+ Reply to Thread

Default AMAZING results the 4th & 5th wk with Saw Palmetto...

...but after the 7th week, up to today, the 3 1/2 month mark, my shedding has accelerated. This past week more so.

I am a male 53 years old with a clean bill of health. I am very active and have a balance diet. I've had a hand full of HT's done over the course of 20 years. I've tried using Propecia for a month with zero results. I've tried Minoxidil for a month with nothing but shedding. I chose to stop because I didn't want to have such sparse hair due to cycles getting out of wack. I've also tried multivitamins, biotin, different shampoos, etc.

I've always had Saw Palmetto in the back of my mind. After reading more about the plant, and info on many forums, I decided to give it a try. What I've read is that there are 2 types of DHT, 1 main one which Propecia blocks, and the other, Saw Palmetto reduces. I read that the 'other' doesn't relate to the hair area, but figured since Propecia didn't work, why not try it. I've also read that after the 4th and 5th week you should start seeing some good new hair growth.

So I started taking Saw Palmetto the beginning of Feb. It wasn't till the 3rd week I started to see some new hairs. But after the 4th week I had a double take, shake my head and look again. Sure enough, many small hairs started piping up. After the 5th week, amazing results. The hair grew enough to where I didn't even need a hat anymore. Quite remarkable I would have to say.

But after the 7th week, I started noticing some hair is falling out, more than usual. Then it slowly progressed to today, marking 3 1/2 months on Life Extension softgels (320mg 85% beta-sitosterol) and a biotin mix.

I am not on any medications. I have not experienced any side effects with Saw Palmetto. Over the past 3 1/2 months, nothing is different in my life medically or physically, except for taking Saw Palmetto.

My question is, why the shedding? Could it be true the the hairs are being forced out early in their cycle in order for the new growth to occur?

Update: As of June I stopped. Seemed pointless after shedding for 3 1/2 months straight without any signs of regrowth. Still to this day, I have no clue why such amazing results at the 4th & 5th week on Saw Palmetto.

As of 6/23 I started Finasteride. After the first few weeks more shedding has occurred. As of today, 8/16 , I'm still shedding. But I will stick with it for another couple months. I understand noticeable results are after 6-12 months, but I believe shedding should at least stop, and a certain amount of hairs should be growing back.
    I will post my progress.

Did the shedding after stopping saw palmetto ever subside?

Unfortunately it didn’t. Total freak incident though.
    But as of now, I’ve been on Finasteride for the past 4 months. Since inception, my hair has grown back somewhere between 5-8%, and still growing. However, I still shed. But thankfully, my hair is growing back at a more positive pace.

Pics?

Sorry, don’t have any pics from before and after.
    But let me give you an update regarding my hair while on Finasteride. In between the 5th and 6th month(Nov/Dec), the amount of my hair has increased to a very happy 10-12%. However, it was short-lived. Shedding has occurred again. I am now on my 7th month with continual shedding. I have no clue why. I’m hoping that the Finasteride is pushing the last old hairs out that haven’t been affected by the chemical the first 6 months. That’s me just guessing.
    Anyway, I will continue to report my progress while on Finasteride. I’m currrntly taking Biotin, Vitamin E, and Fish oil, along with my nightly dose.
    A side note- I was on Rogaine 4 years ago in January for two months. I stopped it because the shedding was beyond ridiculous. Maybe it f’d up my hair cycles.

Nevertheless, between the 5th & 6th month of being on Finasteride, I was briefly happy.

At the end of the 9th month, I’m still shedding a lot. Yes, hairs are growing back, but at a lessor pace. Means I’m not gaining any ground. Not sure when this level of shedding will go back to normal. So far Finasteride is useless. But, I will stick to it, and play out the year.

Almost a year now on Finasteride...with supplements. Still shedding, with a little regrowth. Instead of gaining ground, I am losing ground. So far, the conclusion I get from using finasteride is, this drug ain’t worth a shit.

As of 12/2018, on Finasteride for 1 1/2 years, I stopped taking. Unfortunately, I noticed zero results while being on, and no change since being off for almost a month. Oh well, back to the drawing board.

Try topical dutasteride.
    Just posted my pics.
    It works.