Has anyone tried FUE + SMP? - BaldTruthTalk.com
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Has anyone tried FUE + SMP?

Hey guys,

I'm a 29yo, who is progressing towards NW5-6.

I've contacted all surgeons on the IAHRS website with the intention of getting FUE and to see if I was eligible or not. All of them came back positive except one.

I don't have high expectations and don't expect any sort of full set of hair. All I want is something like Fredrik Ljungberg:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...215e151463.jpg

So I thought maybe restoring the hairline with FUE + a bit covering the top and scalp. And then getting some density from SMP.

What do you guys think? Is it possible?

One thing I'm worried about is scars from FUE. How small punches do you need for it to not be visible on a bald head?

would it possible to cover up the fue scars with SMP?

FUE is a traditional and outdated method and yes you are concerned there might be scars on the scalp after the treatment why don't you go for a FUT hair transplant surgery check this URL for more detailed information http://delhihairclinics.com/fut/

Quote Originally Posted by delhihairclinic View Post
    FUE is a traditional and outdated method and yes you are concerned there might be scars on the scalp after the treatment why don't you go for a FUT hair transplant surgery check this URL for more detailed information http://delhihairclinics.com/fut/
    FUT is the older technology and will leave more of a scar then FUE

Quote Originally Posted by Hairo View Post
    FUT is the older technology and will leave more of a scar then FUE
    Technically, FUE leaves more scar tissue. It's just that the human eye is attracted to patterns thus why a linear scar is infinitely more identifiable than properly spread out and random dot scars. If we assume a 25cm long strip scar at 2mm wide, you've got 5cm 2 of total scar tissue. That would be the typical length of a donor scar if 1cm wide strip were taken for 2000 grafts, assuming an average of 80 FU per cm2 in the donor area. With 2000 FUE, assuming a .8mm punch, the total scar tissue is 1600 mm or 16 cm2. That is three times the total amount of scar tissue from FUE when compared to FUT for the same # of grafts. That does not take into account the "spread" that typically occurs before the visual surface tissue.

Tuna, what you ask for is possible and I've seen it done. It can look good but the problem is that to go as short as the example you presented, you run the risk of having the dot scars revealed in the donor area, along the sides and the back of your scalp. SMP does not always work well in scar tissue as it is a different type of tissue than skin tissue. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't in that it can disappear quickly, or even worse, it can spread. I've seen both scenarios unfold in scar tissue.

I think the safest way to move forward to try and achieve what you want is to maybe have tricopigmentation first to create this look that you seek and then see how you like it and go from there.
    Joe Tillman
    The original Hair Transplant Mentor

Interested to know which doctors I recommend?
    See the full list at HairTransplantMentor.com/hair-transplant-doctors

Hi Joe,

Thanks for getting back to me. Can you tell me if there's always going to be dot scars? Or is it possible to use lower punches? Like .4mm or similar? All up it seems like a big risk to take if I have no way of covering the scars.

Quote Originally Posted by tuna123 View Post
    Hi Joe,

Thanks for getting back to me. Can you tell me if there's always going to be dot scars? Or is it possible to use lower punches? Like .4mm or similar? All up it seems like a big risk to take if I have no way of covering the scars.
    Hi Tuna,

I'm glad to help. Never forget, once you're cut, you're cut and every time there will be a scar. The size of the scar depends on three factors:

1. Your physiology, how you heal. Do you generally heal well when you get cut?

2. The size of the punch being used. As far as I know, .4mm medical punches are not made and the smallest I'm aware of is .5mm but I'm also not aware of any clinic using such small punches except for possibly Dr. Gho, which is a completely separate story. The punch size will depend on not only the doctor skill but also your graft bundle size. No amount of skill can get around the fact that certain size grafts require slightly larger than equal sized punch diameters.

3. The angle of the punch. An angle more flight to the plane of the scalp, usually which matches the exit angle of a graft, makes any round punch leave an elliptical scar. The ellipse will be larger than the punch itself so the scar as well will have a higher chance of being visible.

The idea of getting a hair transplant in order to shave your head is a long held dream by many and while FUE in seasoned hands has made this possible for many patients there are many more that were not so fortunate and regretted the attempt in it's entirety. My advice is to not have a hair transplant unless you understand not just the benefits, which can be intoxicating to think about, but also the consequences which can be equally devastating. If you do wind up having a hair transplant I believe you should be doing so with the goal of having hair to style, not to shave, because if you shoot for that goal it has a higher probability of success. With your goal you have two potential failure points, the growth and the donor scarring.
    Joe Tillman

Joe,

Thanks so much for your insight about the scarring. Is there really no way to consistently and effectively conceal the FUE scars with SMP? That's a major worry of mine, because I could definitely see myself thinning more late in life post-transplant and just wanting to go shaved.

No way that is guaranteed to work. If there were, there would be a lot more of these procedures going on. Don't misunderstand, they can work and work really well but it's just a gamble. The odds are in your favor but not completely.
    Joe Tillman

Ahh, that's disappointing. Hopefully, in the next few years surgical techniques and SMP will improve more to address this issue.