Minoxidil + Toppik + Shower + Exercise...Queries on combination of these - BaldTruthTalk.com
+ Reply to Thread

Default Minoxidil + Toppik + Shower + Exercise...Queries on combination of these

Hey guys,

So I've started applying 5% minoxidil this week- once in the morning and once at night. I use the pipette type applicator rather than the spray as you have more control over the application and I can apply it directly to the scalp...and there is no loss into the hair or the air as with the spray.

Anyway, I have read in a study that Minoxidil is absorbed 50% by hour 1, 75% by hours 4 and should be left on for 8 hours for full impact. I have quite a few queries and I am hoping I can get some help please! I am also wondering what other people do in this situation.

1- Toppik + Minoxidil.
    I know toppik doesn't interact with minoxidil, however, will it absorb the minoxidil instead of being absorbed in the scalp. For example, I wake up, shower, let the scalp dry and then apply minoxidil. The issue is I need to head to work straight away so I can't wait 4 to 8 hours so I have to apply Toppik before I leave...will this affect it's effect?

2- Minoxidil + Styling.
    Similar to the above, will any styling products such as hair gel or paste affect minoxidils efficacy? Can I apply product straight away? I have also heard that you shouldn't use a hair dryer when minoxidil is on, but the problem is the application of minoxidil is greasy and kind of clumps my hair together making my thin hair look worse than it is! The only way to combat this is by using a comb and a hair dryer to separate the hairs and style it so it looks like it has more volume. Can I do this? If not, what do people in this situation do?

3- Minoxidil + Exercise.
    On top of the queries above, will exercising effect the absorption of Minoxidil. What I mean is, when I exercise, I sweat a fair bit obviously, will this sweat 'wash' away the minoxidil from the scalp if I exercise within the first 8 hours of application? Is my only option to exercise after 8 hours from the application?

4-Application times and frequency.
    I have been advised to apply the solution twice a day, roughly 12 hours apart. This is a bit of an issue as, say I somehow get past all the problems listed above and apply the solution in the morning, then apply toppik, style etc... When it comes to night time, do I have to shower to remove all the toppik/styling products before the night application?? This seems like a big hassle to me to have to shower twice a day! On top of this, if the applications have to be 12 hours apart, it would mean applying minoxidil at around 6-7pm which isn't exactly 'just before' bed meaning, I'll have to reapply toppik, hairdry, style etc if I had plans to go out or meet people etc.

Is there an alternative option such as applying twice the amount of solution once a day? Will the half life of the product allow it? Or is it just a stupid idea?

I apologise if any of the questions come across as silly or obvious. Thanks a lot in advance for any help or advice!

Just FYI- I am currently off work so it is okay for now but I can see it being a very tedious process once I start working!

Anyone?

It's really disheartening if there really is no solution to this problem other than just living with the issues.

I can't answer all of your questions cuz I don't use toppik. I don't think it can absorb minox because it is just keratin fibers just like your hair.

You are correct, blow drYing is not recommended when using minox when it's freshly applied as it can potentially blow away the minox that is sitting on your scalp in a saturated solution.

Dr. Bernstein recommends his patients only use minox once a day for convenience and because the half life has been shown to be 22 hours in studies. So it probably won't matter much if you do not space your applications exactly 12 hours apart.

Have u tried minox foam? It's supposedly more style friendly and dries quick.

I mean do what u can. R u gonna sit there with a timer waiting and skip out on exercise because it hasn't been exactly 12 hours since minox application?

I don't think any layperson on thus board including myself can answer your questions fully. Why not contact the manufacturers and find out directly from the people that developed the products?