+ Reply to Thread

Default 16 years old receding hairline (with pics)

Hi guys, I'm new here
    https://imgur.com/gallery/bs1v3
    This is my hairline. It's always been high, but in the past year i believe it to have started to recede. My dad 50 and is probably a norwood 3, and has been since his 30's as far as i can tell. I'd say i'm about a norwood 1.5 right now but I might be wrong. One thing that is worrying me is that one temple has appeared to recede further than the other. I am accepting of the fact I am probably one of those unlucky guys with a bad hairline, but right now, I don't think my hair is thinning. I have noticed more shedding recently but I think that's probably down to slight paranoia. What do you guys suggest? Right now, I would be more interested in halting recession and maintaining my hairline than attempting to regrow it. Minoxidil? Or is there any shampoos that could have a positive effect? Thanks for reading

I do not see much recession in your photos, but it does sort of look like a "mature" hairline. At such an early stage it's subtle and difficult to assess without comparison pictures. Either way, even though 16 is young to start losing hair, you never know how far it will go. It may stop there and not get any worse or you may eventually lose it all. More than likely you will fall somewhere in between. But there is really no reliable way to know.

Treatment is limited for male pattern baldness. There are 3 known effective methods for slowing/halting it - Finasteride, Minoxidil and Nizoral.

Finasteride works by acting on an enzyme that is responsible for converting Testosterone into a more potent androgen, DHT. As a result, your DHT levels will be reduced by about 60%. Since this hormone is responsible for hair loss in people who have follicles which are genetically sensitive to it, the medication has been shown to be very effective in halting the balding process for them. I would strongly advise against using it, however, because of your age. You should not systematically reduce DHT while you are still maturing. There can also be some sexual side effects such as decreased libido and erectile dysfunction. And in rare instances, feminizing side effects that are related to hormonal imbalances in a small number of people who take it.

Minoxidil is another option which can be effective, but does not address the root cause of balding. Nonetheless, it can stimulate the follicles allowing them to thrive for a while longer. It must be used twice a day and over time can become bothersome to apply for some people.

Nizoral is a shampoo which contains Ketoconazole, and is marketed as an anti-fungal shampoo that treats dandruff. There have been recent studies show that it may help with hair loss due to it's ability to reduce scalp inflammation. There is an OTC 1% version and a prescription 2% version. It's generally used twice a week.

All of these treatments will cease being helpful if you do not continue with them. Not much else will slow down the balding process. Certain lifestyle choices have been shown to make it worse though, such as poor nutrition, sleeping habits and stress. So keep these things in check with whatever else you decide to do. Good luck!

Thank you my friend. I am going to research minoxidil and nizarol further, but I have decided against finasteride, at this point in my life anyway.

According to me, its just a mature hairline. Still if you have any doubt then why don't you visit the dermatologist? He will give the best suggestion and can clear all of your doubts.

I plan on visiting a dermatologist soon. Thanks for your input and advice.

Inactive

It's nearly impossible to tell based on photos alone, but I agree that it doesn't seem to be too dire and may very well just be your hairline maturing. The base of the hairline is very dense, which is a good sign. Personally, I don't see cause for alarm - but I also think seeing a dermatologist to get an in-person evaluation and to give you peace of mind is a very good idea.

Thanks. I'm going to book an appointment with a derm next week, after my exams are over

Thumbs up

excellent decision

A "maturing" hairline IS a receding hairline. Don't be fooled by semantics! Of course there is no way to know how far it will progress, but don't try to convince someone that they are not experiencing some sort of hair loss if it is obvious that they are.