Threaded View

Default Impact of Propecia side effects in FUE decision - Thoughts?

Hi, I have a dilemma and would welcome others perspectives.

I'm a 35yr old male seriously considering FUE for first time NW2/3 (not officially checked). Receding hairline, slight thinning on crown.

I was thinning a lot on my crown & temples from early 20s. At about 24 I started using Finasteride for ~1 yr, 5MG a day but cut/ bit inaccurately, so ~ 1.5/2.5mg per day. It stopped sheddinging and I saw regrowth on crown. I stopped because I noticed larger chest, seemed like excessive fat/glands around slightly puffy nipples, but not painful or lumpy. I can't say for certain if this was definitely as a result of the Finasteride, I was a little chubbier then, but 10 yrs on, I still have this. I can live with it though. 10 yrs on I have 2 kids, healthier lifestyle and weight train more often (upper chest). People say my chest doesn't look like i have 'moobs' but it still bothers me a little, when nipples harden it looks ok, when soft, I don't think it does.

Being conscious of my hair for a long time - I'm now seriously considering FUE. I've done research & visited clinics in London. I've spoken with one surgeon, Dr Reddy and would likely proceed with him if I was to do it summary ~3500 hairs needed (none advised for crown).

One of the key things advised was to begin propecia 1mnth before and 1mnth after surgery to prevent shock loss. I know that if continued longer term, it would drastically prolong the hair - all good (in theory) . One of my issues is with the decision to start Propecia again and fear of side effects - Gyno/moobs. Anecdotally (from forum reads) it seems this is relatively common, but all the official stuff seems to say this is very uncommon (like less than 2% cases). I like the thought of FUE and am kind of OK with the fact I MAY need another FUE in future, but I do not like the thought of big moobs.

My gut instinct is to go for it, monitor any reaction in chest area and if theres anything slight just stop it - and cross any side effect situation/need for future surgery when that issue comes along (hey it mightn't happen, I realise I'm trying to predict the future).

Dr Reddy said I could be more prone to big shock loss as my front area is quite thin. So my Qs are about the possible duration & impact of Propecia in parallel with FUE , the info may help with my decision, so I would appreciate comments;

- Would using less propecia 1mg a day or every other day seem to limit or reduce any side effects, as opposed to the larger doses ~2.5mg i was taking?

> Would using Propecia "just to cover the pre surgery and post surgery" (say 6mnths after) be enough to prevent the shock loss? And then presumably I revert to nature taking its course again - (Dr Reddy said he wouldn't advise proceeding with surgery if I DIDn't do this).

> Are there any natural supplements for moobs/gyno that would limits any possible effect of estrogen to cause them? I've read zinc, but is this effective?

> Has anyone faced this dilemma that could comment on experience?

> In lieu of Propecia, can anyone comment on how good minoxodil would be to 'slow things down'? Plus would it have similar moobs side effects as Propecia?

I'm 35, what I don't want is a head with an island of good hair and none anywhere else. My genetics would indicate that natural loss would be quite gradual (father did reasonably well into 40s). If I got 5yrs out of the surgery withought having to give more serious thought to fixing crown areas/more surgery, I think i'd be happy.

this was a long post if you've got this far, any thoughts welcome.

Thanks