I've read online that it can take up to 6 months for regrowth to occur. My hairline was perfectly thick back then but MPB is just a time factor in my family, so it wouldn't surprise me if I have it/or am going to have it anytime soon. Although I'd love to delay it quite a bit.. Would be great if I started receding at 25 or something like that but it kinda sounds like a stretch considering my current state.

Any advice on how I can achieve this? Also, are homeremedies actually a thing? Like quitting masturbation, applying coconut oil, doing handstands, etc?

All help is appreciated. Thanks guys.

EDIT: If anyone is interested, I can post all the pics I've taken for the past 3 months.

I would advise against ordering propecia from India or anywhere overseas. You might be fine and get legit stuff, or you might get talcom powder or worse disguised as propecia. I went to a dermatologist to get my first script for propecia. If you can't afford that or can't find one that will prescribe it to you, you can try Medical Wellness Center (Google it). They prescribed my later propecia scripts and it was legit. You will have to fill out a medical questionnaire and you will have to be old enough. Its not valid in certain states (IL and a few others I think), but most of them are fine (assuming you are in the US). I've been on Finasteride for 3+ years and my hair has held steady and gotten thicker in some places. I started losing around 19-20. I'm almost 28 now. I wish I had started taking propecia when I first started noticing it. I've never had any side effects from it, but that's just my personal experience.

As far as home remedies go, there isn't anything that I've found makes a difference. You can try things like improving your diet. I doubt that not masturbating has any real effect, but it probably won't hurt you. I was into "scalp rolling" which basically abraids your scalp with tiny needles. In theory its supposed to improve blood flow and help minoxidil work better, but I can't say it made a huge difference, and it hurt a lot lol.

I don't know how close you are to 18, but it might be worth just waiting that long and reassess at that time. Although, given your family history it probably is MPB.

Good luck! We all know how much it sucks to have to deal with this, especially at such a young age, but its not the end of the world and there are things out there that do work to slow it down.

Comment

• danylq
                              • Apr 2017

Originally posted by Aonyx262
                              I would advise against ordering propecia from India or anywhere overseas. You might be fine and get legit stuff, or you might get talcom powder or worse disguised as propecia. I went to a dermatologist to get my first script for propecia. If you can't afford that or can't find one that will prescribe it to you, you can try Medical Wellness Center (Google it). They prescribed my later propecia scripts and it was legit. You will have to fill out a medical questionnaire and you will have to be old enough. Its not valid in certain states (IL and a few others I think), but most of them are fine (assuming you are in the US). I've been on Finasteride for 3+ years and my hair has held steady and gotten thicker in some places. I started losing around 19-20. I'm almost 28 now. I wish I had started taking propecia when I first started noticing it. I've never had any side effects from it, but that's just my personal experience.

As far as home remedies go, there isn't anything that I've found makes a difference. You can try things like improving your diet. I doubt that not masturbating has any real effect, but it probably won't hurt you. I was into "scalp rolling" which basically abraids your scalp with tiny needles. In theory its supposed to improve blood flow and help minoxidil work better, but I can't say it made a huge difference, and it hurt a lot lol.

I don't know how close you are to 18, but it might be worth just waiting that long and reassess at that time. Although, given your family history it probably is MPB.

Good luck! We all know how much it sucks to have to deal with this, especially at such a young age, but its not the end of the world and there are things out there that do work to slow it down.

Thank you for your response. I'll be 18 in a few months, and yeah, it probably is early stages of MPB. Not to freak you out or anything, but have you ever worried about the post side effects you might have to deal with after you stop using Propecia? Hopefully that'll never happen to you, but just incase I'd ever be in that situation.

Secondly, do you ever believe they'll solve this balding shit? Feels like it has taken forever, and will probably never get solved fully. (Atleast during our lifetime).

Comment

Working...