+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

I really liked the original post.

A few things jumped out at me, like the fact that you were getting hot chicks regardless of your level of hairloss. Also, what your boss said about the guy who wears the wig. It's not hairloss that's affecting how people see him, it's the fact that he's trying to hide it that makes him look pathetic.

Quote Originally Posted by KeepTheHair View Post
    Thanks man. Time will tell...

Damn... HT's....so many things can go wrong.
    Things can go right too... things went very right for me. However, my doctor forgot to stress whats going to happen as my hair keeps falling out. During that time my attitude about balding also changed... just another life lesson.

Quote Originally Posted by [mcr] View Post
    I really liked the original post.

A few things jumped out at me, like the fact that you were getting hot chicks regardless of your level of hairloss. Also, what your boss said about the guy who wears the wig. It's not hairloss that's affecting how people see him, it's the fact that he's trying to hide it that makes him look pathetic.
    That is the point I am trying to make... hairloss is natural, unfortunately it is more severe for some more than others.

Covering it up is unnatural... and I am sorry but I can pick out even the best HT from far away. Can people who haven't gone through the process of getting one tell... I don't know.

Hairloss is only BAD if it's happening to you... no one else gives a sh*t about your hair. And for the people that make comments about your thinning hair, they are just trying to be funny. If they knew how much it effected you they would never say it to your face.

They only mention it because it isn't that big of a deal, except to you who robably blows it WAAAY out of proportion (like I used to...)

To be completely honest, not having hair DOES make people less attractive, if we consider a universal ideal of attractiveness. This affects their confidence and self-esteem, which makes them even less attractive. So it's a double whammy.

The people who embrace their hair loss and shave their heads or keep their hair very very short are every bit as attractive as people with hair (think Jason Statham, Vin Diesel).

The only ones suffering are the ones in between. But as we all know, it's hard to let go.

Quote Originally Posted by [mcr] View Post
    To be completely honest, not having hair DOES make people less attractive, if we consider a universal ideal of attractiveness.
    It's funny though that in other mammals going bald it's considered a sign of social maturity. They become the leaders. Why can it be like this with humans...?

hindsight2020 ...great first post, i really loved it. Thanks for sharing it with us.

I wrote a post once about how hair loss actually helped me...gain wisdom and understanding and motivation. But if were to chose...I'd chose hair in a heart beat.

Something I keep noticing about even the best hair transplants is that there is a thinning line around the head. From the temples around the head. If you view from the top or even sides. That is a sign of a HT. It is probably because no doctor would really bother putting too many grafts at the sides because it won't give as good cosmetic appeal as putting it on the top.

Then again I have seen very magical transplants...some look extremely natural and no way ANYONE could tell a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by KeepTheHair View Post

Then again I have seen very magical transplants...some look extremely natural and no way ANYONE could tell a difference.
    You can always tell.. sometimes you just need to be a bit closer. The reasson you can always tell is, natural hair on the top of your head isn't always the same thickness... and there are many very very small hair all around the thicker ones... in a HT, you are only transplanting thick hair back to the scalp leaving out the thinner hairs is what creates the brissle look, which every HT has assuming the head was completley bald naturally.

No man, I have seen some incredible ones.

I have seen one where the doctor transplanted more towards the back, left the front somewhat thinning. It looked amazing! He didn't have s trong hairline or anything but the overall look was amazing and the hairline still had a ton of thinning soft hairs...looked great. super natural. No way you could spot it. It looked great. I have seen a whole bunch of good transplants. It really can be done. Although your right. If you want a hairline totally restored it won't look 100% natural.

But if I get one I will wear my hair DOWN, not up. So it won't even show or be a problem at all for me.

Welcome to the forum Hinsight20/20 your attitude is incredibly refreshing and very appreciated. I’ve made this place kind of my second home for the past year or so and I’ve read some very interesting stories. I love this forum more than any other because people really seem to open up about their feelings here. It’s very real and yes sometimes depressing and a downer, but it can also be uplifting like your posts are. You have certainly gained a lot of wisdom through your experiences and I think your presence here will help a lot of us, maybe even fixedby35

Thanks Delphi ...

The only reason I joined these boards wasn't for self enlightenment, or to get opinions or ideas from. I've been there and because I've been there I learned a lot about who I am. I joined because right now I am at a point where I no longer ONLY have to deal with balding, but the scars left over from a mistake I made when I was young. I am not saying HT's are bad for everyone, but for people who are thinking of getting them for people who think thier life is over without hair, I would love to tell my story and maybe help them see the other side of things before making such a big decision that will impact the resot of thier lives.

I let my hairloss consume me, it still does to a degree. For the past 10 years I probably didn't go for more than 15 minutes at any given time without worrying about my hair... were people looking?... is my scar exposed?... oh sh*t, its windy today!... Can't go swimming, what will I do after I get out?... This girl is really hot, can she tell I have a HT?.... If I can't wear a hat, I'm not going... the list can go on forever. Things NO ONE ELSE in the world has to think of or deal with, I was making myself miserable over.

That has come to an end within the past year or so. My hair has had enough of my time, I lost most of my 20's to worrying about it when in reality no one else cared that I was balding. No one stopped being my friend as a result of losing my hair, girls didn't stop flirting with me, employers didn't pass me up because of a thinning hairline... but why did I feel like it was the end of the world and NO ONE has it worse than I did. I hate myself today for letting my life be ruined because I was embarrassed of a natural occuring thing and I feel like I owe it to myself to make the next 10 years my best. It has been rare, but situations where hair transplants were the topic, or something I had to talk about is way more embarrasing then going naturally bald. I felt pathetic for trying to cover it up.

By exposing my scars (getting them reduced too) lasering out my transplants, I feel completely alive again. Do I look as good bald as with hair, no, not at all. But this is who I am. I am proud of me. I want to go into a social gathering saying 'Look at me, I am bald and shave my head as a result' and get it over with... rather than go in looking like I have hair, but as people approach me can they tell? Does it look bad today? Is this light making it obvious I am bald? Did my hair move when I got out of the car?

The feeling of going back to my natural state is so refreshing. I though getting my hair back (via HT) was the best thing ever... its not even close to how I feel today, and how excited I am to go back to me, worry free. My best years are ahead of me... and I can't wait to actually be able to live without fear on a daily basis again.