+ Reply to Thread

Default Through thick and thin, my going bald story

This is a weird one. For all of the guys who say going bald is a death sentence, I honestly cannot relate on that part and think you may need to reevaluate your very self. I have embraced my baldness since I was 17 years old and I'm 23 now, I've had a very active and rewarding dating and sex life without ever having to lower my standards.

With my annoying introduction out of the way there's a lot of annoyances and sad realities about going bald. My family has a history of baldness, my grandfather went bald, my father went bald, my brother started taking Rogaine in highschool. I knew my fate was sealed, ever since 14 or so I was consciously aware that the volume and thickness of my hair was deflating at an alarming rate, by 15 my vortex began to open up and friends would crack jokes and stick their fingers in it, my hair would fall out onto the school desks even. By 17 I was getting ready for a date, I had just gotten out of the shower and slicking my hair back when I noticed a strip of thinning around my widows peak on my hair line...I had a bit of a breakdown, but when I grew my hair out long it wasn't noticeable I had thicker hair than most...when I was a kid you could rest books on my hair and it would hold them up, I was known for having thick hair that grew upwards for inches before even thought about laying down at all, it was part of my image. A few weeks after the date, I had a party at my house and was tired of all of the anxiety my hair had given me for the last 3 or so years and shaved my head at 17...never looked back, I've been shaving it every week or every other week ever since. I'd rather have a shaved head than a comb over or a wispy head of hair, but honestly...I think there's this reality whether you're Jason Statham, Zidan or Jeetu Verma you'd rather have a thick head of hair than be bald if given the option. Even shaved heads look better when you have a full head of hair.

Fast forward to 20 years old and I started seriously considering my options, PRP? Rogaine? Finasteride? I already knew I wasn't a candidate for any kind of transplant options which was a pretty costly and drastic plan anyways as I had diffused thinning everywhere by 20, even the back of the head and above the ears. I decided to start taking Rogaine at 20, I took it for about 8 months twice a day, everyday 5% it got ****ing expensive. I decided to grow my hair out at 21 while still using Rogaine I was curious....I hadn't seen what my head of hair looked like in 4 years at this point. I wasn't fond of Rogaine and the idea of being chemically dependent on it for the rest of my life if I found any positive results was a double edged sword to say the least. But honestly, I saw no real regrowth and my entire head had already diffused and thinned out so I gave it up.

Here's what my hair looked like in 2015 when I grew it out (sorry for the bad picture quality, I had to take a picture of an old phones screen that barely starts to even get this picture)

I wasn't pleased with the results, as a matter of fact my hair looked worse than I expected. I dropped the Rogaine shortly after. I kind of knew, even when you keep your hair short you can tell the thickness and health of it even if others cannot. Besides giving He Shou Wu and the ol' Dermaroller a try, I really hadn't bothered. I gotta say, I'm comfortable with myself and how I look but I do hate having to worry about the top of my scalp getting burnt or collecting freckles from sun exposure. Always having to shave my head so the male pattern baldness doesn't begin to blatantly show is also a bother...Hell I sometimes get ingrown hairs on my scalp that are annoying as **** too. There's still tons of small light brown or blondeish follicles over every inch of my scalp that become very apparent underneath the light. I'm not sure where to go from here, I've long since accepted I'm bald but if there's some healthy, not overly invasive or time consuming option that shows great results I will be on top of it. Being on finasteride for your entire life isn't worth it to me, that's not a healthy chemical to consume on a daily basis even if you're not getting side effects. Rogaine didn't do anything when I had tried it but it was too much of a bother anyways. The effects I've scene of PRP+Stem Cells is incredibly underwhelming and a guy who does the procedures leveled with me saying I'd need to be very realistic about what kind of results to expect, even after several procedures and thousands of dollars. I wouldn't go through with a transplant even if I was a candidate, which I'm not. It's a little annoying being a bald 23 year old, people often think I'm in my mid 30s but I honestly do well for myself in the appearance and romance aspects of life...yet I do long to feel a full head of hair atop my scalp again one day, I miss it very much, even if it's just for me.

Here's what I'm looking like these days

and my hair, when I let it grow out a bit more

Any hope or just **** it at this point?

Picture do not work. There are no healthy alternatives to growing hair...you need to accept some risk.

Quote Originally Posted by mrclean View Post
    Picture do not work. There are no healthy alternatives to growing hair...you need to accept some risk.
    That's annoying, ehh I should probably repost all the photos in an edit. Yeah, but I value my health a lot more than whether I have hair or not. That's sort of the issue.