Strip scar regret + repair options - BaldTruthTalk.com
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Strip scar regret + repair options

Hey all,

I am 30 years old, had a FUT back in 2012 when I was 25 and thought the sky was falling when my hairline started to recede and impulsively had the surgery, leaving me with a fairly large scar 1-2cm thick and 16cm around my head. As the picture shows, I can't wear my hair shorter than a #5 to cover the scar (the surgeon said I could get away with a #2 no problem, typical sales pitch praying on my insecurities). I have had SMP put into the scar to try and help the contrast, but that is by no means a permanent or progressive solution. So, my question is whether or not I can FUE terminal or pubic hair from my beard, armpit, groin or other area into the scar, as I don't need to to look perfect but just need it to fill in the scar at a short hair length. Unfortunately I don't have any chest or back hair which is probably ideal for the size and consistency. Also, I'm in Toronto and have seen Rahal for a consult but he doesn't do body hair transplants. If anyone has any thoughts/experience/suggestions I would greatly appreciate it, thanks in advance fellas
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0671.jpg

Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	52953   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0681.jpg

Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	52954  

That's a poorly done scar your surgeon was pretty bad...Rahal coud fill this in with hair. Blood supply in a scar is not ideal not sur if body hair is suited for it anyway...

Yes, I realize how bad the scar looks, especially having cut my hair short a year ago and all the stares and questions the first couple days when it was really noticeable. I'd like to try body hair into the scar (despite the poor vascularization) and see what sticks, if any, before using any more valuable donor hairs that can be preserved for my frontline and crown area that will undoubtedly need work in the future. I have a large head too, which doesn't help when it comes to coverage. Anyway, I feel obliged to mention it was Dr. Robert Jones who did my surgery back in 2012 and I've seen bad results from him on this forum, so I can't be the only one with this issue. Problem is I can't find anyone to try FUE from body hair, anyone have a surgeon they would recommend, preferably in Toronto?

Yeah, that scar sucks. I'm sorry that happened to you. I've had a FUT and the scar is much better than that. You could try revision, but then you have to go through another FUT, but a better surgeon would likely give you a much better scar.

Yea, I've thought about doing that to try and reduce the width of the scar, but a) it would cost thousands with Rahal for example, and b) there's no guarantee it gets better and will probably stretch out after the fact, even with the most skilled surgeon. There's also a remote chance it gets worse and heals poorly/uneven and unsmooth, which makes it even more noticeable and unsightly with shorter hair and under direct light. Still hoping to FUE beard or body hair into it before resorting to using my precious remaining grafts. Thanks for replying

Default Any update?

Hey any update OP?

i heard Dr. John Cole in Atlanta does the body hair into the scar.

there are surgeons that will do body hair into the scar. I would think you could get a decent amount of improvement with that approach but if you are wanting the best possible result a scar revision using trichophytic closure with a top surgeon would almost be guaranteed to get just as much improvement and then adding fue into the revised scar would need far fewer grafts and give a the best possible result.

Dude, I don't know if you still come here or not but my scar looked worse than your scar (it was wider vertically) and my coarse curly hair made things much worse for me.

I then had another HT at H&W and Dr. Wong did a good job fixing that scar.

I think it is possible to get it fixed (narrowed) and with your hair type I think it's possible to get even better results.

Hey all,

No real update, just SMP'ed over the scar last summer with some improvement. I don't cut my hair shorter than a #5 clipper at the back now to cover it, so I don't have any progress pics to update on unfortunately. I met with Dr. Rahal recently about fixing the front of my head too (I'm a mess on both ends) and he didn't lean one way or the other over FUE vs strip scar revision, especially since I've already had it excised once before with no improvement. I'm probably going to leave the scar the size that it is and eventually try FUE beard hairs into it to create the illusion of growth, as I don't need it to look perfect. I will update this thread once I've had more procedures performed to keep everyone in the loop.

Edit: found the link to my SMP session 1st results with my hair decently long
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BOBljlUDcki/