+ Reply to Thread

Default Scared of getting transplant now

After reading post in here I dont know if im more inclined to get at HT or more inclined to not have one. I know one thing i wear hats everyday and i hate it. If the wind is blowing hard I become very nervous that it will blow off and everyone will start laughing. I have not come to grips wiith it and doesnt seem like i will. But after reading the posts about shock loss, and hair from the donor areas not looking like they belong i dont know wether to do it or not. Has anyone had a ht that they are truly satisfied with? Also when i look at the HTs consultation forms, the funniest question is desired results or what are you looking for? I am looking for my hair to be back as it once was what is anyone looking for? Also if you get one do you have to get another to keep the results from the first one? Bottom line i want to have one but if i will look worst afterwards then i did before who wants that, and also if it only last for a yr or 2 who can afford that?

Your confusion is completely understandable as there is no perfect 'solution' to hair loss. Hair transplantation can he a great option for people who are good candidates (based on age, degree of hair loss, family history of hair loss, etc.), have realistic expectations and an understanding of the pros and cons associated with the various procedures.

I know we ask patients about their desired results and expectations for a few reasons. As hair loss is a progressive condition, and everyone's donor supply is limited, sometimes it's just not possible to get someone back to exactly where they were before their hair loss started. We want to make sure patients have realistic expectations and, for example, don't have a 40 year old class VI patient who believes he can have the same hairline and density he had at age 18. On the other hand, it's helpful when patients can list their primary goals in seeking hair restoration, such as improving density on top or reinforcing their hairline.

Once you get a HT, your results will be permanent. You will, however, have to worry about continued loss of non-transplanted hair. This is why it is recommended that, prior to having a transplant, you begin medical therapy to try and maintain what hair you do have. No matter what, you want to discuss a long-term plan with your HT physician to ensure you don't have an overly aggressive procedure too early which leaves you with a depleted donor supply later on.

How old are you and what Norwood class would you say you are?

IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon Dr. Glenn Charles's Avatar

You must have realistic expectations. If you cannot do that then you probably should not proceed with a transplant. There is certainly a chance that you may want to do additional procedures if your hair loss continues or if you want increased density. I recommend that you strongly consider trying Propecia to try and prevent further genetic hair loss.
    Dr. Glenn Charles
    Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
    View my IAHRS Profile

I couldn't afford a hair transplant, but I hear they're 1,000 times better than they used to be. Not the 'doll hair' effect they were in the past.

So if you get a proper experienced surgeon, there should be no worries.