+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Is this MPB

Default Is this MPB

20, No hair loss other than one relative who is Norwood 6/7. Father and both grandfather's maintained a mature hairline although they didn't experience recession until late 20's. Hair is still thick overall, not sure if I've experienced thinning. I've never seen thin patches so when I realised I'd receded it was a huge shock.. as if it happened overnight.

I'm not sure whether it's anxiety but I'm leading to believe that I'm following my Norwood 6/7 relative. My crown sits in the same place as my maternal grandmother's and her father had the balding gene. Yes I've heard of a mature hairline but that is something developed in a later age (25-40).

My hairline has changed shape as you can probably see from the photo's. I've developed a wide M/ widows peak type hairline where as my hairline used to be pretty much straight. I've wrinkled my forehead so you can see where the juvenile hairline once sat. One thing I did notice from a child. I had a small circular shape in the middle of my hairline? It was very small but kind of resembled a wide widows peak.. could that mean I have one explaining the V shape hairline?

If someone could take a proper look at the photo's and description I've provided, give a reply I'd appreciate it so much. All I want to know is whether or not, this is Start of MPB so I can take action quickly if need be. I'm very paranoid as like I said.. the only balding member in my family was Norwood 6/7 so if this is MPB then it's an aggressive form that could kick start at any time.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1213.JPG

Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	52475   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1214.JPG

Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	52476   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1215.JPG

Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	52477   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1216.jpg

Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	52478   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1217.JPG

Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	52479  

I think you are being paranoid!

Quote Originally Posted by BaldBearded View Post
    I think you are being paranoid!
    Agreed, what is going with kids nowadays? when I was 20 you had to be really balding for anyone even wonder about it now the forum is full of kids counting hair...

i think everything is alright.

I really don't think you need to worry. You have what is quite frankly an incredible hairline. Perhaps it has matured (I don't know as I haven't witnessed any changes) but the current shape of your hairline is aesthetically pleasing. Much better than my hairline ever was.

We can't tell you with any certainty whether you will start to experience MPB, but at this time I see no reason to worry and I definitely wouldn't recommend starting any treatments at this stage.

Just monitor your hair for any changes. Try not to stress or obsess and enjoy what you have. That's the best advice you could receive.
    I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal

My FUE With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

Quote Originally Posted by Louish View Post
    Agreed, what is going with kids nowadays? when I was 20 you had to be really balding for anyone even wonder about it now the forum is full of kids counting hair...
    Or better... post over and over and over again, waiting for a different answer!

I think you are OK for the time being but just keep an eye on it. Your temples are a bit receded which is perfectly normal, what you need to look out for is miniaturized hairs along the hairline or further temple recession + hairline recession. There are hardly any miniaturized hairs on your hairline so it is too early for finasteride imo, if things get worse post pics again.

Technically just one MPB relative is enough to screw you, but the chances are pretty low given you're family history. And it is a combination of genes so even if you got some of that one relatives the other good hair genes would still help ie the loss would not be as extensive or occur more slowly.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan26 View Post
    I think you are OK for the time being but just keep an eye on it. Your temples are a bit receded which is perfectly normal, what you need to look out for is miniaturized hairs along the hairline or further temple recession + hairline recession. There are hardly any miniaturized hairs on your hairline so it is too early for finasteride imo, if things get worse post pics again.

Technically just one MPB relative is enough to screw you, but the chances are pretty low given you're family history. And it is a combination of genes so even if you got some of that one relatives the other good hair genes would still help ie the loss would not be as extensive or occur more slowly.
    Yes this is exactly what I've been trying to find out.. whether our hair is a combination of genes or singular one inherited from an individual in the family.

What does miniaturised hair look like? I do have some shorter hairs along the hairline that sometimes sticks out.. as you can probably see from the pictures.

It looks like those little stragglers you have on your hairline. But everyone even without MPB will have some of those, it is when you start getting lots of them and specifically on your hairline where you need to worry. If those miniaturized ones you have disappeared you would still be left with a nice thick hairline so I would not get too overly worried atm.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackito View Post
    Yes this is exactly what I've been trying to find out.. whether our hair is a combination of genes or singular one inherited from an individual in the family.

What does miniaturised hair look like? I do have some shorter hairs along the hairline that sometimes sticks out.. as you can probably see from the pictures.
    It's multiple genes on multiple chromosomes just like most phenotypes. Even eye color is not from only one gene. I though I was clear about that on your other post.