Post FUE queries + shock loss + minoxidil - BaldTruthTalk.com
+ Reply to Thread

Unhappy Post FUE queries + shock loss + minoxidil

Hey guys,

I have a few queries, I am hoping I can get some answers/reassurance here. I'll start with a quick summary.

I'm currently 26, I've had thinning hair since I was 18. I currently have a Norwood 3 Vertex with the rest of my hair being very thin as well so much so that you can see straight through the hair to the scalp in the majority of the area.

I finally had a hair transplant exactly 1 week ago today. I had a 1500 graft FUE- 1200 on temples and front hairline and about 300 on the top of the head spread around. To be honest, I went in hoping for most of it to be put in the crown area as I am the most bald there, however, the doc said that I wasn't actually bald there and that my hair was really thin. So there was no 'space' to implant without risking existing roots and that I was better off using meds for those areas. Just FYI, this doc is highly accredited and highly recommended so I don't doubt his skills or advice.

Anyway, it has been a week and I was advised to start using minoxidil and finasteride from today- I am initially going to try minoxidil for a few months and then add finasteride if minoxidil fails.

When applying minoxidil and running my fingers through my hair, I have had about 200 strands of hair come out over 2 days....this is quite alarming! I realise shock loss is normal but I thought that wouldn't happen till a few months later? Also is so much hair loss normal? In addition, I am wondering will there be a knock on effect to the shock loss from minoxidil as well? Is there anyway I can minimise this, if not, what kind of time scales am I looking at and how much hair can I expect to lose? Will it all eventually grow back- loss from FUE and loss from Minoxidil?

Thank you in advance!

I don't really understand why the doctor would not want to treat the crown (for the stated reason) but would place grafts over the top of your head, when the same reason could apply to not treating that area. But I haven't seen your hair so I can't know for sure if there is any contradiction.

I do know that 300 grafts would not make any big difference to the crown. In fact that number of grafts probably won't make much of a difference if spread around. It would be interesting if you could show some photos so that we can see where the grafts were placed and how thin the various areas were before your procedure.

I don't think there is anything unusual about the timeframe in which you are experiencing shockloss. Minoxidil can cause a shed within weeks of applying it as it can put follicles into the resting (telogen) phase of their cycle. My advice would be to sit tight and not worry. Hairs lost due to shockloss return in most cases and any hairs lost due to the Minoxidil should start to re-grow at the time that your newly transplanted hairs start growing. So after an initial period of looking worse, everything should come together at roughly the same time.
    I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal

My FUE With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

Hi Matt,

Thanks for your reply.

I can't post pics right now, but I'll try later. Basically what the doc said was, he put the 300 grafts in on the top of the head whereever he could find 'gaps' where there was no hair growth at all. For the crown area he said all the roots were active but were incredibly thin and so he said I would better off trying to remedy it with drugs. His thinking was if he did put grafts in that area, the shock could permanently destroy the roots that are already there (albeit producing very thin hair).

The doc is sort of a family friend and has won many awards and has publications etc etc so there was no reason for me to think he was misleading me- he was getting paid either way anyway. But after reading some of the other posts I feel like maybe he could have put grafts in the crown area...so I am a bit disappointed.

Thanks for reassuring me about the shock loss, it was just that I have never experienced so much hair loss in one go. Either way, I will wait it out and wait for the hair to grow back.

Ah, that explains things. The doctor must have noticed miniaturization in your crown. Those type of hairs are indeed at more risk of being permanently lost due to shockloss, but can be returned to their original, healthy condition if the treatments are successful. This also bodes well for whatever you are seeing shedding from the transplanted area as your doctor must have felt that the hairs there were in a better condition than those at your crown.

Now it's a waiting game and patience is the key. The months will fly by.
    I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal

My FUE With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com