+ Reply to Thread

Default Proof Finasteride is Working

Hello,

I'm 26, 13 months into generic finasteride (aurobindo) from Costco. I'm also 14 months into Rogaine.

I don't notice much if any difference positive or negative difference in my hair over this time (which I know overall is good)

However, I also know that your hairloss pattern can stall and restart without medication anyway.

However, when I shower and style I can easily get 25 hairs each morning. I find some on the pillow as well. While I understand it is normal to lose hair each day, things like this weren't happening when I was 22 before I noticed any hairloss.

For those of you who are confident Fin/Rogaine is working, what makes you confident? Did the hair in the shower/styling stop? Is there some other way? Basically nothing has changed, the positives or negatives.

Quote Originally Posted by jthomas22 View Post
    Hello,

I'm 26, 13 months into generic finasteride (aurobindo) from Costco. I'm also 14 months into Rogaine.

I don't notice much if any difference positive or negative difference in my hair over this time (which I know overall is good)

However, I also know that your hairloss pattern can stall and restart without medication anyway.

However, when I shower and style I can easily get 25 hairs each morning. I find some on the pillow as well. While I understand it is normal to lose hair each day, things like this weren't happening when I was 22 before I noticed any hairloss.

For those of you who are confident Fin/Rogaine is working, what makes you confident? Did the hair in the shower/styling stop? Is there some other way? Basically nothing has changed, the positives or negatives.

I started Propecia in 1998. after about 5 or 6 months, I could actually see the bald spot in the back of my head shrink by a half inch or more around its circumference.

Ahead of the bald spot I had had transplants, and though it didn't seem as if any new hair grew between the transplanted hairs, the transplanted hairs might have become a little more robust.

The other interesting thing I noticed was that the hair on the sides and back of my head seemed to become thicker--in the year or two leading up to my taking Propecia, it seemed the hair on the back and sides was becoming too see through in many places, but that reversed soon after I started Propecia.

But now the bad news: the positive effects seemed to start to wane after about 15 months.

So I started taking a half tab of finasteride--I didn't notice a dramatic increase in hair growth. Maybe it slowed down loss.

Then around 2003 I went on Avodart. And again I didn't notice any reqrowth although it might have slowed down the loss.

However, the benefits I got from all these DHT inhibitors seemed to slowly fade over the years. Over the last five years, my temples receded such that one is even with the sideburn and the other has receded past the sidebburn. and the last two years the deterioration of my hair has been even more dramatic. The transplanted hairs have most of them gotten very fine in diameter. Strangely, my back and sides, where the transplants were harvested, also has less robust hair, but still stronger looking than the transplants.

The moral of the story is at first I noticed dramatic gains after starting propecia--not anything like going from a norwood 5 to a 1 or 2, nothing that good--but actual and obvious hair regrowth around the bald spot in back. But those gains soon began to fade over time.

This was similar to when I first started using minoxidil topical in the 1980s, I noticed improvement after a year which also soon faded with time; but the improvement from starting minoxidil wasn't as easy to spot as when I started propecia.

I suspect the problem is that the further your hair loss has been going on, the more cycles your follicles have used up. So that if you do manage to kick start them again, the new hairs will not keep cycling forever.

Any update JP?