+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Nearing 6 months fin and worried

Hey all, 22 years old and started finasteride around mid January. Growing up I always had thick hair l, but figured genetically it wouldn't last forever. My mom would always joke that I had hair just like her father as a kid, and he was noticeable balding in his mid 20s. Father lost in his mid-30s, but still has some hair on top (albeit not too much) at 52. Around December I noticed my temple were receding and density was not as good as it once was. Nobody could tell I was losing, but when I ran my hand through my hair for 30 seconds I was getting 50+ hairs. I noticed itching around this time, but I have OCD and I'm sure rubbing my scalp constantly checking for hairs didn't help. Took the plunge on finasteride, and first 2.5 months were fine. Had watery semen and somewhat weaker erections, but I stopped constantly checking my hair. It seemed as though it was slowing down and the itch stopped, but I wasn't checking as compulsively. At 2.5 months I checked in the sink, and I was losing a ton of hair. Shortly after the itching returned with a vengeance, and I was shedding hair from all over. I get itching in particular areas and if I tug that area during the itch I can usually pull out a hair or two/ 2.5 months later and it's still happening, although the itch and shed is not as severe as it initially was. My density has gone down, but luckily no real visible bald spot yet. I've also noticed that this shed coincided with my sides subsiding, and I fear that I may be experiencing the dreaded hyperandrogenecity because of the itch and my libido feeing relatively higher. The only positive about this is that the shed started at around the three month mark, which i heard is the most common time for it to start. The itch is still there, but it's not constant all day (best days are when I use nizoral). The hairs I'm shedding now are mostly thin and small, where at the begInning I was shedding thicker hair (another reason I'm worried). Sorry for the rant, but any reassurance from shedders who recovered would be great right about now.

I'm in the same boat but I'm 21 I had reduclously thick hair last year and up until about December of this year and I started the same time as you and I'm getting a crazy amount of shedding and I'm starting to think it's propecia because of how much I have been losing

Yea it's unnerving when you read all these stories about fin just speeding up the mpb cycle. If it wasn't for this itching and tingling I wouldn't be half as worried, but it seems as though it's never a good sign. Do you have any of those sensations Gsm1005?

I know and it sucks that no one knows how to answer yoy on this website but I've had a lot of itching and flaking but I think my head got sunburnt because I shaved it down to like a 4 and my hair has never been that short in the summer before but it could also be from finasteride. But I do know my head got sunburnt.

Yea man we're in the dark here. I've read some people who said they had this and regrew, but also a lot of people who said they hadn't. I'm also shedding from the sides and back, and even from the eyebrows (??). This makes it sound like it could be TE from the drug, but the itch and gradual thinning of shed hairs is scary.

Yeah people who start to see results never hardley come back and tell there story I don't know what to do right now cause if my hair continues a she'd like this I'll go from having really nice hair to noticeably bald in barely a year

Gsm1005, I feel for you. I can only share with you and everyone else on the forum some information I have found and am only beginning to implement myself. Please look up and fully read the following two studies: the first is a randomized blind study and is a rather simple process of once weekly micro-needling with a 1.5 millimeter derma-roller over the balding area of the scalp followed by twice daily application of 5% Minoxidil. You can read the study for yourself at ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pic/articles/PMC3746236. Also, I found an enlightening study article on the application of- believe it or not- emu oil. It really deserves some serious consideration. You will find this study at the following site: undergroundhealthreporter.com By the way if you are not familiar with the biological rational behind microneedling the scalp with a derma-roller please google it. It has been proven to work. Anyway, I hope you find the above information helpful.

Default Gsm1005... please see comment from me, David M below...

Quote Originally Posted by Gsm1005 View Post
    Yeah people who start to see results never hardley come back and tell there story I don't know what to do right now cause if my hair continues a she'd like this I'll go from having really nice hair to noticeably bald in barely a year
    Gsm1005... Please see comment by me, David M above. Hope it helps.
    Last edited by David M; 06-29-2017 at 03:10 PM. Reason: Word correction

Thank You but with me being in college stuff like this isn't really feesable or realistic for me to find around where I live, I'm on propecia, and I started before people could notice my hairloss and it hasn't taken my hairline back it's crazy how it's not working for me in any way shape or form I feel it's increasing my hairline recession

Yea same boat here, just looking to maintain and it seems as though propecia just kicked my mpb into fifth gear. Don't know how much longer I'm willing to wait to see if it's a "shed" as my symptoms don't suggest that's the case.