X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ConfidenceMatters
    • May 2017

Introduction | Your opinion | My next steps

Hello all,

Long time reader of the forums, finally decided to start contributing as I reach the decision to do something about my hair loss.

I'm 29, and have been suffering from hair loss for approximately 4-5 years now. I have been supplementing with Minoxidil for this period, with some good success.

The Belgravia Clinic in London diagnosed male pattern baldness, however I decided against their recommended treatment after research. I am not willing to supplement finasteride either, as for me the *potential* effects are too great.

I have had a single consultation with Dr Shahmalak who was able to offer me a quote and treatment in a little under 2 minutes, with no real examination taking place. A mistake and a lesson learned.

I am now considering a trip to either Belgium (Dr Feriduni) or The Harley St Hair Clinic. Any thoughts or opinions on this would be welcome.

Honestly I fully realise my level of loss is not that bad when compared to many others, however it is certainly progressive and more than enough to derail my confidence.

Pictures of my current state are attached.

What is not quite evident in the pictures is the volume and level of recession in the corners, with one corner particularly badly affected. I have small bald patches and general thinning all around this area.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1726.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	12.9 KB
ID:	482692Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1720.jpg
Size:	19.9 KB
ID:	482693Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1719.jpg
Size:	16.8 KB
ID:	482694Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1724.jpg
Size:	13.9 KB
ID:	482695Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1718.jpg
Size:	7.4 KB
ID:	482696

If you have any thoughts on my loss, what I might consider or generally any comments at all I'd appreciate hearing from you.

Thanks.
  • BaldBearded
    • Jan 2017

Really hard to tell with your hair so short. Is there product in it? If so, that is making it look thinner, as the hair appears to be clumping together. Your hairline looks really strong.

Comment

• ConfidenceMatters
      • May 2017

Originally posted by BaldBearded
      Really hard to tell with your hair so short. Is there product in it? If so, that is making it look thinner, as the hair appears to be clumping together. Your hairline looks really strong.
      Thanks for the reply!

Yes, I do have wax in my hair. Part of the reason I have my hair so short is that it becomes more and more evident with length.

Regarding my hairline the picture I have taken do not show the level of thinning in my frontal area (corners). I'll aim to upload another.

Thanks

Comment

• ConfidenceMatters
        • May 2017

Corner thinning and recession more evident:

Name:	IMG_1727.JPG
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	441776

Comment

• BaldBearded
          • Jan 2017

Originally posted by ConfidenceMatters
          Corner thinning and recession more evident:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]52208[/ATTACH]
          I think if you stopped using the wax... it would appear you had a lot more hair. The wax makes it clump together.

Your hairline looks... fine. Do you shave it? It looks VERY straight?

My thoughts are that your biggest enemy is your current hair stylist. You need a bit more length... at least in the front/top.

Dump the wax, for sure!

Comment

• mattj
            Doctor Representative
            • Oct 2009

The wax and short hair length might be exaggerating things, but it looks like you might be thinning all over the top in a diffuse pattern. Do you have any photos with longer hair?

We definitely need to see your donor area with longer hair as its vital to judge donor density.
            I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal

My FUE With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

Comment

• ConfidenceMatters
              • May 2017

Originally posted by mattj
              The wax and short hair length might be exaggerating things, but it looks like you might be thinning all over the top in a diffuse pattern. Do you have any photos with longer hair?

We definitely need to see your donor area with longer hair as its vital to judge donor density.
              Hi Matt, I'll try to upload a couple of images to give an indication.

Interesting comment re: the diffuse, as this hasn't been mentioned before. Interestingly theee are some pictures of my Dad which demonstrate general thinning all over the top.

Comment

• mattj
                Doctor Representative
                • Oct 2009

Overall I see more signs of diffuse thinning than I do recession. In fact, most of your photos so far don't really show any recession as your hairline appear intact.

The photo you added separately shows that your left temple could be thinning at a faster rate than the rest, but overall the loss appears even. Especially in photo 3 of 5 in your original post.

Please upload some higher resolution photos without any hair product. They'll paint a clearer picture.

Comment

• ConfidenceMatters
                  • May 2017

Here are some images of my Dad - which certainly align to your comments Matt, re: general diffuse thinning on top.

I'll get to uploading my donor area and longer hair pics today.

Having been diagnosed with MPB at the Belgravia Clinic, my research has largely centered around this. Do my treatment options differ based on the potential diffuse thinning aspect?

Thanks

Name:	IMG_1733.JPG
Size:	26.4 KB
ID:	441779Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1736.jpg
Size:	9.5 KB
ID:	441780Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1735.JPG
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	441781

Comment

• ConfidenceMatters
                    • May 2017

Potential donor area below, also these pictures made me realise how thin I am at the back of my head (upper region) goodness me.

Name:	IMG_1747.jpg
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	441782Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1749.jpg
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	441783

Comment

• mattj
                      Doctor Representative
                      • Oct 2009

I definitely think that you're thinning in a diffuse pattern and I think the same can be said of your dad. What is his hair like now? He looks young in those photos so I'm assuming they aren't recent.

I agree that you're thinning downwards at the back into the potential donor area. This isn't uncommon in men with your hairloss pattern and unfortunately this suggests that you'll reach an advanced stage on the Norwood hair loss scale.

But as you keep your hair very short and it looks like it suits you, I wouldn't see this as all doom and gloom.

Comment

• ConfidenceMatters
                        • May 2017

Originally posted by mattj
                        I definitely think that you're thinning in a diffuse pattern and I think the same can be said of your dad. What is his hair like now? He looks young in those photos so I'm assuming they aren't recent.

I agree that you're thinning downwards at the back into the potential donor area. This isn't uncommon in men with your hairloss pattern and unfortunately this suggests that you'll reach an advanced stage on the Norwood hair loss scale.

But as you keep your hair very short and it looks like it suits you, I wouldn't see this as all doom and gloom.
                        My dad passed away at age 37, and these are the latest pictures.

So do you believe this pattern of loss would result in ineligibility for transplant?

Comment

• ConfidenceMatters
                          • May 2017

One thing I should mention is that I have had a razor fade on the sides and back for over a year now, normally once a week. This does seem to have accelerated and thickened the hair growth, perhaps explaining the darker/thicker appearance to some degree.

Comment

• mattj
                            Doctor Representative
                            • Oct 2009

Sorry to hear about your dad. I lost mine too some years back.

I do think that your hairloss pattern should make you cautious about having a hair transplant. The total area that is thinning appears to be very large, which would mean a lot of grafts are needed to cover it - and with the high possibility of continued thinning, you might end up with no more hair on the top than you had starting out. Plus the thinning is extending its way down into your potential donor area, decreasing the number of available grafts.

The bottom line is, I question whether any procedure you had would result in a significant cosmetic difference and whether the improvement would be worth it long term.

You have a very short haircut. Would it be the end of the world if you buzzed it down all over?

Comment

Working...