+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Male balding

Default Male balding

If I have a relative that is Norwood 7, does that mean I'm definitely going to be a Norwood 7 or can it stop at a certain point

Nooo, Its not compulsory that if your relative is bald then you will be bald. There are different reasons of balding.

Quote Originally Posted by Simar View Post
    Nooo, Its not compulsory that if your relative is bald then you will be bald. There are different reasons of balding.
    Hi Simar could you elaborate on that? I've become extremely paranoid because there's a side in my family that has Norwood 7. This is the only side that balding is actually present but I believe that's the side I've inherited my hair from.

It's unlikely that you'll follow the hair loss patterns and speed of hairloss you see in relatives. It just doesn't seem to work that way. Some guys can point to a relative and say that their pattern is very similar and their hairloss began at around the same age, but it is never exactly the same.

My mother's father started losing hair very early. I've seen a photo of him at around age 13 and he was already receding. He ended up a Norwood 7. My hair loss is nothing like his and doesn't resemble anyone in my family.
    I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal

My FUE With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

Quote Originally Posted by mattj View Post
    It's unlikely that you'll follow the hair loss patterns and speed of hairloss you see in relatives. It just doesn't seem to work that way. Some guys can point to a relative and say that their pattern is very similar and their hairloss began at around the same age, but it is never exactly the same.

My mother's father started losing hair very early. I've seen a photo of him at around age 13 and he was already receding. He ended up a Norwood 7. My hair loss is nothing like his and doesn't resemble anyone in my family.
    Thanks Matt I appreciate the detailed reply. Do we take after one individual within the family in reference to hair and hair loss or does our hair take multiple genes into account?

Quote Originally Posted by Jackito View Post
    Thanks Matt I appreciate the detailed reply. Do we take after one individual within the family in reference to hair and hair loss or does our hair take multiple genes into account?
    To be honest it isn't very well understood. Some guys with hairloss can't find any relatives who have experienced the same, and so it has seemed to come from nowhere. As a rule of thumb though, the more hairloss you see in your family, the more likely you are to go bald. But don't expect to take after any particular individual within your family.

When I first noticed my hairloss, I started to take note of other family members and family photos took on a new significance - but I can't find anyone who has the same hairloss pattern as me. Some have much worse hair starting at an earlier age, so have none at all.
    I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal

My FUE With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

Hii Jackito

I think its all about your own health issues. Your diet, health, stress level, depression everything effects your hair. If you are healthy mentally and physically, then you will never be bald at all

Quote Originally Posted by mattj View Post
    To be honest it isn't very well understood. Some guys with hairloss can't find any relatives who have experienced the same, and so it has seemed to come from nowhere. As a rule of thumb though, the more hairloss you see in your family, the more likely you are to go bald. But don't expect to take after any particular individual within your family.

When I first noticed my hairloss, I started to take note of other family members and family photos took on a new significance - but I can't find anyone who has the same hairloss pattern as me. Some have much worse hair starting at an earlier age, so have none at all.
    Have you tried looking at great grandparents? Maybe your grandmother's father as he's still considered a maternal grandfather. Sometimes I think you've got to look past a couple of generations to identify the hairloss.

I agree with Matt in that you can't expect the same hair loss patterns but if most of your family has significant balding, you are more likely to get it.

All of the males that I'm aware of on both sides of my family were FULLY bald by age 21, with the exception of one. That exception lost most of his hair by 40. I, myself, did not follow a pattern that severe and only had noticeable hair loss at 28. Unfortunately, I waited to get on meds and it's gotten pretty bad (in my perspective) but I'm still a Norwood 3 albeit with thinning on top. You never know, really.

Quote Originally Posted by keebler239 View Post
    I agree with Matt in that you can't expect the same hair loss patterns but if most of your family has significant balding, you are more likely to get it.

All of the males that I'm aware of on both sides of my family were FULLY bald by age 21, with the exception of one. That exception lost most of his hair by 40. I, myself, did not follow a pattern that severe and only had noticeable hair loss at 28. Unfortunately, I waited to get on meds and it's gotten pretty bad (in my perspective) but I'm still a Norwood 3 albeit with thinning on top. You never know, really.
    How long have you been taking finasteride for if you don't mind me asking? I'm considering it in the near future.

I only have one side that balding is present and that's my great grandfather (maternal grandmother's father). My dad and both granddads still have mature hairlines. I think I'm unfortunately taking after my grandmother's side though as I'm a Norwood 2 developing a widows peak at 20.