+ Reply to Thread

Default 500 Graft FUE - Weight training after 1 week?

Hey guys,

So I got a really small FUE procedure done - only 500 grafts. General recommendations for returning to weight training seem to be between 1 and 3 weeks depending on how conservative the surgeon is. There weren't any complications with my surgery, and I do not have any health issues which would necessitate extended recovery periods. But my surgeon seems to be one of the more conservative ones - recommending I wait 2 weeks before weight training to be safe. I am a professional athlete so I would like to return to training as soon as possible.

Got 2 questions:
    1. Is it unreasonable to return to weight lifting 1 week after such a a small FUE operation?
    2. Irrespective of whether you are 1 or 2 weeks post-surgery, do you have to wait until the donor site swelling has fully subsided before returning to exercise, or is this unnecessary?

Thanks

1. I'd say yes. I weight train and have been stuck waiting for mine to heal, but I look at it like this - I paid thousands of dollars for a procedure, why risk it getting ruined over a few missed weeks from the gym? The weights will always be there.

2. Another yes on waiting, even necessary. Of course doctor's want to be overly safe but there is a reason for that - some people take longer to heal than others. The swelling and redness is completely gone for me but I am still not going to risk it. Grafts are very delicate, you always risk infection when you start sweating.

I don't think there is a difference for getting back to exercise whether it's 500 grafts or 4500, we all face the same risks - infections, losing grafts, damage them, etc.

My suggestion - sit tight.

Yes, I agree with Patrick - sit tight. You can pick up your training after a couple more weeks without any long term detriment to your athletic ability, but if you harm your transplanted hairs now then that damage is permanent.
    I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal

My FUE With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com