+ Reply to Thread

Default Question about whether HT can increase density

I'd like to have more density in the hair at the top of my head. There's what looks like plenty of hair there, it's just thin and looks nothing how it used to when I was younger. Can a transplant improve density? The photographs of fresh HT patients on this site show the implanted hairs arn't really all that close to one another, looks as though each hair has about a millimetre of clear around it which is kind of how I am now.

I've attached a photograph of the density I currently have (with a penny for scale). Can anyone tell me if a HT will help?

Any help very much appreciated!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ingodwetrust.jpg

Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	4777  

The danger in transplanting hair to areas that are only thinning is that you may do more harm than good to the existing hair. In transplanting too many grafts in a single pass, you risk shock loss, particularly if the existing hair is already miniaturized or very fine. Doctors are also cautious about placing too many grafts in the recipient area in one go because this can result in a poorer yield than would occur with a more conservative approach. Needless to say, your best bet at this point would be to first try medical therapy, for at least six to twelve months, to see if you can stabilize your hair loss and possibly achieve some regrowth.

Thanks for your reply. I have been taking Finasteride for about a year now and believe my hair loss has stabilised (I think it has been for the past couple of years).

Would you not recommend a HT for someone with my type of baldness?
    Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	hairface.jpg

Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	4781  

barry77, I am not expert at all but from what I have seen a HT can definitely help someone in your situation. You might want to consider PRP or minoxidil to try and increase density also.

Although you are experiencing hair loss, the only indication thus far is miniaturization at the top of your scalp. Unfortunately, any effort to maximally increase the density at this point will place your existing hair at risk of accelerated loss. Grafting will improve the overall quality of your hair, but the resulting density will probably be less than what it is now.

Your current follicular unit density is likely somewhere around 100 per sq cm. Therefore, it would require this sort of transplanted density to match what you used to have. Such densities are technically difficult to achieve, may result in a lower than optimal yield, and are really unnecessary to reach (as one can have the appearance of good coverage with a density lower than this). The general rule is that a density of 50% of the original will provide sufficient coverage (though this is only a generalization that will not apply to all individuals). Basically, I would advise you to put off hair restoration at this time, particularly if you wish to maintain what hair you do have presently. This probably isn't what you wanted to hear but I hope it helps!

Quote Originally Posted by CIT_Girl View Post
    ... Basically, I would advise you to put off hair restoration at this time, particularly if you wish to maintain what hair you do have presently. This probably isn't what you wanted to hear but I hope it helps!
    Okay, thanks for your advice, I appreciate it.