+ Reply to Thread

Default Does finasteride lose its effect after a while?

Does finasteride start to become less effective at prevention over time or does this vary depending on the individual? I've seen many people post threads on here claiming to have been on finasteride for over 15 years and lost no hair since the day they started taking the pill. Then I've seen other's say they've expierneced shedding after so many years and have to increase their dosage.

Why is finasteride much more effective for some people? Does it have anything to do with when you start taking it.. for example, those who begin taking the drug before the proper balding kicks in. I heard an expression in reference to finasteride.. 'two trains leave a station, one going faster than the other. The slower train is much easier and quicker to stop than the other travelling faster'

I love how ignororant and unhelpful everybody is on this site

Yes.

No.

Maybe so.

We can't say for sure, but IMO yes you are better off using it the earlier on in the MPB process you are. Once the genetic switch flips and DHT starts miniaturizing the follicle, many other factors besides DHT come in to play.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan26 View Post
    We can't say for sure, but IMO yes you are better off using it the earlier on in the MPB process you are. Once the genetic switch flips and DHT starts miniaturizing the follicle, many other factors besides DHT come in to play.
    My hairline has moved up over the past year. It's weird because I never saw any thinning, I'm also very self aware so if there was any I'd of spotted it. It's literally as if my hairline just disappeared into this little V shape overnight. I can't tell when the right time is to use finasteride so it's difficult! I'm pretty sure that I'm going to require it at some point in my life and likely sooner than later.

Yeah actually

Finasteride lost its effect after sometime as because our body just become habitual to this drug. Our body generate the ability to tolerate its effects over a long time .

Quote Originally Posted by Simar View Post
    Yeah actually

Finasteride lost its effect after sometime as because our body just become habitual to this drug. Our body generate the ability to tolerate its effects over a long time .
    That is not technically true. The drug remains as effective at doing what it is designed to do from the day you take it until the day you stop, ie succesfully inhibit the 5ar2 enzyme and reduce serum DHT. The problem some people have strong hairloss genes and overtime their AR gets more sensitive and the DHT inhibition is not enough, Testosterone can also effect hair, other factors come into play etc...Still though the 5 and 10 year and other long term fin studies show it is pretty effective long term.

Finasteride can lose effectiveness over time and the reasons lie in what Dan26 said above. As much as I'd like to be able to give you a solid indication of how effective the treatment would be, that simply isn't possible. There isn't a person on the planet, no matter how qualified, who can give you the certainty that you're looking for; because nothing is certain in the genetic lottery that is male pattern balding.

But with that all said, I have seen your photos and I don't think you are set on a path where hairloss will progress in the short term and I wouldn't recommend starting any treatments yet.
    I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal

My FUE With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com